none
Windows HPC Server: WCF Message Passing RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am a university student from the Czech Republic and the topic of my master thesis is "Parallel computing on Windows HPC Server 2008 using WCF" on our small cluster. Windows HPC Server 2008 offers to programmers SOA & WCF API, but it can be used only for embarrassingly parallel problems.

My main task in the thesis is a parallel calculation of the SVD for latent semantic indexing. Because this task requires communication between parallel tasks - uses message passing (aka MPI), my question is:

1) Exist in Windows HPC Server 2008 any solution for WCF-enabled applications with point-to-point and/or collective communication operations ?

and/or

2) Can I somehow communicate between HPC services while running HPC SOA session ?

Experiments in my master thesis must be written in Windows Communication Foundation.

Thanks for replies.

Best regards

Jakub Dostal

VŠB - Technical University of Ostrava, Czech Republic jakub.dostal.st@vsb.cz

Monday, March 29, 2010 10:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

HPC SOA is designed to address data parallel calulcation (e.g., monte-carlo simulation) which is different from which MPI is designed to address - those with big data-contention.

That said, you can still send messages between those services if you want using, as you said, WCF. You can even communicate directly with broker from service host. Can you be more specific on what do you mean by "in high performance mode"? And can you explain more on the problem you want to solve?

I've similar solutions built on HPC SOA 2008 which use WCF as a communication method between services. If you want to discuss in detail, you can send me an email yidingz _at_ micro soft dot com.

Thursday, April 8, 2010 5:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

HPC Server 2008 (and R2) doesn't provide a built-in capability to enable communication between services. However, it doesn't do anything to stop your from doing that. Meaning those services can talk with each other using WCF (or any other communication methods). But you need to figure out a way to find out those EPRs on service side.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 4:11 PM
  • Thanks for reply yidingz,

I am disappointed that there is no similar model as MPI, which would be usable for WCF services. I thought it would be possible to use WCF & SOA application model introduced by program leader Ming Xu.

If I understood your response, I can write myself in C # programming language model for the transmission of messages. It is clear - the ABC of WCF - address, binding, contract. But it is possible to configure the WCF messaging "in high performance mode "?

Thank you

Best regards

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 11:39 PM
  • Hi,

HPC SOA is designed to address data parallel calulcation (e.g., monte-carlo simulation) which is different from which MPI is designed to address - those with big data-contention.

That said, you can still send messages between those services if you want using, as you said, WCF. You can even communicate directly with broker from service host. Can you be more specific on what do you mean by "in high performance mode"? And can you explain more on the problem you want to solve?

I've similar solutions built on HPC SOA 2008 which use WCF as a communication method between services. If you want to discuss in detail, you can send me an email yidingz _at_ micro soft dot com.

Thursday, April 8, 2010 5:54 PM