"Users" are useless for me, guest permissions apply to all... RRS feed

• Question

• As the subject says:

I have two users on my server, as well as the active guest account. The users are the same username/password combination as on their respective machines. No matter what permissions I assign to these users, they only receive the permissions associated with the guest accout. The same is true even if I deactivate the guest account. The obvious workaround is to give the guest (and therefore all users) full permissions, but this is clearly not desirable. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Friday, June 10, 2011 8:42 PM

All replies

• Dave

Have you got a Homegroup set up with Windows 7. If so Home group permissions override WHS permissions.

Phil

Friday, June 10, 2011 9:22 PM
  • I read about that in another thread, and so I removed the server from the homegroup (a week or two ago). I now no longer see permissions for "homegroup" users, but "guest" users still override everything.

Is it possible that it's not seeing/recognizing the user? Can I somehow force a login to see if that makes a difference?

Friday, June 10, 2011 10:18 PM
  • Is it possible that it's not seeing/recognizing the user? Can I somehow force a login to see if that makes a difference?

(i know this is an old thread, but i need to know....)

I feel like this is exactly whats hapening when using homegroup....

my server only ever seems to see "guest" when i am using my gaming PC with the same username & password.

so im not able to access files shared with only "Scott"....

this drives me nuts... my only obvious option is to map the drive with different credentials or RDP.

This was never an issue with previous file sharing.

Any news on this???

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 5:23 AM