locked
Normalization Rules Not Executing RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have no problems getting calls in/out.  The only problem I have is with outgoing calls and how the "dialed" numbers are handled.

    Right now, I am looking at the logs of many test calls under so many different attempts to get the normalization/localization to engage, yet no matter what I do, it never changes the format of the number from the way it was dialed or submitted.

    In other words, whether the number is submitted via an Outlook Contact, or directly dialed from the keyboard, it does NOT normalize the number using the localization rules I carefully entered.

    For example 7135551212 is supposed to be converted to +17135551212, yet it does not add the +1.  However, if it is the Mediation Server that is supposed to do it, then I suppose that is happening and I'm not seeing it since it is not logged after that (I guess).

    I have set the "default location profile" in the "Voice" tab of the Front End Server Settings.
    I have set the "default location profile" in the "General" tab of the Mediation Server Settings.
    I have set the "Global Policy" in the Voice Settings properties to 1 of my created policies that for now lets everyone dial anywhere in the world they want.

    I imagine one would ask if my normalization rules are correct, and I can only say that I used the tool to create them, tested them, tested them inside the OCS Localication dialog, and they all work as intended.  They are really nothing special, add +1 in front of a 10 digit number, basically.  Take a 4 digit extension and pre-pend +1713555 in front of it.

    Yet if I dial 2507 it does nothing to change the number and therefore it does not find that +17135552507 is a valid Enterprise Voice User.  It sends it to the Mediation Server where it is unable to do anything with it I suppose.

    There is bound to be something obvious that I am missing.

    -Barry
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 1:03 PM

Answers

  • Even though our deployment was small when the ABServer tool says it may take 5 minutes for the rebuild and resync to work, it really might actually take 5 or more minutes.

    I re-ran the ABServer tool and re-sync'd, waited the 5 minutes and the normalization started working correctly on the MOC clients after sign-out/in.

    -Barry

    • Marked as answer by Barry Adkins Friday, May 15, 2009 8:05 PM
    Friday, May 15, 2009 8:05 PM

All replies

  • Take a look at these few articles to see if you have your translation patterns correct and if you have configured any rules for the Address Book Service to handle numbers published in AD.  Regardless of wheter you have rule in one or both places (EV and ABS) you should see the normlaization happening the OC client's Find Bar when numbers strings are dialed in.

    http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=17
    http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=26


    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Monday, April 20, 2009 12:36 PM
    Moderator
  • Normalization can be tons of fun. So let me see if I can help.

    So to begin with when you have your normalization rules correct you will actually see it normalize in the MOC client as you type it (if the MOC client recieved proper inband provisioning). So if you used enterprise voice route helper to build all your normalization rules and then uploaded them to the pool then in most cased the normalization will work. occasionally you may have to restart the client to see it normalizing correctly at the client.

    Normalization takes place at the client. (rules are sent down with in band provisioning) but if the client does not have the correct rule to normalize the number is still sent to the ocs pool with the phone context attribute attached if no match is found it goes to mediation server which also has the default location profile associated with it. if no match is found it fails.

    So some great tools to trouble shoot this are the trace files from MOC. so you can verify what is actually being sent. the degugging logs from the ocs pool so you can see what was recieved (sip stack is what you need to mark for a solid trace) and on the mediation server the debug needs to be setup with S4 if I remember correctly.

    Also if you used the Enterprise voice route helper to build your rules be sure you validate that it actually uploaded the rules to the ocs server. Check the Global voice properties i have had a couple of times where it failed to upload.

    For trouble shooting purposes I always start with just dialing the number from MOC manually once I have all of that working then I continue from there. 


    mitch
    Monday, April 20, 2009 3:55 PM
  • Even though our deployment was small when the ABServer tool says it may take 5 minutes for the rebuild and resync to work, it really might actually take 5 or more minutes.

    I re-ran the ABServer tool and re-sync'd, waited the 5 minutes and the normalization started working correctly on the MOC clients after sign-out/in.

    -Barry

    • Marked as answer by Barry Adkins Friday, May 15, 2009 8:05 PM
    Friday, May 15, 2009 8:05 PM