Music Playback Problem RRS feed

• Question

• This is a weird problem, and it is close to being a show-stopper for me with WHS.  I'm hoping I can get some ideas here, so don't be shy about replying...

Some background - I am a network enginner, MCSE, CCNA, etc.  I ran WHS in beta through a couple of versions, purely in a test mode without any critical data.  Now I have installed the RTM version on my media server hardware, and copied all my data to it.  Overall, WHS is working very well, backups are fine, added all my drives OK.  My network is wired Gigabit Ethernet.

Previously, I was running Windows XP on my media server, with separate shares for Music, Movies, etc.  I mainly access the media through a HTPC currently running Vista Media Center.  With the XP media server, the music playback was always problem-free.  I have some big playlists, which I run with Shuffle enabled.

Since I moved the data to WHS, I have a very aggravating problem with music playback.  The playlist will begin playing, and the first couple of songs are OK.  Then, when a new song starts, it plays the first few seconds OK, then it stops.  The music remains paused for 10-15 seconds then it starts playing again and finsihes the rest of the song OK.  This process repeats like clockwork every 3 or 4 songs.

So far, I have tried -

Re-creating the playlist.

Deleting and re-creating the music library through Windows Media Player.

Encountered the exact same behavior when using WMP for playback instead of Media Center.

I'm really hoping to get this fixed - any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Another question - what support, if any, am I entitled to through Microsoft's regular support channels?  Since this is an OEM product, I realize the answer may be "None", but it doesn't hurt to ask.  Thanks a lot,

DE

Monday, October 15, 2007 2:44 PM

All replies

• Regarding support, you're entitled to nothing in the way of free support. You agreed to that when you installed the OEM software. Smile You can pay for support, though.

Regarding the media issues, I don't use WHS/Media Connect for streaming audio (I use Firefly to stream ALAC), so I can't really help you. I'm sure someone with expertise in this area will come along soon, though.
    Monday, October 15, 2007 3:50 PM
  • Ken,

Thanks for the reply.  As you can see, I haven't gotten much else in the way of suggestions here.

I am willing to go the paid support route.  Can you (or anyone) give me some further details on how to start that process?

Take care,

DE

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 1:19 PM
  • You will need to get the telephone number for Microsoft support for your area and give them a call.

Try here as a starting point (mine shows a UK number) :

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support

Andrew

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 1:40 PM
  • I have started seeing the same issue - music playback pauses for 10-15 secs - when playing music stored on my WHS via MCE. I can't say whether it is every 3 or 4th track, but I have had long pauses in playback.

I have also been monitoring network activity when I try moving files to my WHS. Again I often see long periods of zero network activity during file transfer (GB wired lan). Don't know if the two symptoms are related though.

Sorry, not found the cause yet.

Ben

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 4:02 PM
  • Have either of you guys experiencing pauses in music playback run perfmon while the problem is occurring?  It would be helpful to know if the disk queue length is going crazy or if there's a lot of processor or memory activity at the time the pause occurs. 

I'm assuming (and please let me know if I'm wrong) that if you're using Windows Media Center that you're connecting to the \\server\music share and not using Windows Media Connect.  I haven't had any issues with pauses / drops via direct share connections. 

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 4:31 PM
  • Thanks for the replies.

I have not run perfmon yet on this problem, but I will.  However, my gut tells me that this is not a hardware issue, because it always happens at the beginning of a song.  Never in the middle, never towards the end.  It seems if it were a HW problem, that it would strike more randomly.  Also, prior to the WHS release, I was running Windows XP on the same hardware, and it worked perfectly.

In both cases, I have used the \\server\share to access the files, and I would prefer to keep it that way.

I really hope MS will step up and help me fix this.  I don't mind paying for the support call if that is what it takes, but this sure is a pain...

DE

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 5:33 PM
  • Hi DEdwards -

Have a couple questions for you:

• What size is your music library?
    • Is it duplicated?
    • How many hard drives are in your Windows Home Server and what interface?
    • What add-ins have you installed on your Windows Home Server?
    • Are you using the streaming feature or are you adding the music folder to Windows Media Players "Watched Folders" list?
    • Have you tried turning off the media streaming feature, rebooting, and turning the feature back on after the Windows Home Server has been rebooted?

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 8:33 PM
  • Hi Joel,

I'm working from memory here -

My library is about 1600 tracks worth of WMA lossless - around 40-50 GB total

I am not using any folder duplication

I have 5 internal SATA drives

No add-ins

I am not using WMC sharing - I added the folder to "Watched Folders" using the UNC path - \\mediaserver\music

I have deleted and re-scanned the library several times in WMP.

Thanks for the follow-up,

DE

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 8:47 PM
  •  

Can you try playing your music through Media Sharing?  You have to enable that in Windows Media Player 11 and enable it in Windows Home Server.
    Wednesday, October 17, 2007 9:51 PM
  • I'm certainly willing to try this.  It's very straightforward to enable the feature in WHS.

I'm unclear on what to do in WMP.  Can you advise?

DE

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 10:26 PM
  •  

This only works with Windows Vista and I just read you are trying to do this with Windows XP.

For Windows Vista,

• Open Windows Media Player
    • Click Tools
    • Click Options
    • Click Library
    • Click Media Sharing
    • Check "Find media that others are sharing"
    • Click OK
    • Click OK
    Wednesday, October 17, 2007 10:56 PM
  • Also, does this only happen when playing from the play list?

Say... you decided to just load a bunch of songs into the now playing list, does it still pause?

Thursday, October 18, 2007 1:38 AM
  • I was able to get Windows Media Sharing enabled, and I can see my library of songs under that heading.

Did not have time to check the other functions - will do more testing tonight.

Thanks again,

DE

Thursday, October 18, 2007 12:19 PM
  • Just as an FYI, I am forwarding this onto the team and I am making sure this gets tested.  All this information will be used to investigate the issue and others may follow up with you.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 8:32 PM
  • Hi Joel,

Thanks for the responses.

I had a chance to do some more testing - naturally I have good news and bad news...

I got the Media Sharing feature enabled, and I can see the music library using that feature.  When I access the library this way, the tracks play smoothly without any pauses.

However, this only works from within Window Media Player.  When I try to access the music library in Media Center, it is empty unless I use the "Add folder to watch" method.  And this doesn't work unless I first populate the library using the same method in WMP.

When accessing the library using the "Add folder" method, the pauses return.  This happens with playlists, and when I just drag a few tracks to the Now Playing list.

I am planning to do a fresh install of Vista on a test machine this weekend, and see if I get the same results there.

DE

Friday, October 19, 2007 12:52 PM
  • I just added this to an internal e-mail.  I'm trying to find an answer of why this could be happening.

Friday, October 19, 2007 6:08 PM
  • I did the fresh install of Vista on a different machine and got the same result.

DE

Saturday, October 20, 2007 9:20 PM
  • Can you try disabling the QSM service and see if this problem still happens?

1.       Open CMD

2.       Type, “sc config qsm start= disabled” hit enter

3.       Type, “Net stop qsm” hit enter

To start  QSM again

1.       Open CMD

2.       Type, “sc config qsm= auto” hit enter

3.       Type, “Net start qsm

Let me know what happens here, thanks in advance!

Monday, October 22, 2007 11:03 PM
  • Will do.

If I understand correctly, this is the Storage Manager service?

Thx,

DE

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 7:27 PM
  • Joel,

I stopped the qsm service and it had no effect on the playback problem.  Still getting the lockup every couple of songs.

Thanks again for all your help,

DE

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 9:35 PM
  • This might be a complete red herring, but...

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away, I had similar problems with a media player (can't recall if it was WMP or not).  Whenever a track started playing, it would either delay for a few seconds before playing or play a few seconds, then pause, then resume.  EVERY time.  In my case, the problem had to do with the media player looking for metadata for the current track on the 'Net... it wanted to display album art, track comments, etc and searched for those things on CDDB or Urge or whereever... and hung while it was waiting for results.

Don't know if that has any relation to your problem at all... but it would seem to me that if you are playing the stuff from a share/Library, those sorts of metadata lookups are likely to happen, whereas if you simply stream the music from the folder you won't see it...?

Again, maybe a red herring, but happy to give you more suggestions.  Smile

tkarp

Thursday, October 25, 2007 5:25 AM
  • Hey thanks - believe me I'm open to any and all suggestions.  Smile  I will play around with the metadata settings and do some further testing.

I know when I'm troubleshooting a problem, it's easy to get hung up on a "false lead" and fail to see anything else.  Another perspective is always welcome.

In this case, I keep thinking it's some sort of issue between WHS and Vista.  Currently I have WHS on the media server and Vista on the client.  Previously I had XP on the media server and had no problems with the same client.  Now, if I run WMP on an XP client machine, it works OK too.

I'm baffled, but still hoping for a fix before I have to give up on WHS and go back to XP for the server.

DE

Thursday, October 25, 2007 12:19 PM
  • We are using Vista in our corporate environment and were having troubles with file transfers and, of all things, ODBC connections to our SQL databases timing out.  We did some searching and finally ended up turning off Vista's auto-tuning on the network.

netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

This cured our timeout problems. 

We also turn off a Windows Feature:  Remote Differential Compression

I know it's a wild shot, but appartently Vista is doing a lot of network stuff differently.

David

Thursday, October 25, 2007 1:21 PM
  • Turning of Remote Differential Compession worked wonders for my Windows Vista Media Center to Windows Home Server connection.  Night and Day! 

However, the team still wanted to follow up on this so I will pass this information on and see where it goes.  Stay tuned for further steps to try.

Thursday, October 25, 2007 8:21 PM
  • Well, I had high hopes for this, but...

I tried both of the steps listed above (RDC and autotuning) on the Vista client, but no luck.

I'm assuming these do not exist on WHS, but just on Vista?

I'll try whatever changes you can come up with.  I'm curious as to exactly what difference the RDC setting made in your setup?

Take care,

DE

Thursday, October 25, 2007 10:42 PM
  • For us, RDC didn't produce much change in our environment.  The autotuning had the most impact on our timeout issues.  For the Vista clients (both at work and at home) there are a few network related hotfixes (don't recall the list) for Vista and then the tweaks I listed above.

When I was moving files to my WHS from Vista clients, the throughput was very erratic.  From XP clients to the server every thing went smoothly.  I spent a lot of time just monitoring the bandwidth usage on the task manager.  Just comparing XP network communication to Vista's showed me that Vista can transfer at much greater throughput but the longer the transfer runs the more erratic it becomes on Vista.  IMO, MS still has some work to do on the network side of things for Vista.

At home, I have 3 Vista MCE computers pointing at 2 different WHS machines and they all seem to play fine.  I performed the same tweaks and hotfixes on each.  I was mostly worried about video playback from the servers so that's what I did all of my testing with, adding the updates and tweaks along the way.  All of my hardware is relatively new (Core 2 Duos etc) and all running on Linksys gigabit switches.  In any case, I've played hours of music so far without hitch but I can't really say that any of the changes helped this situation as I really don't know that a problem existed at the beginning.

David

Friday, October 26, 2007 1:54 PM
  • I'm experiencing the exact same problem as the OP - 15 second audio cut-outs every two or three tracks. It could get annoying.

My WHS is running a clean install RTM. The Music folder is duplicated. I have about 8000 variable bit-rate songs using about 70GB. My network is wired Gigabit. I'm playing the music using WMP 11 on a Vista Business desktop. I accessed the WHS Music folder by changing the location property of my default Music directory to \\SERVER\Music.

Looking forward to a solution... anything I should try?
    Friday, October 26, 2007 2:37 PM
  • Have you tried referencing a mapped drive rather than a share? 

Also, this article relates to speed issues on GB LANs http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929707. This may not be relevant given the strange info that the cut-out is always at the start of a track but may be worth a try.

Alan

Friday, October 26, 2007 3:55 PM
  • Same problem if the drive is mapped. I don't use mapped drives because they cause problems, particularly with installers which use InstallShield (a lot).

The Microsoft article you refer to addresses a problem with consumer-grade Gigabit switches choking when large amounts of Windows Media Center video data flows from a Gigabit connection to a 100Mbps connection. I'm going Gigabit to Gigabit, and this is just a Windows audio stream. My Gigabit switch also handles HD video streams with no problems.

Friday, October 26, 2007 4:41 PM
  • Since you are looking into this, you might also want to have a look at this discussion.

/B

Monday, October 29, 2007 9:30 PM
  • Bjorn,

Thanks for posting this - I had not seen that thread.

I'm encouraged that others are experiencing the same problem - not that I wish them ill...

But I do think the more people who have this problem, the more likely it is that we will see a fix.

Thanks again,

DE

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 3:27 PM
  •  BjornUppsala wrote:

Since you are looking into this, you might also want to have a look at this discussion.

/B

Yep, added that to the internal thread a couple days ago.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 8:25 PM
  •  

I think you'll find that the gigabit issue is a bit more generic and relates to throttling issues in Vista.  Check out http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2007/08/27/1833290.aspx.

Cheers

Alan

Thursday, November 1, 2007 8:04 AM
  • Thanks for the link.  I read Mark's blog via the link posted in the "WMP Streaming" thread.  I suspect that these issues are related, but I don't believe they are one and the same.  I actually tried disabling the MMCSS service using the instructions posted there. 

It did not help with the pausing issue, and actually made matters worse by causing all sorts of stuttering in addition to the "10-second-pause-per-song".

DE

Thursday, November 1, 2007 12:07 PM
  • bump

????

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 7:07 PM
  • I'm having a similar issue on a new WHS installation. I'm using Vista Ultimate and was accessing my music files (about 7500 mp3s) on a USB drive attached to an old XP machine. I had the drive as a Mapped drive and everything was working fine. But when I got WHS I decided to put all the music files on the WHS shared folder. It was a long, slow process to move them to the shared folder. Because I read that it was better to map to the directory as \\server\music instead of M:\music I had to rebuild my Media Player libary. That was very, very slow.... and I am experiencing intermittent slow downs. So I remapped the folder to M:\music and rebuilt the library again. I'm seriously thinking of moving all my music back to a local folder and just using WHS as backup.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a fix coming?

Thanks.

Eric

Athalon 64 with 1GB ram

3 drives, 1-400 and 2-500

Folder duplication and media sharing on the shared folders

gigabit switch and giga bit nics in the vista and WHS machines

3 computers attached with only 1 using the media files at most times

A couple add ins - WHS toolkit, Wiist, Event monitor, Asoft AutoExit

APC UPS monitoring software on server

Find media On but Share my media off on Vista Machine, but I do not see any shared files

Thursday, November 8, 2007 3:03 AM
  • Not sure if this muddies the water but I am having the same problem with MP3 files to a Roku Soundbridge unit.

I've not had a lot of time to test but the symptoms are the same and no Vista in sight.

The server is OEM and I've never seen the CPU above 30% - I'll open a new thread this weekend when I can get back home to document the set up.

Andrew

Thursday, November 8, 2007 6:08 PM
  • That I haven't seen reported before, I now have a Soundbridge too and never had problems streaming music to it from the WHS. In the beginning I used the built in Media server-function and no problems, then I installed the latest FireFly nightly with the Add-in. Also running smooth.

I guess you can play internet-radio on your Roku without problems so you know for sure the problem is the WHS and not the network itself? Tried an alternative Media Server?

/b

Thursday, November 8, 2007 9:33 PM
  • I too have the same probelm
    Folder duplication is turned on And I have 2 drives

It worked fine at first but it has recently started usaully happens at the 

beginning of a song .

Thursday, November 8, 2007 10:11 PM
  • These might be similar to problems I have had with my Slimdevices Squeezebox. It would play for awhile and then stop. Pressing play got things going again, but after a random (1 - 45 minutes) the music would stop again.

The problem I had was with the Windows Firewall.
    Whilst the required ports looked open, if I turned the firewall off - problem solved.
    Firewall on - same problem.

Could you try turning off your WHS firewall and see if it resolves your problem.
    Please report back - I would be interested if my problem was an isolated issue or not.

regards
    Thursday, November 8, 2007 10:57 PM
  • I tried turned off firewall   still busted.

Anyone form MS want to chime in on this one?
    Tuesday, November 13, 2007 9:27 PM
  • I'm hoping for a response on this as well.  In the meantime, I have copied my music library to a local drive on the media center PC.

I've heard rumors of SP1 for Vista - any chance that this might fix the issue?

DE

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 2:22 PM
  • My primary OEM installation of WHS isn't experiencing any problems currently, but I recall having this exact same issue during the testing fase. It began to occur after I added a second disk to the pool and enabled duplication.

Since I'm running a MS Virtual Server 2k5 I've just created a WHS installation with 2 disks and duplication enabled on the music folder. And presto there was the same issue. Playing the first 2 to 5 tracks in an album is fluid but the next can make both winamp (2.95) and WMP (11.0) lock up.

Disabling duplication on the music share doesn't seem to get rid of the problem.

A fix for this issue is ofcourse needed, but I'm currently working my way around it by having WHS installed on a 600GB sized RAID5 array, hence no need (yet) for adding another drive to the pool.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 2:09 PM
  • I just got back in from Spain for IT Forum so I haven't been following up with a lot of different issues on the forums.  I just sent out another internal thread to find out where we are with this.  I will post back when I know more.

A few of the team members have tried to re-create this and have not had success.  That is why it's taking longer.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 8:56 PM
  • Have the same problem.

New WHS install

approx 2000 loosless WMA songs. Folder duplication.

Running Vista Home Premium. WMP11

Playing ok for 20 sec. them stop for 20 sek then play again.

Running A Gigabit Wired LAN

at this time only the WHS and one computer on the network.

When looking at the network when plying music it's only at 1% of max use..!!!!!! But still get the music stops..

Can't use WHS for music a the moment :-(

Henrik

Denmark

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 9:57 AM
  • Is anyone having this problem NOT running a gigabit LAN?

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 10:09 AM
  •  AlanRR wrote:
    Is anyone having this problem NOT running a gigabit LAN?

Yes - mine is to a wireless Roku unit and the WHS LAN card is 10/100 - no gigabit in the house.

Andrew

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 1:45 PM
  • I have this issue as well. I believe it is directly related to network performance and has nothing to do with Windows Media Player playlists etc.

If you just double click a mp3 thats on a shared folder it takes forever to play in some cases. It is even worse when trying to play a video off a WHS share.

In some cases simply copying a file off WHS the network performance is brutal in around 750KB/s. At one point I was getting 2MB/s but now I'm lucky if I get 750KB/s and it takes awhile to get up to that speed which would explain why media player takes so long to get enough data to begin playing.

My WHS is connected through LAN, desktop is connected through wireless. It is not a network issue though because within other machines transfers are much faster so its not a network configuration issue.

WHS as an OS is working great for me and I love all the infrastructure it provides however I am having some real usage issues. The idea of WHS is to have my media / files / downloads all on one server. This is becoming very problematic though because I am having the following issues:

1. Network performance sucks for some reason all the sudden. MP3's are only 5-6MB and it can't even play them smoothly without pausing 10-15 seconds hanging media player (hanging my taskbar if its in the taskbar toolbar mode) which is causing switching tasks / start menu to completely lock up.

2. Data corruption. WHS knowledge base says to get around this by "don't use apps that use NTFS alternate streams" however how is the user supposed to know what these are. Did you know if you open your home movies in Movie Maker from a shared folder your video file is now corrupt and ruined? This also affects apps such as BitTorrent. I was downloading some RAR files to a shared folder and it results in 80% of the RAR files being corrupt. To solve this I have to point my temp download location to the C Sys drive partition, then when completed move them to the storage pool.

This is very problematic because the Sys partition is only 15GB free.

I am really loving WHS dispite what you might read here but I am definately hitting some very frustrating points. The big thing for me is data integrity. WHS needs to be as reliable as a desktop with windows shares (which never corrupts data). Data corruption because of software faults is not acceptable. We are storing our home videos, home photos etc on these. That is the point of WHS. Right now I fear for all my data on the OS and this is the whole purpose of the OS.

3. The remote access automatic router configurator. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why my WHS had broken internet. I could browse to google.ca or pages that were very minimal however windows update, microsoft.com or any site such as that would simply half load and be completely broken. This also stopped windows update from working, and the homeserver.com dynamic dns update application fails. Internet is completely half-working. I narrowed it down to the automatic router configurator button. If I clicked "unconfigure" all my internet was completely restored.

Originally I had thought it was MTU issues with PPPoE but all my other PC's were working however all the googling indicated MTU issues can solve this if the MTU is improperly set.

My router is a Dlink WBR-2310. Very common here in Canada. Sold at Staples, Futureshop etc. This is going to cause huge issues. I did all the port forwarding manually now and I am fine but the average home user is going to have a real bad experience on this one.

Sorry to be so harsh but I love WHS and I am harsh on it because I feel these rough edges are very critical and painful however once these are behind us, the OS should be a dream Smile

Thanks and take care.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 4:11 PM
  • What Roku unit are you using?  That is interesting you are experiencing the problem because it seems the issue hasn't been with Windows Media Connect in Windows Home Server but with music playing from the SMB shares (the shared folders).

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 4:39 PM
  • I am reading a lot of forums here about issues which are either directly speaking of network performance between WHS and Vista or WHS and other devices/OS's and other topics which can definately occur if network performance is an issue.

Perhaps in the WHS connector the PC could test its performance between itself and the WHS and report to us a "rating" of how common tasks like music, video, file sharing rates in network performance. This way we can identify that our server may be suffering network performance because this relates to many tasks in WHS. I had a backup going for 12+ hours and I couldn't figure out why.

If the connector or WHS health told us performance was rated at X speed and it would affect things such as X, y, z we could easier report to you. That way instead of getting forum topics about 100 things that may all relate to network issues.

Just a thought.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 4:46 PM
  •  Synced23 wrote:

I have this issue as well. I believe it is directly related to network performance and has nothing to do with Windows Media Player playlists etc.

If you just double click a mp3 thats on a shared folder it takes forever to play in some cases. It is even worse when trying to play a video off a WHS share.

In some cases simply copying a file off WHS the network performance is brutal in around 750KB/s. At one point I was getting 2MB/s but now I'm lucky if I get 750KB/s and it takes awhile to get up to that speed which would explain why media player takes so long to get enough data to begin playing.

My WHS is connected through LAN, desktop is connected through wireless. It is not a network issue though because within other machines transfers are much faster so its not a network configuration issue.

WHS as an OS is working great for me and I love all the infrastructure it provides however I am having some real usage issues. The idea of WHS is to have my media / files / downloads all on one server. This is becoming very problematic though because I am having the following issues:

1. Network performance sucks for some reason all the sudden. MP3's are only 5-6MB and it can't even play them smoothly without pausing 10-15 seconds hanging media player (hanging my taskbar if its in the taskbar toolbar mode) which is causing switching tasks / start menu to completely lock up.

2. Data corruption. WHS knowledge base says to get around this by "don't use apps that use NTFS alternate streams" however how is the user supposed to know what these are. Did you know if you open your home movies in Movie Maker from a shared folder your video file is now corrupt and ruined? This also affects apps such as BitTorrent. I was downloading some RAR files to a shared folder and it results in 80% of the RAR files being corrupt. To solve this I have to point my temp download location to the C Sys drive partition, then when completed move them to the storage pool.

This is very problematic because the Sys partition is only 15GB free.

I am really loving WHS dispite what you might read here but I am definately hitting some very frustrating points. The big thing for me is data integrity. WHS needs to be as reliable as a desktop with windows shares (which never corrupts data). Data corruption because of software faults is not acceptable. We are storing our home videos, home photos etc on these. That is the point of WHS. Right now I fear for all my data on the OS and this is the whole purpose of the OS.

3. The remote access automatic router configurator. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why my WHS had broken internet. I could browse to google.ca or pages that were very minimal however windows update, microsoft.com or any site such as that would simply half load and be completely broken. This also stopped windows update from working, and the homeserver.com dynamic dns update application fails. Internet is completely half-working. I narrowed it down to the automatic router configurator button. If I clicked "unconfigure" all my internet was completely restored.

Originally I had thought it was MTU issues with PPPoE but all my other PC's were working however all the googling indicated MTU issues can solve this if the MTU is improperly set.

My router is a Dlink WBR-2310. Very common here in Canada. Sold at Staples, Futureshop etc. This is going to cause huge issues. I did all the port forwarding manually now and I am fine but the average home user is going to have a real bad experience on this one.

Sorry to be so harsh but I love WHS and I am harsh on it because I feel these rough edges are very critical and painful however once these are behind us, the OS should be a dream

Thanks and take care.

Information like this is very important to us and we are listening and working on polishing Windows Home Server to be the best it can be.  Unfortunately, the Dlink WBR-2310 is not on the hardware compatibility list.  A great place to check first when purchasing a router or when experiencing router issues is here:

http://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/Default.aspx?m=v

A lot of different routers just are not up to good spec and the UPnP forwarding cannot happen correctly because of this.  I personally am hoping to see Windows Home Server become one of the technologies that helps define standards to make our home technology life simpler and more reliable.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 4:54 PM
  •  

Thanks for the reply!

As I see it data corruption is a definate critical show stopper. People are going to be editting home movies, playing music, setting download managers to go straight to these storage machines.

As far as the configure router thing. I understand its not a supported router. That is fine. Although unfortunate because it is one of the major models sold at Staples & Futureshop but that aside there are 2 solutions WHS can handle "uncompatible" routers smoother:

1. Simply prompt the detected router is not supported. Please make the following changes manually (list ports tcp/udp that should be forwarded).

2. Attempt to configure router properly, during the validation check also do outgoing transfer check because in this routers case I believe the MTU is all messed up and images etc are unable to download because of segmenting issues (hunch, all the signs follow the MTU KB articles). If the internet connection to windows update or anything like that is broken, that means the WHS is severely broken in connectivity so disable all the router configurations. Prompt the user stating the same as item #1.

If things are unsupported and still "work" that is great, and if the validation test can confirm this, then awesome. But if your not willing to go to all that work and simply want to not configure uncompatible routers that is a better experience than having a WHS that the connectivity is completely fubar.

I could not download drivers, I could not go to windows update, the only thing I could go to is pages without images where the entire site would fit into one segment I believe, which relates to the MTU.

Just a thought on how to better handle the situation Smile I understand you can't be compatible with the "entire world" but you can handle when things go wrong.

P.S. Again I stress I really love the product when I am going to feel its solid it is going to be a dream for me.

I can hardly wait for things like Windows Mobile to support using WHS via WiFi or even the homeserver.com dynamic dns if possible. That kind of stuff would be killer.

Thanks and take care.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 5:06 PM
  •  DEdwards556683 wrote:
    I got the Media Sharing feature enabled, and I can see the music library using that feature.  When I access the library this way, the tracks play smoothly without any pauses. However, this only works from within Window Media Player.  When I try to access the music library in Media Center, it is empty unless I use the "Add folder to watch" method.  And this doesn't work unless I first populate the library using the same method in WMP.

I'm late to this thread, but here's something I've noticed: when I play music via WMP when the music has been added via monitoring a shared folder on the WHS, the blue progress bar is a single colour because, I think, the software thinks the media is locallly stored. I get pauses when I play music off my wife's laptop this way (it's connected via hard wire).

However, when I'm patient enough to wait for the library to populate accessing the WHS via the library sharing feature (good grief it takes a long time!) I notice when I play a song there are TWO blue lines. One darker blue line is the progress indicator, the lighter blue line is, I think, indicating some sort of streaing or progressive download. I never have pausing problems when I listen to music this way.

The frustration here, of course, is that I have to chose between snappy library performance or pauses in the music. Neither is acceptable, and my wife (who has this problem the most often) is not at all impressed with WHS. If a technology doesn't pass the wife test, it's in for a rough road in the home...

- Jason

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 5:55 PM
  • Hi everyone,

This is my first time on this forum since purchasing WHS, anyway I would like to add a possible fix for this Music Playback Issue people seem to be having.

Has anyone tried adding the /USEPMTIMER switch the end of the boot.ini file?

This worked for me a while ago with issues regarding streaming media and SQL Server 2005, I know what you are thinking...that's a strange mixture, well it may well fix the issue here.

/USEPMTIMER - Forces the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) to use ACPI Power Management Timer (PMTimer/PMT) as the constant High Resolution Timer (HRT) to generate clock interupts. Instead of using the Real Time Clock (RTC) or the 8254 Programmable Interval Timer (PIT). The AMD driver for the X2 dual core processor adds this setting, because the default processor timestamp-counter (TSC) is not synchronized properly between cores, and causes certain applications to run at double speed.

This problem is caused by the incorrect interpretation of the timing values that are returned by the system when hyperthreading is enabled, and the computer power state changes. This problem may occur when you do any one of the following:
    • On the Music tab in the DirectX Diagnostic Tool (Dxdiag.exe), you click Test DirectMusic.
    • You play a computer-based game.
    • You listen to TV sound in Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition.

You need to add it as per example below:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /usepmtimer

I now implement this on every server I build now.

Give it a try.

Regards

Dale

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 7:16 PM
  • That sounds like a multi-core timing issue. My WHS is single core. As most will be I imagine (until single cores are gone) because most consumer WHS systems will focus the cost on storage rather than processing power.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 7:31 PM
  • Yes, but the issue I had was on a single core, it won't hurt to try it.

Regards

Dale

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 7:45 PM
  • Synced23,

Please contact whsforum@microsoft.com we would like to further understand the corruption issues you are seeing with torrent.

thanks,

Mark

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 7:54 PM
  •  dlangham wrote:
    Yes, but the issue I had was on a single core, it won't hurt to try it.

I'll give this a try, but I'm pretty ticked off that such incredibly obscure steps may be required in order to see proper performance in such a core scenario (music playback).

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 7:57 PM
  •  Jason Dunn wrote:

dlangham wrote:
    Yes, but the issue I had was on a single core, it won't hurt to try it.

I'll give this a try, but I'm pretty ticked off that such incredibly obscure steps may be required in order to see proper performance in such a core scenario (music playback).

I know what you mean, it is not that well documented either, with SQL Server 2005 it affects the Reporting Services which in turn uses the dotnet platform...work that one out, I had months of issues with it until someone told me to try it, now as a matter of course, I always add it in.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 8:03 PM
  •  

Could you guys do a simple fairly-large file transfer from your WHS box to your PC and report the speed it was transfering at?

I suspect most issues are related to media player simply not getting the data quickly although lets try to confirm this.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 8:08 PM
  •  

It looks like most of you are using Gigabit network, I'am only using 10/100 network and never had or have problem play Music from WHS to Vista Media Center, have any of you checked the "flow control" option in your NIC driver?
    Wednesday, November 21, 2007 8:21 PM
  •  Synced23 wrote:

Could you guys do a simple fairly-large file transfer from your WHS box to your PC and report the speed it was transfering at?

I suspect most issues are related to media player simply not getting the data quickly although lets try to confirm this.

I have just downloaded a 13.5MB mp3 file from my WHS box and got 11.5MB/Sec over a 30 metre Cat5 10/100 wired Lan.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 8:22 PM
  • Sounds about fast enough.

I believe my router is a gigabit capable router but I am only using 100mbit & a couple WiFi clients.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 8:39 PM
  • I believe this has something to do with processor types with regards to the processor timer.

Maybe we should ask what processors everyone has who is having issues and see if there is a common factor.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 9:02 PM
  • I have no issues streaming music or video to my vista Media Center.  My WHS is running and Intel Core 2 Duo (E6400?) and my LAN is 100Mb Wired.

Thursday, November 22, 2007 8:56 AM
  •  dlangham wrote:
    You need to add it as per example below:
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /usepmtimer

I tried this change a few weeks ago, but this morning when my wife was listening to Christmas music, the playback paused for a good 30 seconds before resuming.

This is completely and utterly ridiculous that WHS can't perform this basic task. There are so many things I love about WHS, but if it can't let me centralize my music, then it's far less useful to me than it should be.

Between music streaming problems, client connection problems, database/backup corruption issues, I *swear* the beta worked better than the 1.0 product....!?
    Sunday, December 2, 2007 4:04 PM
  •  Synced23 wrote:
    Could you guys do a simple fairly-large file transfer from your WHS box to your PC and report the speed it was transfering at? I suspect most issues are related to media player simply not getting the data quickly although lets try to confirm this.

I'm doing a transfer of three song folders, about 350 MB in total, and connected at 48 mbps wirelessly, I'm getting transfers in the realm of 1.5 to 1.8 MB per second. If it really was just an issue of not having enough bandwidth to stream a 256 kbps MP3 file (which really requires no bandwidth at all), as soon as I kicked off the file transfer I should have heard the music stop playing - it didn't. However, at one point duing the transfer (which took perhaps 2 minutes or so), the music did stop playing - I watched the transfer speed and it remained in the same 1.5 to 1.8 MB range.

So from my point of view, I don't believe it's a lack of bandwidth issue...even the slowest, most clogged network should be able to reliable stream 256 kb worth of data every second without interruptions.

Sunday, December 2, 2007 4:10 PM
  •  Richard A Miller wrote:
    It looks like most of you are using Gigabit network, I'am only using 10/100 network and never had or have problem play Music from WHS to Vista Media Center, have any of you checked the "flow control" option in your NIC driver?

I'm using an Intel PRO/1000 GT gigabit network adaptor on a home-build box with a 3.2 Ghz Celeron CPU, 1 GB of RAM. Where would I find the "flow control" option in the NIC drive? I looked at the NIC in device manager, but didn't see any option for flow control. I also checked in the Windows Networking panels and didn't see flow control mentioned anywhere.

PS - I'd love to know why whomever designed this forum software thought that putting the user back at the first post in the thread, rather than allowing them to see their post went live, was a good idea.

Sunday, December 2, 2007 4:17 PM
  •  Jason Dunn wrote:

Richard A Miller wrote:

I'm using an Intel PRO/1000 GT gigabit network adaptor on a home-build box with a 3.2 Ghz Celeron CPU, 1 GB of RAM. Where would I find the "flow control" option in the NIC drive? I looked at the NIC in device manager, but didn't see any option for flow control. I also checked in the Windows Networking panels and didn't see flow control mentioned anywhere.

PS - I'd love to know why whomever designed this forum software thought that putting the user back at the first post in the thread, rather than allowing them to see their post went live, was a good idea.

I have no idea... but I can tell you I'm trying to get us some nicer forum software... but that takes time.

I'm still trying to repro this issue and have not been able to do so, even with a Gigabit network.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 7:17 PM
  • Thanks for your efforts Joel.  Just wanted you to know that I am still watching this thread with interest.

Do you think that there would be any benefit to opening a case with the paid support line?  I don't mind spending the money if I felt the problem would be resolved.  However, I do have a workaround in place now - I copied my music library to the Media Center local drive, so waiting is not as painful.

DE

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 8:31 PM
  • Paid support does open an issue with the team, but this is something I am trying to get done already and the team is already aware of.  The most important factor to resolving this is recreating it here in the Microsoft labs.

This is a very important issue to me and I want to get this resolved.

Friday, December 7, 2007 6:51 PM
  • I continue to see this problem, but there are two interesting points I've noticed:

1. There are no pausing issues with my Roku client. We listened to music coming off the WHS for hours, and it never hung on the audio once. There's just no way this could be a bandwidth issue if the Roku didn't have problems.
    2. When the audio pauses occur, they seem to lock up Windows Media Player 11. I can't interact with WMP11 at all when the pauses happen...which is making me think it's possibly more of a client issue than a WHS issue. On the other hand, this same client was able to listen to music via shared drives on my MCE computer without a problem, so there's some sort of interaction problem between WMP11 and WHS.

Has anyone seen/had music pausing problems with other music clients? (Yahoo, Real Player, etc.)

Monday, December 10, 2007 10:56 PM
  •  Joel Burt wrote:
    I'm still trying to repro this issue and have not been able to do so, even with a Gigabit network.

Is there anything I can do to help? Install some software and debug it on my end?
    Monday, December 10, 2007 10:57 PM
  •  Jason Dunn wrote:

I continue to see this problem, but there are two interesting points I've noticed:

1. There are no pausing issues with my Roku client. We listened to music coming off the WHS for hours, and it never hung on the audio once. There's just no way this could be a bandwidth issue if the Roku didn't have problems.
    2. When the audio pauses occur, they seem to lock up Windows Media Player 11. I can't interact with WMP11 at all when the pauses happen...which is making me think it's possibly more of a client issue than a WHS issue. On the other hand, this same client was able to listen to music via shared drives on my MCE computer without a problem, so there's some sort of interaction problem between WMP11 and WHS.

Has anyone seen/had music pausing problems with other music clients? (Yahoo, Real Player, etc.)

1.) That is because the Roku is using the Streaming feature of Windows Home Server and not trying to access the music through the SMB shares. 

2.)I have read others having this same issue.

Monday, December 10, 2007 11:00 PM
  •  Jason Dunn wrote:

Joel Burt wrote:

Is there anything I can do to help? Install some software and debug it on my end?

What would be best are detailed steps to create this issue on my end. They have to be steps that create the issue everytime so I can produce it here in the lab.  This allows us to track down the problem and resolve it. 

Monday, December 10, 2007 11:01 PM
  •  Joel Burt wrote:
    What would be best are detailed steps to create this issue on my end. They have to be steps that create the issue everytime so I can produce it here in the lab.  This allows us to track down the problem and resolve it. 

I'm definitely not trying to be a smart-*** here, but literally it's:

1) Install WHS

2) Put music on WHS

3) Point WMP11 to WHS music folder to monitor for music and build library

3) Try to play back music and it will pause

It happens on multiple computers in my household, and all are Vista-based and connected via Ethernet. I can find nothing "special" that I did to incur this problem. I have no third-party tools installed on my WHS, no add-ins, etc.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 3:38 AM
  •  Jason Dunn wrote:

Joel Burt wrote:

I'm definitely not trying to be a smart-*** here, but literally it's:

1) Install WHS

2) Put music on WHS

3) Point WMP11 to WHS music folder to monitor for music and build library

3) Try to play back music and it will pause

It happens on multiple computers in my household, and all are Vista-based and connected via Ethernet. I can find nothing "special" that I did to incur this problem. I have no third-party tools installed on my WHS, no add-ins, etc.

I've setup a Windows Home Server at home with Windows Media Player 11 on all my home computers. I have a very large music collection of MP3's with music under 1 or 2 sub folders.  (\\server\music\Joels Music\Artist name) I have tried monitoring the folders and dragging  & dropping music into the now playing list to test for pausing.  I've done this on various Windows Vista (Home, Ultimate, Enterprise) without experiencing the pausing issue.  I also have used various network connections (Wifi, 100 and 1000).  All streams without pausing.

What maybe different about my setup is that all computers are connected to a 10/100/1000 switch which is then connected to my router with 1 ethernet cable.  My switch pretty much handles all traffic while my router handles internet traffic, Wi-Fi traffic and DHCP settings. 

I have Media Streaming enabled and I am able to stream without problems.  I also have 2 external drives, 1 is USB and the other Firewire.  I have 3 internal drives connected via SATA.  My home server uses 1GB ethernet connection.  All cables are CAT5e.

I have 6 home computers being backed up and another 2 images from computers I no longer have. 

Other team members have tried simpler setups with lossless music.

However, a long time ago I ran into this problem and it was due to a playlist I was using.  It was made incorrectly.  I have not been able to reproduce this issue since.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 4:50 AM
  • I too get occasional pauses when streaming music from WHS to Vista. I have an XP MCE machine on my network as well but I never get a pause in music on XP MCE. When i get a pause on the Vista MC machine, it may last for several 10s of seconds then continue. This only happens occasionaly. Last time I noticed, was one 20 sec pause in 4 hours of listening.

My network is all wired (GB, with cat6 cable).

Ben

Friday, December 14, 2007 5:13 PM
  • Add me to the list also.  I consistently get pauses when playing both .mp3 and .wma from my WHS.  The music is stored on the Music share.  I get a 15-20sec pause mid way through songs. I'm seeing the pause on my Windows Vista Home Premium client.  I did not have any problems doing the same thing when I was filling the WHS role using Windows XP Professional.  In fact, the same machine was wirelessly serving three Linksys WMA11B media players at the same time without any delays.   The only thing that has changed in my setup was a simple swap from XP Pro to WHS.

Friday, December 14, 2007 8:29 PM
  • I wonder if this could be a network card issue... 

Those that are having problems, could you try another Network Interface Card (NIC)?

Saturday, December 15, 2007 12:07 AM
  • I'm using a Dell Inspiron E1705.  I get the delay with the built in Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter.  I also tried a USB wireless adapter - Netgear WG111T and still get the same delay.  Using a Netgear WGT624v3 wireless G Router.  As I mentioned earlier, this delay only started happening when I installed WHS.

Saturday, December 15, 2007 3:22 AM
  • Add me to the list of people having this identical problem streaming music from WHS to Vista running WMP. As with other posters, mine pauses occasionally at the start of a song (random) then after a while resumes playback. My system Vista system is the HP S3120N.

Saturday, December 15, 2007 6:16 PM
  • Add me to the list as well.

Video stutters every now and then, just like audio.  That said, this might be more related to WMP.  I need to do more testing, but it seems when I use Zoomplayer, things work just fine.

Saturday, December 15, 2007 6:27 PM
  • Joel,

Two questions about your inability to replicate this error. Did you make sure that all the music on your "now playing" list was coming from the WHS? Also how long did you test for? It can take a while sometimes to get the pause. I've had playback be fine for an hour or so only to have the mysterious random pause effect raise its ugly head. It's frustrating.

Saturday, December 15, 2007 6:35 PM
  •  E60 wrote:

Add me to the list as well.

Video stutters every now and then, just like audio.  That said, this might be more related to WMP.  I need to do more testing, but it seems when I use Zoomplayer, things work just fine.

You might be on to something.  I installed Winamp 5.5 last night and I have yet to experience the delays.  I think there might be a problem between WMP and WHS.  I had no such problem with WMP when I was using XP Pro in the WHS role.

Sunday, December 16, 2007 1:54 PM
  •  

Are you guys running with duplication enabled on the music folder? I would extend my drivepool, but in my case duplication ( or maybe just *having* a second drive ? ) caused the lockup issue with both the testing builds of WHS as well as the final.

Sunday, December 16, 2007 6:15 PM
  •  Malvar wrote:

Are you guys running with duplication enabled on the music folder? I would extend my drivepool, but in my case duplication ( or maybe just *having* a second drive ? ) caused the lockup issue with both the testing builds of WHS as well as the final.

I have duplication turned off on my Music Folder.

Sunday, December 16, 2007 6:47 PM
  • Ok, I think a may have found something that explains all our problems. It seems that Vista does not play nice with the network when WMP is running. Read about it here:

http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2007/08/27/1833290.aspx

How was this ever allowed to pass QC?

Sunday, December 16, 2007 8:15 PM
  • While an issue in its own right, stopping that service doesn't solve the problem here (at least for me).

Sunday, December 16, 2007 8:40 PM
  • Well, at least on my system, I can confirm that it is not WMP related.  I thought that changing to WinAmp 5.5 solved my problem, but last night I got the pausing with WinAmp.

I opened the task manager on my client laptop and the task manager on the WHS and watched the Performance and Networking graphs during playback.  During the audio pauses, the Network Utilization graph drops to zero during the pause.  The CPU load on both machines drops. I'm not seeing any CPU load or spike on the WHS that would account for the pause.  The only time CPU load spikes on either machine is at the start of a new song.  The load on the WHS did not exceed 5% during my observation and the server was not balancing at the time.

As an additional test, I put the same album on one of my other client laptops running XP Home in a shared folder and played the album without any pauses. 

Here is what I've deduced, at least on my system:

- it's not WMP related - since the pause happens with WinAmp also

- it's not network adapter related - I've tried multiple adapters, and it happens with all of them(different brands)

- it's not Vista related - since my Vista client smoothly plays music shared from another computer, but not on the WHS

- it's not Router related - since I can smoothly stream music from another computer on my network, and I can smoothly stream off the web.

- it does not appear to be a CPU load problem on the WHS

- it's a problem with WHS - I did not have the problem when XP Pro was on my server.

For me, this pause makes the server pretty much useless at this time for media streaming.  The problem happens frequently (at least 4-8 times during playback of a 10 song album).

Hope this helps to track the problem down.

Monday, December 17, 2007 2:13 PM
  • I made the original post in this thread, and I wanted to give an update of my experience with this.

As I said earlier, I have implemented a workaround, by copying my music library to the local hard drive on my Vista Media Center machine.

Meanwhile, I installed Vista Service Pack 1 RC1 on the VMC.  The upgrade went fine, but it had no effect on the pausing issue.

Entirely by accident, I stumbled onto another data point.  Using the VMC interface, I selected songs one-by-one for playback using "Play Song".  I listened to a number of songs this way, and it never paused.  It only seems to happen when multiple songs are queued for playback.

Hope this helps,

DE

Monday, December 17, 2007 7:50 PM
  • For what it's worth, I had a music stutter/pause problem back when I ran WHS Beta. In my case it was CPU related. Specifically it was demigrator.exe hogging too many cycles. I use Process Explorer to monitor processes, so I right-clicked demigrator to dropped the priority to Below Normal: 6. The stutter went away. I have not had this problem with WHS OEM.
    Monday, December 17, 2007 8:34 PM
  • What was the CPU load when you experienced the stutter/pause?  I don't see the CPU going above 5% when I experience the stutter.

Monday, December 17, 2007 8:38 PM
  • I don't recall what the overall CPU % usage was but when demigrator.exe hit about 70% cpu problems started. demigrator's cpu usage varies greatly from minute to minute but that 70% peak caused trouble for my music playback.
    Monday, December 17, 2007 9:07 PM
  • While not a solution, I've lessened the pain of these pauses by increasing the read ahead buffers in WinAmp to the max levels.  I've not tried it yet with WMP, but I suppose it would help there as well.

After doing so with WinAmp, I played for about 2 hours without a delay.

My intent is to have enough of the media buffered to keep the music playing while the network communication pauses.  In my case, 10-15 seconds. 

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 1:26 PM
  • Let me preface this by saying I'm in the software development biz, so I can empathize with all the requests you get from the use of this product.

That said... please say this issue is near the top.  Using WHS + a Vista Media Center is a crapshoot at best for me.

I used to run Server + Meedio on XP flawlessly.

Monday, December 24, 2007 8:05 AM
  • How did you setup your WBR-2310 for remote access??? I am still having trouble figuring out how to set mine up...

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 5:29 PM
  • Bump.

Friday, January 11, 2008 7:10 PM
  • Like so many of you, I have been experiencing this problem.

My media *used* to be stored on a Windows XP machine and I never once had this problem, so it seems very much unique to Vista WMP + WHS.

It's a weird one... I was hoping Vista SP1 would fix it but it did nothing.

Not that I expected any difference, but I happened to replace my router with a gigabit version, and of course the problem remains.

This is isn't an "earth" shattering deal to me but boy, it's kind of embarrassing when you're showing off all the new tech and it doesn't work right Wink

Hope this gets figured out soon!

Sunday, January 27, 2008 7:15 PM
  • So, I was suffering from this issue in a huge way with video files. When playing back backed-up DVDs or high bit rate MP4s I couldn't get more than 10 min into a file without a hang that would cripple Zoom Player, WMP 11 and SageTV (although Sage would recover if I hit stop fast enough).

Good news is, I seemed to fix it by updating the drivers for my Realtek 8110-series Gigabit NIC attached to my mainboard (a DFI Lanparty NFII B). Initially, the WHS install included drivers for the adapter, so I didn't bother updating with the most recent ones from the DFI site. However, after almost loosing the server to a WAF desaster (hanging half-way through a Buffy episode), I did some major troubleshooting. This eventually let me to updating the NIC drivers, which has now given me about 72 hours for smooth playback.

Of course, YMMV, but I wouldn't be surprised if WHS block-level file access makes it more twitchy about drivers than other Win 2x variants.

Bottom line- just becuase WHS includes drivers, don't expect them to be the *right* drivers- always check for updates.

I hope this helps someone.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 12:55 AM
  • Jumping in late on this thread -

I've been battling this same symptom since upgrading my XP Media Center Edition PC to Windows Vista Ultimate 64.  I am also running windows home server and accessing 9000 music files, primarily WMA lossless across a GigE LAN. 

My troubleshooting to date points to Vista as the issue.  I'm accessing the same library across the same switches from my XP Pro office machine with no pauses in playback.  I can play DVDs stored on MediaCenter with no pauses from both the Vista and XP Pro boxes. 

During the pauses, all playback stops - including slideshows which we run often while listening to music.  The system appears to lock.  Perfmon stats running on both Vista and Home Server don't show a processor, pagefile or network spike - in fact network traffic drops to nothing during the pause.

I forced the 64bit media player as the default as I was experiencing CPU spikes on the Vista box during media playback, but no improvement to the pause issue.

I will test more between playback on WMP11 vs Vista's Media Center.  I use the monitor folders function as i require access to the music files within Media Center. 

There is a lot of information in this thread, but i have yet to see a solid solution that can be applied - would it be possible to summarize the symptoms, expected causes, and related solutions? 

Thanks - appreciate the MS Team's support on this critical issue - certainly makes justifying my amazing home media solution difficult when simple audio playback doesn't work (wife reminding me at each occurance the spend was unjustified Wink

Sunday, February 10, 2008 5:38 PM
  • I'm going to hold to the fact that it's not a client side (e.g. Vista/XP/MCE/VMC) issue, as too many people are reporting some version of this problem across hetrogenious delivery platforms. Moving away from thw NIC drivers included in WHS was really night and day for me. My household throws several GB of media across the network every day (thanks to SageTV) and we haven't had so much as a hickup since I upgraded drivers.
    Sunday, February 10, 2008 6:25 PM
  •  

Thanks Buckaroo - i followed your advise and upgraded my NIC drivers on my WHS box, but the symptom persisted.  I tried to do the same on my Vista box, but was unable to do so - no 64bit driver for my NIC card.  I'll run some more tests next week to see if i can limit the symptom to a smaller grouping of variables.

i did notice that your symptom included video pausing - watching uncompressed DVDs across my network has not been an issue at all on my Vista machine - only listening to audio.  odd indeed..

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:15 AM
  • I'm not trying to throw salt in any wounds here, but I battled this problem and some file corruption problems with my WHS setup.

I've since thrown in the towel and upgraded my server OS to XP MCE

After recovering my data from my WHS shares (which was a serious pain, since I simply shut my WHS and installed XP over my WHS installation - my data was scattered across three physical drives and I had to pull it all back together - but I knew this would happen), I tried to replicate the WHS music playback problem on my clients, but was unable to do so.

This removes all doubt (for me) that the problem was originating with the WHS OS or problems it had with my particular hardware.  I had XP Pro on the same hardware before going to WHS and did not experience the playback issue.

BTW - other than the storage pool, I've replicated all of the functinality  of my WHS installation with 3rd party apps (and increased my options and level of control):

- Acronis True Image for backups (saving the backups to the server) (Moderately $$, but I had it already)

- RAC (Remote Administrator Control) for remote access to the server (each client is running RAC server so I can access all with RDC functionality internally and externally - regardless of OS level)  (Inexpensive)

- Easy File Sharing Web Server for remote file access (Inexpensive)

- Abyss Web Server X1 (Free)

- file duplication / redundancy - I havn't worked that one out yet.

It's not as clean as WHS, but I don't have any media streaming problems now and I'm not worried about my files getting ground up. 

Best of Luck.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 7:55 PM
  • I really do not know if this will help.

Just bought an HP Smart Media server, Ripped a few CDs using WMP11 (WMA lossless) and streamed music to my Media Center PC (vista based).

Got the same issue than everyone is talking about on this forum. The music pauses for 15 to 20 seconds abut 3 to 4 times an hour.

I am really amazed to see that this problem has been identibied back in October and not solved yet!

Is anyone at Microcroft taking care of this issue, and can we get a kind of status/schedule from the MS WHS team?

Thanks

Claude

Monday, March 10, 2008 12:18 PM
  •  

Well, lets try to narrow down the issue...

• What Operating System (OS) do you have that shows the issue?
    • What OS do you have that does not show this issue?
    • What router do you have?
    • What is the network layout between Windows Home Server and the computers with the music pausing issue?
    • What is the network layout between Windows Home Server and the computer without the music pausing issue?
    • Does your Xbox pause too?
    • Have you tried the Windows Vista SP1?
    • What antivirus do you have installed?
    • What add-ins do you have on your Windows Home Server?
    • What is the extension of the music that is pausing?
    • Do you notice other extensions not pausing?
    • What programs are you playing the music through? (Windows Media Player, Zune Software, WinAmp, etc...)
    • What is the network card on your Windows Home Server?
    • What is the network card on the computer with the pausing problem?
    • Is the Windows Home Server Self built or OEM (HP MediaSmart, Tranquil PC, etc...)
    Monday, March 10, 2008 7:44 PM
  •  Joel Burt wrote:

• What is the network layout between Windows Home Server and the computers with the music pausing issue?
    • What is the network layout between Windows Home Server and the computer without the music pausing issue?
    • What programs are you playing the music through? (Windows Media Player, Zune Software, WinAmp, etc...)
    • Is the Windows Home Server Self built or OEM (HP MediaSmart, Tranquil PC, etc...)

Hi Joel,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Here ar the answers to your questions when applicable.

1 OS is Vista Home Premium (French version)

2 Not applicable

3 Router is a NetGear DG 834 Firmware version V3.01.25

4 Network is 1Gb. WHS is attached to a 1 Gb Netgear switch GS 608 which is attached to the Router.

The Media center PC is attached to another 1 Gb Netgear Switch GS 608 which is attached to the Router.  

5 Not applicable

6 I do not have a Xbox

7 I have not tried Vista SP1. Waiting for SP1 to be available.

8 Antivirus is Windows Live One Care version 2.0

9 No add-ins. Just a brand new installation.

10 WMA (lossless)

11 I have not tried any other format.

12 Not applicable

13 WMP 11

14 No idea it's part of the HP SmartMedia Server

15 LAN is on the motherboard Asus P5KR

16 HP SmartMedia server. with 2 x500 Gb HDD

At this point of time I just have the WHS and the MediaCenter PC on the network.

Best regards.

Claude

Monday, March 10, 2008 8:29 PM
  •  Joel Burt wrote:

Hi Joel,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Here ar the answers to your questions when applicable.

2 Not applicable

4 Network is 1Gb. WHS is attached to a 1 Gb Netgear switch GS 608 which is attached to the Router.

The Media center PC is attached to another 1 Gb Netgear Switch GS 608 which is attached to the Router.  

5 Not applicable

6 I do not have a Xbox

10 WMA (lossless)

12 Not applicable

13 WMP 11

At this point of time I just have the WHS and the MediaCenter PC on the network.

Best regards.

Claude

Monday, March 10, 2008 8:29 PM
  •  cmerger wrote:

I am really amazed to see that this problem has been identibied back in October and not solved yet!

Is anyone at Microcroft taking care of this issue, and can we get a kind of status/schedule from the MS WHS team?

Joel Burt wrote:

blah, blah, blah...

As the original poster of this thread, I am surprised and disappointed that this issue has not been fixed.

I gave up waiting long ago, and implemented my own work-around - I copied my music collection to the local drive of my media center PC.

WHS continues to work well for me otherwise, and I am not a hater - just disappointed.

DE

Monday, March 10, 2008 8:40 PM
  • Hi DE,

I agree, I could use my Media Center PC to do the job and use WHS for my 4 PCs backup until they come up with a fix.

I do not buy the idea yet. Quite expensive solution and this is not what a Media server is supposed to do.

Since I bought an HP box, I am trying to get this bug pushed by HP (I am an ex HP guy).

We'll see if I can get this moving. I cross my fingers.

Claude

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 8:16 AM
  • I believe I've pinpointed the issue on my system - at least i've found a solution that resolves the pause symptom.  I've disabled 'show album art at begining and end of each song' and have yet to experience the pause.  I noticed the pause seemed to coincide with the loading of the new song's title and album art, turned that feature off, and all seems well.  DE and others I'd be interested to see if this resolves your symptoms as well.  Long shot perhaps...

Of course I now need to figure out why my album art would be causing said hang, but I'm at least able to listen to music without that annoying pause.  Heading right direction...

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 1:29 AM
  • Thanks MediaKing.

That sounds like a real possibility.  I will definitely try it when I get home, and post back with results.

DE

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 2:49 PM
  •  DEdwards556683 wrote:

cmerger wrote:

Joel Burt wrote:

blah, blah, blah...

As the original poster of this thread, I am surprised and disappointed that this issue has not been fixed.

I gave up waiting long ago, and implemented my own work-around - I copied my music collection to the local drive of my media center PC.

WHS continues to work well for me otherwise, and I am not a hater - just disappointed.

DE

Hi DE,

I'm sorry about how long it is taking to resolve this issue.  The problem on our side is trying to reproduce this issue.  In an effort to try and recreate it on our side, I need to gather information and look for common variables to pass onto the team.  Like I have stated earlier, this is a really important issue and I'm doing as much as I can on my side to resolve this.  I really appreciate everyones help and patience!

Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:04 AM
  •  cmerger wrote:
     Joel Burt wrote:

Hi Joel,

2 Not applicable

5 Not applicable

6 I do not have a Xbox

10 WMA (lossless)

12 Not applicable

13 WMP 11

Best regards.

Claude

Thank you for your information.  This is a very helpful first step.

Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:17 AM
  •  MediaKing wrote:

I believe I've pinpointed the issue on my system - at least i've found a solution that resolves the pause symptom.  I've disabled 'show album art at begining and end of each song' and have yet to experience the pause.  I noticed the pause seemed to coincide with the loading of the new song's title and album art, turned that feature off, and all seems well.  DE and others I'd be interested to see if this resolves your symptoms as well.  Long shot perhaps...

Of course I now need to figure out why my album art would be causing said hang, but I'm at least able to listen to music without that annoying pause.  Heading right direction...

This is great feedback!!  Can other people who have ran into this issue please try this?  Report there findings here!

Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:18 AM
  •  MediaKing wrote:

I believe I've pinpointed the issue on my system - at least i've found a solution that resolves the pause symptom.  I've disabled 'show album art at begining and end of each song' and have yet to experience the pause.  I noticed the pause seemed to coincide with the loading of the new song's title and album art, turned that feature off, and all seems well.  DE and others I'd be interested to see if this resolves your symptoms as well.  Long shot perhaps...

Hey, can you guys tell me EXACTLY where to find this setting?

I see something similar under Visualization Options in Media Center - Settings - Music, but that doesn't seem right.  In any case, I set that to "Never" and I'm still getting the pauses.

Remember that the pauses happen for me from Media Center AND Windows Media Player.

DE

Saturday, March 15, 2008 1:23 PM
  •  DEdwards556683 wrote:

Hey, can you guys tell me EXACTLY where to find this setting?

DE

Agreed. Where is this setting?

Saturday, March 15, 2008 6:43 PM
  • I made the change in 2 places within Vista Media Center 'Settings' - under 'Music/Visualization Options', and 'Picture' settings.  I had to change it in both for the pause to be eliminated.

I did not dig into related settings in WMP as I use Media Center for the majority of my listening.  I'd suggest making the change in both places and trying to reproduce in MC first..

Saturday, March 15, 2008 7:41 PM
  • I mae the change on WMP11 and it worked! I now have to make it on Media Center.

Thanks for the info

Monday, March 17, 2008 3:33 PM
  • Where do you change this in WMP?

I couldn't find it.

DE

Monday, March 17, 2008 3:42 PM
  •  cmerger wrote:
    I mae the change on WMP11 and it worked! I now have to make it on Media Center.

Thanks for the info

Where did you find this setting in WMP11? I've been though every option I can find, twice, and I can't see any mention of this feature.

Monday, March 17, 2008 3:42 PM
  • Ok guys, it's going to be a bit difficult since I have a french system. Anyway let me try to translate my french WMP menus.

The first tab (on the left hand side) on the menu bar should be something like "Current Reading".

You click on the little arrow under that tab and the third item on the drop down list should be "Vizualization".

You click on it and then you tick the first item "No visualization"

And that's it.

Since I have done that I have not seen the problem anymore on WMP11.

Monday, March 17, 2008 3:53 PM
  •  cmerger wrote:
    You click on the little arrow under that tab and the third item on the drop down list should be "Vizualization". You click on it and then you tick the first item "No visualization"

Ah yes, that feature! I knew that was there, but I somehow thought the way it was described before, it was an option somewhere in the settings.

I'll have to do some testing, but the pausing I heard was mid-song, not just at the beginning of the song, so I don't think this will help with my problem. I've since stopped using the WHS to stream music to my PCs - it was just too frustrating.
    Monday, March 17, 2008 4:21 PM
  • Same for me, the problem was mid-song, never at the beginning and up to 3 to 4 times an hour. I did not epxperience the problem during the whole week-end after doing that change. Good luck. Hope it will work for you and that someone at Microsoft wil investigate more.

Monday, March 17, 2008 4:32 PM
  • Made the change in both WMP and Media Center.

Still getting the pauses.

DE

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 2:29 PM
  • Sorry to report that my pauses are back - rather they must never have left.  I really pushed the system this weekend and they are definately there.  I suspect they are more frequent with larger playlists, using shuffle, and a few other variables that I have yet to nail down.  Back to drawing board.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 2:49 AM
  • I have had similar issues with Music and Movies, they pause constantly.

I have a extra backup on a networked hardrive of both music and movies and there is no pause or freeze that happens but everytime I listen to my music or watch Movies through my WHS is pauses or freezes.  PLEASE HELP!!!

JJ

Friday, March 21, 2008 5:13 AM
  •  Buckaroo wrote:
    So, I was suffering from this issue in a huge way with video files. When playing back backed-up DVDs or high bit rate MP4s I couldn't get more than 10 min into a file without a hang that would cripple Zoom Player, WMP 11 and SageTV (although Sage would recover if I hit stop fast enough).

Good news is, I seemed to fix it by updating the drivers for my Realtek 8110-series Gigabit NIC attached to my mainboard (a DFI Lanparty NFII B). Initially, the WHS install included drivers for the adapter, so I didn't bother updating with the most recent ones from the DFI site. However, after almost loosing the server to a WAF desaster (hanging half-way through a Buffy episode), I did some major troubleshooting. This eventually let me to updating the NIC drivers, which has now given me about 72 hours for smooth playback.

Of course, YMMV, but I wouldn't be surprised if WHS block-level file access makes it more twitchy about drivers than other Win 2x variants.

Bottom line- just becuase WHS includes drivers, don't expect them to be the *right* drivers- always check for updates.

I hope this helps someone.

This absolutly helped me. My problem was hanging durring playback in MCE 2005. As background I had an XP box as a "server" for the last year of so. No problems, would steam TV quality avi's (500mb/hr) and DVD rips, and all of this is with a 802.11g connection to the MCE machine.

Last week I switched the server to WHS and the problems started. I would get about 15-16 minutes into something and it would just pause. If I was quick on the stop button I could resume a few seconds after where it stoped but it was like there was a dead spot in the file. But it was some how about 15 min in on every file I tried.

So on the suggestion above I upgraded the drivers for my Realtek RTL8169/8100 gigabit ethernet card and the problem is gone. It had been using the default ones from MS with out any problem just very slowly.

In retrospect I should have noticed that something was wrong when all my transfers to and from the server were running about 3-5MB/s, after the driver chage that's up to 35MB/s.

Sunday, March 30, 2008 3:34 PM
  • Here is a rundown of my situation.  Hope it clears some things up.  My songs will pause for about 10 seconds after about 3 seconds of playing.  Occurs maybe 3-4 times per hour.  All relevent software identical (i.e. firewall, antivirus).  All computers reference the same music library.

Desktop #1
    Dell - Pentium 4 2.6 Ghz, 1 GB RAM
    WMP pauses: NO
    Media Center pauses: NO

Destop #2:
    Dell - Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz, 4 GB RAM
    WMP pauses: YES
    Media Center pauses: YES

Laptop #1
    Compaq - Celeron 1.4 Ghz, 2 GB RAM
    WMP pauses: NO
    Media Center pauses: NO

Laptop #2
    Dell - Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz (Penryn), 3 GB RAM
    WMP Pauses: YES
    Media Center pauses: YES

Home Server
    HP MediaSmart 1 TB (currently upgraded to 1.5 TB)
    Sunday, April 6, 2008 12:21 AM
  • Is the WHS team looking at this issue at all?

This has got to be the most frustrating bug I've ever come across.

Monday, April 14, 2008 7:15 PM
  •  E60 wrote:

Is the WHS team looking at this issue at all?

This has got to be the most frustrating bug I've ever come across.

Super.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 7:20 PM
  •  

I get pauses in playback using WMP11 in Vista x64 as well.

• What Operating System (OS) do you have that shows the issue? Vista X64
    • What OS do you have that does not show this issue? N/A
    • What router do you have? Belkin F5D8230-4
    • What is the network layout between Windows Home Server and the computers with the music pausing issue Directly connected via a Netgear GS105
    • What is the network layout between Windows Home Server and the computer without the music pausing issue?Directly connected via a Netgear GS105
    • Does your Xbox pause too? N/A
    • Have you tried the Windows Vista SP1? Yes
    • What antivirus do you have installed? One Care
    • What add-ins do you have on your Windows Home Server? None
    • What is the extension of the music that is pausing? *.mp3
    • Do you notice other extensions not pausing? N/A only use MP3
    • What programs are you playing the music through? Windows Media Player 11
    • What is the network card on your Windows Home Server? Nvidia nForce Networking Controller
    • What is the network card on the computer with the pausing problem? Intel Pro/1000 PT Desktop Adapter
    • Is the Windows Home Server Self built or OEM (HP MediaSmart, Tranquil PC, etc...) Self Built

Joel Burt wrote:
    Just as an FYI, I am forwarding this onto the team and I am making sure this gets tested.  All this information will be used to investigate the issue and others may follow up with you.

So seeing this has been an issue since Oct 07 what is the solution?

Thursday, April 17, 2008 10:13 PM
  • Thoughts?

Monday, April 21, 2008 3:09 PM
  •  

So this is another "known feature" of WHS then is it, will it be fixed in Power Pack 1 (also known as the Silver Bullet) ?

Thursday, April 24, 2008 9:11 AM
  • I noticed one of the posters above didn't have the issue on XP, but did on Vista.  Have you tried turning Audio Enhancements off in the audio contol options?  MS turns it on by default which buffers the audio through DX audio rather than the audio chip, which tends to cause problems for a lot of vista systems.  I thought they would have fixed this by SP1, but apparently not.

Also, is this option available to be turned off in WHS?  I haven't gotten one yet but will be soon, though since I've ran into this issue in Vista lots that the faulty present MS sets would have transfered over to the WHS OS.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 9:32 PM
  • Hi Nedzalife,

I don't have the "Audio Enhancements" feature:-

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/36db5c82-9247-4346-909a-f87743b653ae1033.mspx

my WHS doesn't have a soundcard.

Cheers

HEADRAT

Friday, April 25, 2008 9:23 AM
  • Initial testing looks like it may be working, but I will do further testing in the morning.

Thanks.
    Saturday, April 26, 2008 1:13 AM
  • After some more testing, the Audio Enhancement feature didn't do anything to help.
    Saturday, April 26, 2008 8:06 AM
  • I am also having the problem where the music plays 1 second or two then pauses locking up windows media player for 10 to 30 seconds and finally continues to finish the song.  As much as I have tried I can't find a rhyme or reason to the problem.

Vista Business with sp1 (HP Laptop with Core2 T7200, 2gb ram, 4.5 Windows Experience Index)

Vista Home Premium (Dell desktop with Core2 E4500, 2gb ram, 3.3 Windows Experience Index). I don't know for sure that this computer doesn't experience the problem. I have had no complaints from the primary user but we use media player differently so that could also be part of it.

Router is a Linksys WRT54G, the "core" switch is a Netgear GS108.

Laptop -> Router (wireless) -> Netgear -> Homeserver OR
      Laptop -> Netgear -> Homeserver

Desktop -> Netgear -> Homeserver

I have an xbox classic with XBMC and when playing large music playlist it will eventually error out because of "too many failures".

xbox 360 doesn't seem to have any problems playing music.

Yes

NOD32

DupeCleaner, Remote Notification, Advanced Admin Console

mp3

no

Windows Media Player

SiS191 1000/100/10 Ethernet

Intel Pro/1000 PL, Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG

OEM: HP MediaSmart EX475 with 4 500gb hard drives and 2gb memory upgrade

Other notes: 
    • Previously the music was stored on a different computer where I didn't have any trouble streaming it over wireless.  That network setup was like laptop -> linksys (wireless) -> netgear -> USR switch -> music computer.  It was the same music I am playing now just on a different pc

• Sometimes I can recreate the problem by loading a large playlist and hitting next a whole bunch of times.  Sometimes this works without a problem.

• When browsing files on the homeserver from the laptop right clicking on a file takes forever to bring the menu up.  On the desktop it is pretty much instant like one would expect.

• Watching Perfmon while the problem is occurring shows nothing out of the ordinary on the homeserver. 

• I have 4 500 gb drives in my homeserver.  If the disk defragmenter window is correct disk #1 is 94% free, disk #2 is 4%, disk #3 is 4%, and disk #4 is 61%.  So the data isn't very well distributed between disks

• My music share is read-only because of the data corruption bug (which I learned about the hard way).  It is also not duplicated.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 8:04 PM
  • Any news on fixing this?

Thursday, May 8, 2008 9:42 PM
  •  Greg Beck wrote:
    I am also having the problem where the music plays 1 second or two then pauses locking up windows media player for 10 to 30 seconds and finally continues to finish the song.  As much as I have tried I can't find a rhyme or reason to the problem.

I wish there was more information we could give these guys. We're all experiencing this situation yet it seems like MS has yet to replicate the scenario in their labs.

Does anyone have any plugins installed? I know I use the Last.fm scrobbler but I am doubting that's a common link.

Friday, May 9, 2008 2:21 AM
  • I have a plain-jane WHS implementation... but one thing I just thought of... I have ffdshow, halisplitter and a few other codecs installed on my machine.  Perhaps these are interfering with playback somehow?

(Grasping at straws here)

Friday, May 9, 2008 3:56 PM
  • Itunes doesn't do it, for me it's just WMP11, obviously nobody is really bothered and can be put down as "another" feature.

Joel Burt wrote:
    Just as an FYI, I am forwarding this onto the team and I am making sure this gets tested.  All this information will be used to investigate the issue and others may follow up with you.

I guess nothing has been forthcoming from "The Team"!

Friday, May 16, 2008 4:12 PM
  • Hello everyone!  My name is CJ Saretto, I'm a Lead Program Manager on the WHS team.

First off, I want everyone to know that we are very aware of this issue.  We really appreciate you patience with us.  I'm writing to let you know what we know.

There are two seperate ways to play back media from your server:

1. Streaming Media from the server via Windows Media Connect.  You can do this using a Roku Soundbridge, Xbox 360, or other network audio device.  You can also do this from WMP 11 on Windows Vista.
    2. Playing back media from shared folders.  If you're pointing your media player software on a home computer to files on \\server\..., then you are using shared folders. 

As already mentioned in this thread, if you built your own WHS box, make sure you have the latest driver for your server's network card!  This can be the culprit no matter how you are playing back media!

If you are using Windows Media Connect, we know of two additional issues:

1. First is network topology!  You can read more about the problem here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929707Even though the KB is written for Widnows Vista , it applies to WHS as well.  Many of our users never had  gigabit ethernet on their "media server machine" before purchasing WHS hardware.  If your server has 1000MB connectivity to a router or switch, and your client doesn't (XBOX 360 is 100MB, all wireless is obviously slower), then this problem will arise.  It generaly is only noticed when playing back video, though it can affect adio as well.
    2. Sometimes Windows Media Connect will get stuck in an infinite loop.  You can observe this by Remote Desktoping to your WHS box and opening Task Manager.  Check out the CPU utilization of wmccds.exe.  If it is stuck at 99%, your should restart your server.  There is no other workaround at this time.  PowerPack 1 fixes a number of issues that can cause this problem including a very common scenario when streaming to WMP 11 on Windows Vista.  We ask that you install the PowerPack 1 Public Beta when it is released to see if it resolves the issue for you.  If it does not, please file feedback on Microsoft Connect letting us know.

Next up is shared folders.  As you are no doubt aware, there are a number of issues with WHS Drive Extender technology that are fixed in the upcomming PowerPack 1 release.  One of these issues is that Drive Extender has a habit of denying access to files.  There can also be performance variations (seemingly eratic) when reading files from shared folders.  Your music player is just like Microsoft Word when using shared folders.  There is no "streaming" that occurs.  Rather, your program is just reading a file from a network location.  Different players do this differently.  Some just read the bytes as they need them.  Some cache large parts of the file localy (even the whole thing) and play back from that cache.  These different behaviors can cause seemingly different symptoms:  one player might pause in the middle of a file while another might only pause between files while still another may give up on an entire playlist because it was denyed access to a single file.

So, if you're having problems, check your network drivers and read the link above.  If that doesn't work, please install WHS PowerPack 1 Public Beta when it becomes available!  If that doesn't still doesn't fix your problems, please let us know via Microsoft Connect.  We want to get this problem solved for you!

Thanks!

-CJ

PS - It has been mentioned in this thread that we have not been able to reproduce this problem.  We have reproduced all of the Windows Media Connect issues I mentioned.  What we have been unable to reproduce are the issues you all have described playing back media from shared folders.  But knowing what we've fixed in Drive Extender, we don't doubt that such issues could been caused by it under certain situations.

Friday, May 16, 2008 8:56 PM
  • CJ, thanks for the time and effort put into the reply.

I haven't seen any mention of this until now, so I'll ask the inevitable: Any idea when the PowerPack public beta will be released?
    Tuesday, May 20, 2008 3:23 PM
  •  

I'm holding out for PP1 then!
    Tuesday, May 20, 2008 3:31 PM
  • I'm not sure exactly, but watch the team blog over the comming weeks for the latest information.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 3:30 PM
  • I should point out something that I've found quite interesting: with all other factors being exactly the same, I've found that the Zune desktop software (free download from www.zune.net) has ZERO problems playing music off the shared music folder on my server. I haven't changed computers, networkcards, switches, or anything else. All other parametres are the same other than switching from WMP11 to Zune 2.5. The new Zune 2.5 software is about 5x better than WMP11 anyway, so it's a welcome improvement on all fronts.

I'd encourage everyone having problems to give it a try - it's the media library player that WMP11 wishes it could be. ;-)
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 3:37 PM
  • Installed Vista SP1 on media center msachine - no help.

DE
    Sunday, May 25, 2008 2:01 PM
  • I have a Gateway FMC-901 running MCE 2005 2 gig of memory.  The machine also experiences the pause problem but only during music playback.  I noticed that the volume bar in MCE pops up in the upper right hand corner of the screen when the music stops.  When it starts again is when the volume bar goes away.  I also seam to notice that it is related to network traffic.  I’ll try the fix above and see if it works.

Thanks,

Friday, May 30, 2008 1:28 AM
  • I just upgraded to the WHS Power Pack 1 Beta and so far I have not had this problem.  I am on my laptop (which it occurred the most) and it has not yet happened.

I don't have much time right now to do more testing, but I will tomorrow and write up some more.

For those interested, I am using WMP 11 and have my music folder mapped as a network drive, i.e. drive M: is \\server\music
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 8:29 PM
  • I hope I'm not giving us the kiss of death, but I too have yet to see this issue!

Huzzah for the power pack.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 12:14 AM
  • This is awesome news guys!  Thanks for the validation.  Keep the info comming.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 2:45 AM
  •  

Well installed PP1 this morning, been playing music for about 4 hours and no pauses, OK hardly conclusive but it would have usaully paused by now

So looking good so far!

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 1:58 PM
  • The question is, does it work for you DEdwards?

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:35 PM
  • So now that it's fixed... can you give us the scoop on why it was happening?

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:27 PM
  •  

If you go back and read my long post earlier in the thread, I explain how different apps read music files differently over SMB.  We had numerous performance problems with SMB file access due to issues with Drive Extender that are fixed in PP1.
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 7:25 PM
  • Just a quick update: I've been trying to get it to pause like it used to and have not been successful.  So to me, the issue is solved.

But here are some observations from using PP1 for 3 days now.  I have had no stability problems at all.  My neighborhood had a power outage yesterday and it came right back up, no problems.

I do have one issue that is a little off topic and I will submit a bug report later.  When I turn on my desktop, the WHS Connector software gives me a warning saying my anti-virus software is out of date, even though it was updated today.  I find it weird because my laptop has the exact same setup, same software, same computer manufacturer, but I do not get that notification.  And when I log in through the Connector and click on Network Status, there are no notifications and it says my status is green.  When the message pops up on my desktop, it turns the icon red.
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 7:53 PM
  • I am using Dell Inspirion 1525 (2.4GHz, 4GB RAM) and have "Vista Ultimate". I am facing simlar issue while playing mp3 songs. Every song pauses before 1 or 2 minutes of its completion for 1 -2 seconds though you use WMP11 or WMC. 

How can this be fixed?

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 12:45 PM