Headless Server is it Practical RRS feed

• Question

• At present I have a monitor, keyboard and mouse attached to my WHS for setting up. How do I go about setting the server so that I can just reboot it without having to attach these three.  At the moment I have to press cntl alt del and sign in with a password,  if I get rid of these any semblance of security is removed.
    I have tried remoting in from a client and you can do this when the WHS reaches the cntl alt del screen but what you get is access to the server itself and not the cntl alt del page. I am not that server savvy so hearing what others are doing would help a lot, I hope. I don't really want to carry my monitor down to the shed each time I reboot.
    Thanks
    Frank
    Monday, September 17, 2007 11:05 AM

Answers

• You can shut down or re-boot from the console on your client PC, go to the settings in the top right corner of the console window, and the shut down button is on the lower left corner of the pop-up window.

Monday, September 17, 2007 11:41 AM
  • Frank, unless you're trying to use the server to run some desktop application that requires a user to be logged in, there's no need to log in as administrator every time you reboot. WHS will continue to serve files and run backups whether the administrator is logged in or not.

So go ahead and disconnect the keyboard, monitor, and mouse.
    Monday, September 17, 2007 11:55 AM

All replies

• You can shut down or re-boot from the console on your client PC, go to the settings in the top right corner of the console window, and the shut down button is on the lower left corner of the pop-up window.

Monday, September 17, 2007 11:41 AM
  • Frank, unless you're trying to use the server to run some desktop application that requires a user to be logged in, there's no need to log in as administrator every time you reboot. WHS will continue to serve files and run backups whether the administrator is logged in or not.

So go ahead and disconnect the keyboard, monitor, and mouse.
    Monday, September 17, 2007 11:55 AM
  • I never new that! Mind you the only server I have ever set up was my old l****x web server.
    Thanks for the info, I'll get there in the end.
    Frank
    Monday, September 17, 2007 1:12 PM