Homeserver.com Domain Question RRS feed

• Question

• There are several similar posts, but none touch on my specific issue.

I have two seperate "x.homeserver.com" domains that both point to my IP address. I know the LiveID associated with one of them, but cannot remember the LiveID that I used to set up the other (this one is the original one). I would like to regain control of the second domain. This domain was originally set up on my homeserver when I first purchased it. Any thoughts on how to do this?

I don't even think it should be possible to have two domains pointed to my IP...

Monday, January 9, 2012 12:03 AM

All replies

• If you can't get into your Live account there is no way of recovering your domain name unless Microsoft ever releases it again - do not hold your breath!

Two domains pointed to a single IP will cause problems as your router will not know where to forward the traffic - the easiest solution (which is likely to cost money) is to buy a second IP address from your ISP.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, January 9, 2012 12:09 AM
  • You can have any number of domains pointed at a single IP address. But see this FAQ regarding Live IDs and your vanity URL; if you haven't used the Live ID for a long time, it may not exist, which will make that vanity URL irretrievable.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 9, 2012 12:11 AM
  • Phil,

I have had two different homeserver.com domains pointed to the same WAN ip address for well over two years.  There is only one WHS set up on this ip address at this time.  I have manually set port forwarding in my router and it doesn't matter which XXXXX.homeserver domain is used, they both resolve to my WHS production box.  One can also use port forwarding to have more than one WHS on the same WAN ip address.  Or one can use virtual server in D-Link (and other) routers to forward a range of ports for both web connectivity and RDP connectivity for multiple devices.  It is not quite as hard as it seems.  No need to spend money on multiple ip addresses.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

If you can't get into your Live account there is no way of recovering your domain name unless Microsoft ever releases it again - do not hold your breath!

Two domains pointed to a single IP will cause problems as your router will not know where to forward the traffic - the easiest solution (which is likely to cost money) is to buy a second IP address from your ISP.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

BullDawg
    Monday, January 9, 2012 2:41 AM
  • Phil,

I have had two different homeserver.com domains pointed to the same WAN ip address for well over two years.  There is only one WHS set up on this ip address at this time.  I have manually set port forwarding in my router and it doesn't matter which XXXXX.homeserver domain is used, they both resolve to my WHS production box. 

One can also use port forwarding to have more than one WHS on the same WAN ip address.  Or one can use virtual server in D-Link (and other) routers to forward a range of ports for both web connectivity and RDP connectivity for multiple devices.  It is not quite as hard as it seems.  No need to spend money on multiple ip addresses.

BullDawg

The first part in bold above is easy. If you want to access two home servers on the same internal LAN remotely, on the same WAN IP address, can you give me a little more detail on how to do that? My router will only allow a particular port (Port 443 in my case) to be forwarded to a single internal LAN IP address.

Monday, January 9, 2012 3:00 AM
  • First, turn off UPnP for your router.  This means you will have to manually forward ports for other services that use UPnP on your router.

For the first WHS use 80 and 443 and forward those ports to the same ports for the LAN address of the first WHS.  In my router, internet ports are shown as public and LAN ports are shown as private.

For the second WHS use 8080 and 5443 and forward those ports to ports 80 and 443 respectively for the LAN address of the second WHS.

In theory, any unused port above 1024 (and below 65537) will do for the second WHS, just be careful not to use a port that is used by another application, service, or game on your LAN.

To access the first WHS from the internet, simply access as normal: xxxxx.homeserver.com using either https or http.
    To access the second WHS from the internet use yyyyy.homeserver.com:8080 with http or xxxx.homeserver.com:4443 with https.

Check out the help screens for port forwarding/virtual server for your router.

Also, each client computer can only be associated with one server, and therefore backed up by only one at a time.  When you run the Connector software, it should ask which WHS you want to connect to.

I think I got this correct.  If not, I'm sure someone will correct me. Also, the link below, while not specifically for WHS, explains the way this should work for multiple WHS's behind a router.

http://www.nakahara-informatics.com/iget/tutorials/remote_access/port_forwarding/

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Phil,

I have had two different homeserver.com domains pointed to the same WAN ip address for well over two years. There is only one WHS set up on this ip address at this time. I have manually set port forwarding in my router and it doesn't matter which XXXXX.homeserver domain is used, they both resolve to my WHS production box.

One can also use port forwarding to have more than one WHS on the same WAN ip address. Or one can use virtual server in D-Link (and other) routers to forward a range of ports for both web connectivity and RDP connectivity for multiple devices. It is not quite as hard as it seems. No need to spend money on multiple ip addresses.

--

BullDawg

The first part in bold above is easy. If you want to access two home servers on the same internal LAN remotely, on the same WAN IP address, can you give me a little more detail on how to do that? My router will only allow a particular port (Port 443 in my case) to be forwarded to a single internal LAN IP address.

BullDawg
    Monday, January 9, 2012 6:10 AM
  • You can have any number of domains pointed at a single IP address. But see this FAQ regarding Live IDs and your vanity URL; if you haven't used the Live ID for a long time, it may not exist, which will make that vanity URL irretrievable.

And I suppose there is no one to contact about this? Since it has been resolving to my IP for about 2 years, it would be nice if I could get the LiveID or any information about it.

I am not using Vail, I'm running the prior version of Home Server. Is there a way to see where the server key is? Do you know where in the registry I would locate the address in my version?

For the other responses here: They both resolve to my IP address, and both load correctly. It doesn't matter how many names you have, it just matters that they point to your IP. I also have no clue why you would suggest paying for a second IP, which would not give me control over the domain I seem to have lost control over, when I can just request my ISP to give me a new IP for free.

Monday, January 9, 2012 2:42 PM
  • No matter what version of Windows Home Server you use, if you haven't touched the Live ID in over a year it's gone. And if the Live ID is gone, there is no way to retrieve the associated vanity URL. Also, simply renewing the vanity URL (as your server would do automatically if your external IP address were to change) won't "use" the Live ID; it will use a token which is created at the time the vanity URL is created. Only logging in directly to some service that uses Live authentication "uses" the Live ID.

As for retrieving the email address used on a V1 server, as that FAQ says, you can't. It's not stored anywhere.

Monday, January 9, 2012 6:51 PM