Excel Expert Exam 2003 ISSUES RRS feed

• Question

• MOS EE 2003 exam

1) Question: will you get answers wrong if you do not click say, Format menu when asked to change the vertical alignment of a cell, because first you made the stupid error of clicking on the insert menu?  In other words, maybe you didn't know what menu to click first, and you search each menu until you find the menu item you need (i.e. menu-Tools - item Scenarios)...so then does MOS mark you wrong because you didn't click the menu and sub menu item in the precise chronological timely order?

2) 2nd issue:  I have heard that Visual Basic is on the excel expert exam and some have said that you only need to know how to record macros.  Can anyone else, support this claim?  It is my understanding that soem visual basic may be included where you have to edit code on your own, which means understanding code (on a basic level). Other surprises would maybe include complex custom number formatting, etc...but mostly visual basic seems to be a big worry.

please advise...

Brian J. Bilinski
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 3:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Brian,

I know you are hoping for someone else to answer this as well but in lack of answers here are mine (in addition to the earlier ones)

1. The number of mouse clicks is irrelevant so if you want to search every menu it's up to you. It's the final task that counts. The time will continue during your search on the various menuoptions that's your only enemy

2. You really won't get any coding questions believe me. As i stated earlier the only option that might be a part of the exam is the use of simple macro editting.

I hope someone else will also mention this as an answer to your question so you it will take away your worries about the visual basic part. I no one does then take it as it is and don't worry about it to much.

Maurice

Maurice
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Thursday, December 9, 2010 8:21 PM
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 10:51 PM
  • Hey Brian,

On your first question they are not recording which tabs you look through just the end result. Thus, you could look through them all to find the correct function but this would use up valuable time.

On your second point the VB questions will be simple macro use, recording and playing etc. After all, it is an excel test not a coding test.

I would definitely get your formatting down (conditional & number) as they are easy questions to ask.

Best

Dave

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 11:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Brian,

I know you are hoping for someone else to answer this as well but in lack of answers here are mine (in addition to the earlier ones)

1. The number of mouse clicks is irrelevant so if you want to search every menu it's up to you. It's the final task that counts. The time will continue during your search on the various menuoptions that's your only enemy

2. You really won't get any coding questions believe me. As i stated earlier the only option that might be a part of the exam is the use of simple macro editting.

I hope someone else will also mention this as an answer to your question so you it will take away your worries about the visual basic part. I no one does then take it as it is and don't worry about it to much.

Maurice

Maurice
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 10:51 PM
  • Maurice--

Thanks for all your replies -

Did you notice they threw a lot of surprises in when it came to conditional formatting (complex syntaxing), number formating (custom) with complex syntaxing using @ _), etc..., At any rate, data validation and the surprise syntax is what I'm mostly worried about, all other is no problem, it is just knowing all the syntax for various plays on these questions I listed.  Also, did you encounter dealing with shared workspace type questions?

A brief list of what I was surprised by was= that one might need to know was:

Brian J. Bilinski
    Monday, November 29, 2010 5:03 PM
  • Hey Brian,

On your first question they are not recording which tabs you look through just the end result. Thus, you could look through them all to find the correct function but this would use up valuable time.

On your second point the VB questions will be simple macro use, recording and playing etc. After all, it is an excel test not a coding test.

I would definitely get your formatting down (conditional & number) as they are easy questions to ask.

Best

Dave

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 11:32 AM