NOTIFICATION: Failure - Security Options RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Steve,

I posted a similar, following problem last night on a Vista forum (??), but I cannot find the forum nor the question.  Have the flu, so possibly it has gone to the brain. 

Three days ago, Live One Care (my trial version, soon to expire) just finished 'tune-up.'  Had a request from Live O Care

to do a survey and reminder of two weeks left to subscribe.  Completed the survey, clicked 'submit,' and the computer hung..100%. 

First, I did System Restore.  No luck.  Had the notification window, titled Failure - Security Options

which said, "Log on process has failed to create the securtiy options dialog.'

I uninstalled LOCare, using the 'plan to re-install' option.  Same notification and freeze.

Re-booting both naturally and in Safe mode is no problem, but as soon as one window is opened the computer freezes and one must hold the button down for a very long time to get it to turn off.

In panic mode, I re-installed Win Vista Home Prem with my DVD, using the 'repair' instructions on the Vista Forum tutorial.  This changed NOTHING.  Still same message.

Presently, still in panic mode, with no thought as to what to do...brain freeze.

Thank you in advance for ANY and all help,

Sincerely,  Jo Ellen

Thursday, February 14, 2008 8:25 PM

Answers

• Jo Ellen, you're doing great.

I'd go ahead and backup to the external disk (or could you burn the data to DVD?) and plan for a complete reinstall. I'm concerned about your experience with HP, though. They should have provided a new recovery CD to match what was on your computer, but by buying a full install, you didn't install all of their pre-installed "crapware" that comes with a new PC.

I'm also concerned about 7 hours for recovery. That sounds to me like a potentially failing hard disk. It may be worth you while to contact HP once again and try to convince them to send you a new drive. A recovery from the HP Vista DVD should typically take about an hour, sometimes much less.

I just did a search on your original error and this thread, http://forums.software.com/softhelp/vista/failure-security-options-logon-process-failed-create-dial-ftopict124945.html, has a rather interesting discussion where it was the hard drive cable causing the problem. Since it is a laptop, this would not apply, however, it could point to a problem with the drive or the motherboard. The only way to be sure would be to try another drive. Perhaps simply opening the door where the drive is and reseating it to the connector will resolve it.

That thread also suggested that the error can occur at startup with some conflicting security applications. Had you installed any other antispyware programs before this happened?

-steve

Saturday, February 16, 2008 2:50 AM

All replies

• Sorry you've got the flu. :-(

And sorry about the problem you've run into.

When you originally locked up, and chose to do a System Restore, had you already encountered the Failure error?

Is OneCare gone from the PC?

Can you undo the System Restore (I don't know if this is possible after doing a Repair from the Vista DVD)?

-steve

(I will be off line for at least the next 4 hours)

Thursday, February 14, 2008 8:33 PM
  • Dear Steve,

Thank you, thank you for responding. 

As best I recall, things happened in following order:

Lock-up after One Care survey.

Re-booted and somehow (I cannot remember HOW), I ended up reading event logs, with numerous warnings, red and yellow. 

Then, lock-up again, w/ "Security Failure" notification

Re-booted and was able to uninstall OneCare, using the "plan to re-install" type option. 

Lock-up and notification again.

Performed System Restore.  Same thing.

Lastly, did the "Repair Install." 

Several times, and now, I re-booted.  Sys Restore only has yesterday and day before points.

OneCare is no longer on the machine.

I was able to go online, open several windows (as you see) before it locked up. 

It is currently locked w/hotmail opened and a little notice that says, "working on your request."

If I attempt to open Task Mgr., it will then go to gray-black screen and give the notification and stay that way.

Hope this makes sense.  I feel that I have made it all the worse and am horrified.

Non-techie Jo Ellen

Friday, February 15, 2008 2:45 AM
  • No need to be horrified, Jo Ellen.

Have you backed up any of your data files? Did you use OneCare backup? Are there any important files on the PC?

Sometimes it is best to start fresh. Use the HP recovery process to start over in factory condition. Don't do this if you have important files that are not backed up, though.

I don't know what happened or why, but it sounds like a problem with Internet Explorer more than anything else at this point.

-steve

Friday, February 15, 2008 3:14 AM
  • Steve, unless I could get the comp to work long enough to back up onto external HD, then, yes, I would lose some data.

Really, I am in a quandry. 

When I first got this machine, only 70% of HD was available.  HP told me I must use the recovery disk on the brand new laptop.  After 7 hrs., I called to say it could not recover.  They had me pay for a new disk.  The second one was Home Basic, not Home Premium, as came with it.  I called.  They suggested I just do with that, or buy third disk.  I went out and purchased a full edition of Win Vista Home Premium, installed it in Nov., and have been perfectly very happy until now.

Wonder should I buy another HP recovery disk and start over?  Is there an inherent problem w/this comp, possibly?  Or, should I do a clean install w/Vista DVD and forget the one year warranty? 

Honestly, I know not what to do.  For twenty+ years, I taught (and constantly learned) basic computer skills, basic trouble shooting, etc., etc.  Now, I am 66 yrs. old and sort of tired. 

It is wonderful of you to be so helpful to me, and to so many people.  Your skills are grand.  I really appreciate you.  If you would be so kind as to voice an opinion on what would be the smartest thing, long term, I would be thrilled.

Thank you again for your time,

Jo Ellen

Friday, February 15, 2008 4:41 AM
  • Jo Ellen, you're doing great.

I'd go ahead and backup to the external disk (or could you burn the data to DVD?) and plan for a complete reinstall. I'm concerned about your experience with HP, though. They should have provided a new recovery CD to match what was on your computer, but by buying a full install, you didn't install all of their pre-installed "crapware" that comes with a new PC.

I'm also concerned about 7 hours for recovery. That sounds to me like a potentially failing hard disk. It may be worth you while to contact HP once again and try to convince them to send you a new drive. A recovery from the HP Vista DVD should typically take about an hour, sometimes much less.

I just did a search on your original error and this thread, http://forums.software.com/softhelp/vista/failure-security-options-logon-process-failed-create-dial-ftopict124945.html, has a rather interesting discussion where it was the hard drive cable causing the problem. Since it is a laptop, this would not apply, however, it could point to a problem with the drive or the motherboard. The only way to be sure would be to try another drive. Perhaps simply opening the door where the drive is and reseating it to the connector will resolve it.

That thread also suggested that the error can occur at startup with some conflicting security applications. Had you installed any other antispyware programs before this happened?

-steve

Saturday, February 16, 2008 2:50 AM
  • Dear Steve,

The "flu" bug has really "slowed" me down.  Yesterday, purchased a USB Flash drive, saved all data. THANK YOU for research.  I just read.  It seems your idea of using HP "System Recovery" disk (with 1,000's of "crapware") is the only way for me to go. 

Exactly as you suggested, HP tech says he thinks is HD or Motherboard.  

I must attempt to restore comp to original so that he can issue an order for me to send the computer back to them. 

Right here, right now, is my LAST letter on this little machine.  It ihas actually been up for about five min.  OH, I do dread this, but no choice.  Cannot thank you enough, and will most certainly let you know what all happens.  Look forward to talking to you again.  Will access e-mail from my daughter's comp. 

Sincerely,  Jo Ellen

Sunday, February 17, 2008 11:41 PM
  • Good luck to you, and I trust that you'll feel better soon.

-steve

Monday, February 18, 2008 2:40 AM
  • Exactly the same problem with Vista slowing down to a crawl and same error (Log on process has failed to open security options dialogue).

Was running PC Tools Spyware Doctor with CA E-trust antivirus.

PC Tools had upgraded overnight.

Had to boot into Safe Mode, then do system restore.

Uninstalling CA E-trust (as Spyware Doctor now has antivirus engine) finally fixed it and system as good as new!

Never a good idea to run two of the same types of programs, but can't help automatic upgrades.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 4:15 AM
  • Exact same problem Vista Ultimate

Norton 360 2.0

Solution: Uninstall Norton 360

Install Norton 360

Problem solved.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 11:40 PM
  • UPDATE: Norton 360 2.0 was not the issue, it worked for few hours and then error re appeared

I decided to reinstall Vista Ultimate, I did it from the Recovery DVD, but before I did that I feared that it may delete my information on my secondary drive (ESmile, so I disconnected it before the installation, then everything was perfect until I reconnected the secondary HDD (SATA), it failed agan. Searching the internet I found in other forums about an issue with the SATA cable, what I did, was to swap the cable from the DVD ROM to the HDD and then problem has not happen again for several hours. I will update later.

Monday, August 25, 2008 12:53 AM
  • Hi everyone,
    I think I have a solution to this problem.
    I have had the security options failure for a few months now and everything i have tried has failed.
    However, last night whilst browsing my machine I noticed Mcafee was blocking a script that was trying to run from my temp directory. "C:\Users\localadmin\AppData\Local\Temp"
    I used the windows cleanup tool to delete temp files but noticed the directory still had lots of things in it, so i deleted everything in the temp directory except, temporary internet files and the history folder,
    I have not had the security problem now for 24 hours. There was a lot of vbs script files in this folder and I am guessing these vbs scripts were what was causing the damage.
    I hope this helps at least some other misfortunate users.
    Dean
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 9:04 PM
  • Hello,

I had the same problem quite a few days and finally I contacted to HP Chat support and they provided the following solution which fixed my problem...atleast not having this problem for last two days.

Step 1:

1. Click Start, Run

Or hold down Windows logo key on the keyboard and press R.

2. Type MSCONFIG
    3. Click OK
    4. Click STARTUP tab
    5. Please uncheck all the entries other than atptaxx, syntpenh, syntpenh, itunes helper, qttask, eabservr, cpqset and sndmon(if found in the list).
    6. Click OK
    7. Restart the system

Note: After you restart the machine you may receive a dialogue box stating 'System is running using Selective Startup', Check 'Don't show this message or launch the system configuration utility when Windows Starts' and click OK.

Step 2:

Click on Start and type CMD in the search box just above the Start button and then you would see CMD in Menu bar.
    Right click on CMD and click on Run as administrator.
    1. Now you would see a black window where you need to type sfc /scannow and hit enter.
    2. Now scanning and repairing process starts. This may take 10to 25 minutes.
    3. Once it is done, you can close the window. And restart the Notebook.

Step 3:

1. Press Windows key + R
    2. Type devmgmt.msc and press enter.
    3. Click the plus (+) sign next to System Devices.
    4. Right-click the ACPI Fixed Features button and select Uninstall.
    5. Restart the system. 

On restarting the system, Windows will automatically detect and install Power Management on the computer.

Ankish

Sunday, March 15, 2009 11:26 PM
  • HI there,

the same problem appeared on my laptop - suddenly Failure - security options dialog appeared. With no visible reason my vista home premium stop working, it freezes, window by window... this happens like 5times a day... i have tried scf scan, chdsks, ram check, essential antivirus scan, registry cleaning... still not working, still freezing. the computer is 2 month old...this is my first vista crash... any ideas what to do? thx
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 1:39 PM
  •  

You're off topic for this forum, which is dedicated to Windows Live OneCare.

Your question may be better posed to one of the forums here.

Vista:
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsvista

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 4:07 PM