Sys drive crash – “Server Reinstallation/New Installation” option - Can I recover old Computer Backups? RRS feed

• Question

• All,

Referring to my other thread ... "Sys drive crash – “Server Reinstallation” option is not available" ... I have decide to proceed with "New Installation" option - Not a lot of choice really :-(

Just in case anyone has time before I plug in, copy data and then add my drives to the new system ... my question is ...

Is there a way to recover the old computer backups after I plug in (but not add) the data drives? If so, please explain.

My situation is that my Sys drive failed. Data drives are all inact (I think). I can't use the "Reinstall" option as it is not available.
    Friday, September 12, 2008 10:40 AM

Answers

• In theory, if you have all the drives available, recovering the backup database is tedious but not difficult. If any components of the backup database were actually stored on the failed drive, however, the entire database should be considered lost. You can learn more about copying the backup database from the Home Computer Backup technical brief.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 12, 2008 12:35 PM