CRM 2011 - Opportunity customisation and Entity Relationships. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi <o:p></o:p>

I am trying to customise a fairly vanilla Dynamics CRM 2011 package for my company that deals with opportunities involving numerous contacts. <o:p></o:p>

As the opportunity entity stands at the moment users are able to associate a single account or contact to an opportunity record using the 'potential customer' lookup field. This includes the inhernet child parent relationship in the system.

However our users want to associate more then one contact or company to the project. I
    attempted to get around this issue by using the 'relationship' entity so that people could associate more records. I used this rather then the 'connections' entity as when a contact was linked to an opportunity using 'relationships' the
    opportunity record appears in the contacts record opportunity section, where as if connections are used the link appears in the connections section. It seemed to make sense that all opportunities to appear in the opportunities section rather
    then getting users to go to different areas. <o:p></o:p>

However
    this method has brought up two problems:<o:p></o:p>

1. Users have to flick between two filters within the opportunities view to see all opportunities as contacts linked by 'relationships' and the  'Potential customer'  filed on the opportunities form appear in different filters - either 'regarding' or 'affiliated' records.<o:p></o:p>

2. The parent child relationship between opportunity and contact/account still exists
    therefore all records on the opportunity record (i.e. events etc.) are filtered
    onto the account/company record in the 'Potential customer' form. (I cant diasble this field as its is system required) This causes problems as the opportunity record may include activities regarding a account/contact associated to the opportunity by not neccessarily in the potential customer field.

I was therefore wondering if there was anyone on the forum who have experienced this problem before regarding essentially creating a many to many relationship between opportunity - conctacts/accounts, and how you dealt with it?

Secondly i have also been informed that 'Relationships' will become obsolete in future and that 'Connections' should always be adopted to link records. Is this correct?

Many Thanks<o:p></o:p>

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 7:47 AM

All replies

• It is true that relationships are being fazed out as they have been superseded by connections.

Generally, an opportunity can only be associated to one customer. You might have other contacts involved, but I would think you'd always have a primary contact, or primary customer that the opportunity is associated with.

You could possibly add a N:N relationship, and then keep the potential customer lookup and use this as the 'primary' customer. You'd then be able to view the opportunities for a customer from their record, just in a different relationship.

Hope that helps

Paul

If my response helped you find your answer please show your thanks by taking the time to "Mark As Answer" and "Vote As Helpful".

Twitter LinkedIn Facebook Blog Magnetism

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 10:56 AM
  • Always use potential customer as contact than you will not get issue 2. Create a custom lookup for account on the form.

Change the filter of the assciated opportunities view in customization by opening associated opportunity view and changing filter criteria to your requirements and publishing it. It will solve issue #1

Regards Faisal

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 11:50 AM
  • Hi Paul

Thanks for this much appreciated.

I will look at re-adjusting our strategy to adopt 'Connections' instead of Relationships, hopefully this can be done with different views and form subgrids to make the switch over fairly straight forward for users.

One of the things that keeps comming back is that that people get involved with the project at different stages including contractors ect. This makes the potential customer field contentious with some of our users as the most important contact on the opportunity sometime changes over time.

I will play around with N:N relationships with the different entities and see if this helps. I had thought about creating a new 'manual N:N relationship' by creating a new intersecting entity to link the contacts/accounts and projects together, but this may be a bit fiddly for users.

Many Thanks.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 9:18 AM
  • Hi Faisal

Issue 2 is occuring because 'potential customer' is being used. This field has Child Parent relationships that means that all records on the opportunity are being pulled onto the potentail customer record. This is problematic for instance when an activity is created on the opportunity and we want it to pull across to a contact assocaited to the opportunity but not necessarly the company on the potentail customer field.

I will review the chnaging the filter options again - however the problem is that the options i need to change are in the 'Include' records in an opportunity associated view. I can either set this to include records that are either 'regarding' or 'affiliated' with the record in a filtered view. At the moment I have been unable to find anywhere where i can change this aspect of the filter.

Many Thanks.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 9:24 AM