Is it unrealistic to use WHS to store "baseline" backups? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Whenever I set up a new PC to be backed up with WHS, I always save the very first backup, in case I need to get my PC back to its baseline state (after I've removed bloatware, installed some apps, etc.)

On a few occassions in the past few months, my WHS has suffered some sort of problem with its backup database. Repairing it always results in at least one PC having all of its backups wiped out. Am I being unrealistic in my want to keep these baseline backups? Are there other ways to meet this need? I would rather not use the recovery partition, since I would need to reinstall and reuninstall apps.

On a related note, it still frustrates me that there is no official way to backup the backup database. 
    Monday, July 6, 2009 1:35 AM

All replies

• Whenever I set up a new PC to be backed up with WHS, I always save the very first backup, in case I need to get my PC back to its baseline state (after I've removed bloatware, installed some apps, etc.)

On a few occassions in the past few months, my WHS has suffered some sort of problem with its backup database. Repairing it always results in at least one PC having all of its backups wiped out. Am I being unrealistic in my want to keep these baseline backups? Are there other ways to meet this need? I would rather not use the recovery partition, since I would need to reinstall and reuninstall apps.

On a related note, it still frustrates me that there is no official way to backup the backup database. 

WHS is designed to get you back to a "last known good state" (meaning last night's backup), not a "state you started from days/weeks/months/years ago".  As you've already noted, if any one portion of the backup database gets corrupted, chances are the entire backup database will be lost.  However, if you really want to backup the backup database, you can either use the BDBB add-in or DIY using the Backup and Restore Technical Brief.
    Monday, July 6, 2009 2:11 AM
  • WHS is designed to get you back to a "last known good state" (meaning last night's backup), not a "state you started from days/weeks/months/years ago".  

This is a pretty important distinction to make, thank you for stating it. If I can adhere to this expected use, then I will find these backup database issues to be less frustrating.

Backing up the backup database is really important to me because frequent power outages occur here. That was the cause of the last two backup database errors; this last outage actually killed one of my server's HDDs. What if my HTPC's HDD was taken out too? Then after repairing the backup database, I learned that the HTPC's backups were all wiped out? This scenario isn't far-fetched. I'll look into the BDBB add-in, but I think that it should be a built-in function, like the backup of the shared folders.
    Monday, July 6, 2009 2:22 AM

WHS is designed to get you back to a "last known good state" (meaning last night's backup), not a "state you started from days/weeks/months/years ago".  As you've already noted, if any one portion of the backup database gets corrupted, chances are the entire backup database will be lost.  However, if you really want to backup the backup database, you can either use the BDBB add-in or DIY using the Backup and Restore Technical Brief .

I have to disagree with parts of this answer. WHS is designed to get you back to a SAVED good state, not necessarily the "last known" good state. This is evident by the ability to save a large number of daily, weekly and monthly backups and if it were intended to only restore to the "last known" good state then we wouldn't need to, nor should we be able to, save older backups. If the BU database gets corrupted you may not be able to get back to the "last known good" or any other save BU either.

The problem, as many people have discussed, is the lack of redundancy built in to the WHS BU system (without using an add-in anyway) by default.

Also, even without BU database corruption, I've have more than one machine that couldn't be successfully restored (to a running state) from successful backups so the OP may want to use more than one BU system (like ghost, acronis, etc) for the important baseline images.

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Monday, July 6, 2009 2:48 AM