corrupted rpcrt4.dll RRS feed

• Question

• A lot of people are getting this problem but no one is gettng a solution that works.  I am one of them.  Has anyone found a solution?

From your Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool (MGADT) report, I see you have a On Disk type Mod-Auth. Meaning there is a critical system file (in your case rpcrt4.dll) that has either been Modified or has become Corrupt. You can see this file listed in your MGADT report by looking for the words "File Mismatch:" under the "File Scan Data-->" line

chemist867

Thursday, January 29, 2009 12:30 AM

Answers

• Hello chemist867

The last part of your post is a direct quote of part of my resolution text for "On Disk Mod-Auth involving rpcrt4.dll", below I have included the fill resolution text.

------------------Resolution text for "On Disk Mod-Auth involving rpcrt4.dll"------------------------

From your Diagnostic Report, I see you have a On Disk type Mod-Auth. Meaning there is a critical system file (in your case rpcrt4.dll) that has either been Modified or has become Corrupt. You can see this file listed in your Diagnostic Report by looking for the words "File Mismatch:" under the "File Scan Data-->" line

To resolve the issue, we need to replace the bad file with a unmodified/uncorrupted (known good) copy. You have two options to choose from, to do this:

A) Re-install a past Update that contains this file, which for file rpcrt4.dll would be update KB933729. Unfortunately, most Vista updates can only be installed once. If you were to try to install an update that has already been installed on a system, you will usually get the error "This update does not apply to your system". So, to get around this, you will need to uninstall the update and then re-install the update. To do so, please follow the below steps:

1)  Try installing update KB933729  from this link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ceca7f8c-7b56-48fc-8c17-87ffadf25629&DisplayLang=en if you receive the error "This update does not apply to your system" then Vista isn't going to allow you to re-install this update, so you will need to uninstall it first, then reinstall. (Continue to step 2) 

2) Log into Vista in Safe Mode

3) Click 'Start' button, then Click 'Control Panel'.

4) Click 'Classic View' in the upper right of the Control Panel window.

5) Double-Click the icon named 'Programs and Features'.

6) Click the 'View installed updates' link in the upper right of the Program and Features window.

7) It may take some time for the list of Updates to appear, please wait.

8) Right-Click on the update 'KB933729' and select 'Unistall'.

9) Reboot into Normal Mode

10) Install update KB933729  from this link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ceca7f8c-7b56-48fc-8c17-87ffadf25629&DisplayLang=en

B) Install Service Pack 1 for Vista (found at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b0c7136d-5ebb-413b-89c9-cb3d06d12674&DisplayLang=en). File rpcrt4.dll should be included in the SP1 install.

(Note: this is the simpler way to resolve, but be aware that I have not received confirmation that rpcrt4.dll is, in fact, included in SP1. So if this option does not resolve the issue, please see option A).

C) Repair Windows using System Restore:

1) Reboot Vista into Safe Mode

2) Go to Control Panel

3) On the left hand side of the Control Panel window, Click on "Classic View"

4) Double-click "Backup and Restore Center"

5) On the left hand side of the window, click "Repair Windows using system restore"

6) Select "Choose Different Restore Point", Put a check in the box that says "Show restore points older than 5 days", select the restore point that corresponds to the date Before you first noticed the issue.

7) Click the "Next" button.

8) Reboot back into Normal mode

9) Vista should no longer be in Reduced Functionality mode

Thank you,

Darin

Attention Forum All Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, January 29, 2009 11:11 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by chemist867 Friday, January 30, 2009 8:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, February 9, 2009 6:50 PM
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 11:10 PM

All replies

• Hello chemist867

The last part of your post is a direct quote of part of my resolution text for "On Disk Mod-Auth involving rpcrt4.dll", below I have included the fill resolution text.

------------------Resolution text for "On Disk Mod-Auth involving rpcrt4.dll"------------------------

From your Diagnostic Report, I see you have a On Disk type Mod-Auth. Meaning there is a critical system file (in your case rpcrt4.dll) that has either been Modified or has become Corrupt. You can see this file listed in your Diagnostic Report by looking for the words "File Mismatch:" under the "File Scan Data-->" line

To resolve the issue, we need to replace the bad file with a unmodified/uncorrupted (known good) copy. You have two options to choose from, to do this:

A) Re-install a past Update that contains this file, which for file rpcrt4.dll would be update KB933729. Unfortunately, most Vista updates can only be installed once. If you were to try to install an update that has already been installed on a system, you will usually get the error "This update does not apply to your system". So, to get around this, you will need to uninstall the update and then re-install the update. To do so, please follow the below steps:

1)  Try installing update KB933729  from this link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ceca7f8c-7b56-48fc-8c17-87ffadf25629&DisplayLang=en if you receive the error "This update does not apply to your system" then Vista isn't going to allow you to re-install this update, so you will need to uninstall it first, then reinstall. (Continue to step 2) 

2) Log into Vista in Safe Mode

3) Click 'Start' button, then Click 'Control Panel'.

4) Click 'Classic View' in the upper right of the Control Panel window.

5) Double-Click the icon named 'Programs and Features'.

6) Click the 'View installed updates' link in the upper right of the Program and Features window.

7) It may take some time for the list of Updates to appear, please wait.

8) Right-Click on the update 'KB933729' and select 'Unistall'.

9) Reboot into Normal Mode

10) Install update KB933729  from this link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ceca7f8c-7b56-48fc-8c17-87ffadf25629&DisplayLang=en

B) Install Service Pack 1 for Vista (found at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b0c7136d-5ebb-413b-89c9-cb3d06d12674&DisplayLang=en). File rpcrt4.dll should be included in the SP1 install.

(Note: this is the simpler way to resolve, but be aware that I have not received confirmation that rpcrt4.dll is, in fact, included in SP1. So if this option does not resolve the issue, please see option A).

C) Repair Windows using System Restore:

1) Reboot Vista into Safe Mode

2) Go to Control Panel

3) On the left hand side of the Control Panel window, Click on "Classic View"

4) Double-click "Backup and Restore Center"

5) On the left hand side of the window, click "Repair Windows using system restore"

6) Select "Choose Different Restore Point", Put a check in the box that says "Show restore points older than 5 days", select the restore point that corresponds to the date Before you first noticed the issue.

7) Click the "Next" button.

8) Reboot back into Normal mode

9) Vista should no longer be in Reduced Functionality mode

Thank you,

Darin

Attention Forum All Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, January 29, 2009 11:11 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by chemist867 Friday, January 30, 2009 8:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, February 9, 2009 6:50 PM
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 11:10 PM
  • Your suggestions do not work.

chemist867

Friday, January 30, 2009 8:59 PM
  • Could you elaberate?

Did you try reinstalling a past update? What happened? (be descriptive)

Did you install Service Pack 1? What happened? (be descriptive)

Did you try repairing Windows using a System Restore? What happened? (be descriptive)

Help me, help you.

Otherwise, my only other suggestion would be to reinstall windows.

Please also provide a Diagnostic Report so I have a fuller picture of the issue.  You can download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue" click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

If you do not have access to the Start Button:

1) Login to Vista and Click the option that brings up Internet Explorer.

2) Type: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 into the browser address bar.

3) A window will come up asking if you want to Run or Save, Select Run

4) When the program runs, Click the Continue button, then click the Copy button.

5) Return to this thread by Typing: http://forums.community.microsoft.com/en-US/genuinevista/thread/8a57a012-8f38-4430-a632-fffcdffcaf75 into the browser address bar.

6) In a reply post, Paste the Diagnostic Report.

Thank you,

Darin MS

Friday, January 30, 2009 11:06 PM
  • Darin Smith MS said:

Could you elaberate?

Did you try reinstalling a past update? What happened? (be descriptive)

Did you install Service Pack 1? What happened? (be descriptive)

Did you try repairing Windows using a System Restore? What happened? (be descriptive)

Help me, help you.

Otherwise, my only other suggestion would be to reinstall windows.

Please also provide a Diagnostic Report so I have a fuller picture of the issue.  You can download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue" click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

If you do not have access to the Start Button:

1) Login to Vista and Click the option that brings up Internet Explorer.

2) Type: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 into the browser address bar.

3) A window will come up asking if you want to Run or Save, Select Run

4) When the program runs, Click the Continue button, then click the Copy button.

5) Return to this thread by Typing: http://forums.community.microsoft.com/en-US/genuinevista/thread/8a57a012-8f38-4430-a632-fffcdffcaf75 into the browser address bar.

6) In a reply post, Paste the Diagnostic Report.

Thank you,

Darin MS

You could also extract the file from the .WIM on the CD and replace it.

Friday, February 6, 2009 11:26 PM
  •  

No, motherboardlove, that would not work.

Here is why: 

Fact 1) Vista has a encrypted file called the System Catalog. This file records the Signature Hash of all of Vista's current system files.

Fact 2) If a file is changes in any way, it's signature hash will change.

Fact 3) The reason this customer's Vista is in a On Disk Mod-Auth is because the signature hash for file rpcrt4.dll is different then what is listed in Vista's System Catalog

Fact 4) A number of Window Updates (including SP1, I believe) have updated versions of file rpcrt4.dll 

Fact 5) when a file is updated, usually something about that file has changed 

Fact 6) An updated version of file rpcrt4.dll would have a different Signature hash then an older version of file rpcrt4.dll (see fact 2)

Fact 7) The customer has installed a Windows Update that contains file rpcrt4.dll because the steps I provided above, says to installed a Windows Update that contains file rpcrt4.dll. Which he says didn't work. Which implies that he tried it.

So, given the above facts, what do we know?

~We know that the file rpcrt4.dll, taken from the install disk, would be an older version then the one currently on the customer's computer 

Therefor

~We know that the signature hash of the file rpcrt4.dll, taken from the install disk, would be different then the one currently on the customer's computer

Therefor

~We know that if the user attempted to replace file rpcrt4.dll, that is currently on the customer's computer, with the one taken from the install disk, the signature hash would still be different then is listed in Vista's System Catalog.

Therefor

~We know your suggestion would not resolve the customer's issue.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 1:22 AM