Windows 7 Ultimate Get Genuine Online Kit. Why am I able to activate on 'another' pc? RRS feed

• Question

• I bought the Windows 7 Ultimate Get Genuine Online Kit (GGOK) about 1 week ago to replace a fake Windows 7 Ultimate disc key I bought from ebay a couple of months ago. The GGOK key activated fine on the PC. I was not happy with the GGOK licensing as I can only use it on the PC that had the fake windows installed on it (according to the Supplemental Licence Terms I received with the GGOK disc that Microsoft mailed out to me). I ended up buying Windows 7 Full Retail version and installed in on the PC with GGOK and thereby replaced (or effectively uninstalled) the GGOK version.

To test the GGOK licence terms I used the GGOK on another PC at home that contains Windows 7 Ultimate and I thought that it would not allow me to activate. Lo and behold, after using the phone activation, I was able to activate the GGOK on a computer that is different to the original computer it was on. What is going on? Why does Microsoft say, on the one hand, that I cannot activate the GGOK on 'another' pc but then do a complete backflip and allow that activation to happen? Have I slipped through the cracks or is the Microsoft Police a little slow to respond such that I find out a couple of months down the track that my key is blocked because I used in on 'another' pc.

Saturday, July 3, 2010 7:55 AM

Answers

• Good question :)

I think that what's happening here is that the Kit is the FUll Retail packaging, with all that that entails - the SEULA that you read doesn't change that, but does limit you in law. It's unlikely that MS would actually bother to block it unless they discovered it was being actively used on a number of machines - but don't tell anyone :)

(the usual 'I Am Not A Lawyer' disclaimer applies - also I'm not a Softie, either so have no more real idea than you)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by tonyeliza01 Saturday, July 3, 2010 8:32 PM
    Saturday, July 3, 2010 8:13 AM
  • Hello tonyeliza01,

I think it's the same concept as officiating in sports:  is something done against the rules by a player a penalty if the referee does not call it a penalty?

The difference between the letter of the law and the law as enforced.  In the technological world, some things can be enforced electronically and some things can't be.

In your situation I think after seeing the supplemental terms in black and white, you could have sent the materials back to MS for a refund on the basis of rejecting the terms.  Here in the USA MS allows a 45-day return period.....not sure what it is in Aus.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Saturday, July 3, 2010 2:01 PM

All replies

• Good question :)

I think that what's happening here is that the Kit is the FUll Retail packaging, with all that that entails - the SEULA that you read doesn't change that, but does limit you in law. It's unlikely that MS would actually bother to block it unless they discovered it was being actively used on a number of machines - but don't tell anyone :)

(the usual 'I Am Not A Lawyer' disclaimer applies - also I'm not a Softie, either so have no more real idea than you)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, July 3, 2010 8:13 AM
  • Hello tonyeliza01,

I think it's the same concept as officiating in sports:  is something done against the rules by a player a penalty if the referee does not call it a penalty?

The difference between the letter of the law and the law as enforced.  In the technological world, some things can be enforced electronically and some things can't be.

In your situation I think after seeing the supplemental terms in black and white, you could have sent the materials back to MS for a refund on the basis of rejecting the terms.  Here in the USA MS allows a 45-day return period.....not sure what it is in Aus.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Saturday, July 3, 2010 2:01 PM