none
ICE stalls silently on reading from USB disk RRS feed

• Question

• ICE stalls silently on reading images, no progress, no error message, when I try to read images from my external photo HD (Western Digital “My Book” 4TB, USB 3.0 or 2.0 connected).

I was using ICE 1.4.4 for more than two years on my Win7 SP1 (64bit) desktop with internal HD and external HD’s (USB 2.0, 500GB and 2TB). But with my new external drive it stalls now (probably after a bunch of Microsoft Updates, I did not update since 10 months ! ).

I have to copy the images to my internal HD (500GB) to stitch them, from there it works like a charm.

However, after stitching with ICE (from internal HD) I can save (export to disk) to my external 4TB USB drive.

So it’s “only” the reading from my USB drive that doesn’t work.

(I'm not sure if it worked before with that drive, I think so, but ... ?)

The 4TB external drive works fine in Explorer and other applications, connected either to USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 ports of my desktop.

Using ICE in details:

I still can multi - select the images from the external HD using Files - New Project

(mind: The “Drop …” action did never work, hovering an .jpg over the grey area indicates “not possible to drop here”, that’s sad, but …)

and click at “open” (guardar, my system is in Spanish) but that’s it.

It will go back to the ICE window, I can briefly see the “Drop ….” text, then it changes to “Reading Source Images” but nothing happens, no progress.

From the Task Manager I can see ICE.exe still 13% CPU usage (i7) and 43.6MB memory usage, but for one hour unchanged (just 2 images, 4.7MB each).

After “Cancel” in ICE it says “Canceling…” but without change in Task Manager, not ending, of course.

Closing the ICE window ( X ) there is a message “Project hasn’t been saves…” and after clicking “Discard” Windows finally realizes the stalled program.

I also have deinstalled and installed the latest version (which was the same I already had …) but no avail, exactly the same behavior.

There may be some similar unanswered threads:

hangs-on-reading-source-images?forum=ice

not-creating-panoramas?forum=ice

And specially THE FIRST REPLY HERE:

ice-wont-load-pics?forum=ice

(too bad, no links allowed)

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 4:01 PM

Answers

• Miguel, thanks for the detailed post.  We're aware from previous forum posts that ICE is stalling when reading images from USB-connected external disks larger than 2 TB.  We first noticed the problem in the following post: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b2d58489-c221-4391-8e12-98023e0ab0e6/drag-and-drop-from-western-digital-external-causes-a-crash?forum=ice.

We are investigating this issue, and hope to fix it in a future release.  For now, please try to work around the problem by copying your images to an internal disk or a smaller USB drive.

Eric Stollnitz, Interactive Visual Media Group, Microsoft Research

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 5:17 PM

All replies

• BTW, when I select the images from the 4TB external disk all images show valid thumbnails and file names, very similar to an Explorer window.

Selecting two images with Ctr + click adds them in the file name field as it does with selections from other drives (“img_01.jpg” “img_02.jpg”).

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 6:15 PM
  • Miguel, thanks for the detailed post.  We're aware from previous forum posts that ICE is stalling when reading images from USB-connected external disks larger than 2 TB.  We first noticed the problem in the following post: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b2d58489-c221-4391-8e12-98023e0ab0e6/drag-and-drop-from-western-digital-external-causes-a-crash?forum=ice.

We are investigating this issue, and hope to fix it in a future release.  For now, please try to work around the problem by copying your images to an internal disk or a smaller USB drive.

Eric Stollnitz, Interactive Visual Media Group, Microsoft Research

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 5:17 PM
  • Thanks for coming back to the forum!

Um, no offense, but wouldn’t it be a nice idea to add that point to your “Known Issues” thread after 2+ years?

Regards,

Miguel

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 2:35 PM