Newb thought - I was hoping for more..... RRS feed

• Question

• I have had my MS home server installed for about two weeks now and it seems to be working perfectly....does it's backups and stores files as expected. I'm new to this server thing but I guess that I expected a little more. It seems like a waste to have this thing running 24/7 just for backups and storage. I know that I am going to get ripped really bad for this but why can't a home server do more? I'd like to see it:

1. Allow me to install a music player so that I can at least play some music on it.

2. Wouldn't it be great if you could install something like BeyondTv (needs to run 24/7 anyway for recording) on the server?

I guess that what I'm saying is that this would be an outstanding product as a media center/server type OS if this would be possible. Probably security/stability concerns would prevent this combination but after all this is a HOME server we're talking about and not a dumbed down business server. Just a thought...... Sorry if I offended anyone.

Leon

Saturday, December 1, 2007 11:45 PM

Answers

• Iger,

You are not alone. There is room in this world for a product that provides all that you want, and more (e.g. home automation, centralization of all media, router and access point functionality, UMA/cellular support, whatever) right out of the box. WHS is not that product, and was not designed to be, at least not in this initial release.

The various add-ons and hacks that are available are useful and great fun for people like us who enjoy messing around with systems, but they are not a good idea for the intended user of WHS, who is presumed to lack both the skills and the interest to make them work.

WHS does everything it promises, but perhaps the name implies more than that. My guess is that lots of people who buy WHS will expect it to manage their media, and to serve them up to all the computers in the house. HP has has taken steps to do that in its WHS box, with its own add-on software. I wish that functionality and more were in the base system, though, because if each OEM manufacturer does their own version we are going to have a forking nightmare. (double-entendre intended, for you Linux folks!)

Sunday, December 2, 2007 2:42 PM

All replies

• Yes when you first use or in most peoples cases don’t use your home server it is hard to realizes

1. That your hole music library should be moved to the server and shared with all the players in your house (IE xbox other pc’s) not played on the server.
    2. Beyond TV and other media center software has been found to run on WHS.  Sage TV I believe has an addin for it. But again better to let another computer handle the recording of TV and just store and share that content from WHS.

And don’t forget the benefit of accessing all of this content anywhere!

You should also check out the addins over at you got served  

Personally I use min as a web/mail server, backup server, and central storage pool.  

But WHS really can do every thing server 2003 does; they just make  back up, centralized storage and remote access as the main benefits.

TimS

Sunday, December 2, 2007 12:42 AM
  •  lger wrote:
    I have had my MS home server installed for about two weeks now and it seems to be working perfectly....does it's backups and stores files as expected. I'm new to this server thing but I guess that I expected a little more. It seems like a waste to have this thing running 24/7 just for backups and storage. I know that I am going to get ripped really bad for this but why can't a home server do more? I'd like to see it:

1. Allow me to install a music player so that I can at least play some music on it.

It's a server.  That kind of defeats the purpose.

lger wrote:
    2. Wouldn't it be great if you could install something like BeyondTv (needs to run 24/7 anyway for recording) on the server?

It may work.  I don't know if anyone has tried it....

lger wrote:
    I guess that what I'm saying is that this would be an outstanding product as a media center/server type OS if this would be possible. Probably security/stability concerns would prevent this combination but after all this is a HOME server we're talking about and not a dumbed down business server. Just a thought...... Sorry if I offended anyone.

Leon

You can install a lot of other programs on it (see various posts through out this forum).  The problem is, as you said, the more you install, the more likely it will become unstable.  I believe we will see a future incarnation of WHS that will have at least some MC abilities, but that may be a few years down the road....

Sunday, December 2, 2007 12:46 AM
  • Hi Leon. Well, providing backups and storing files in a central location is the sort of thing that servers do, it just isn't very exciting. That's why it's designed to be a box that you tuck away in a closet and forget about until you delete a file or your hard disc dies. Then it's worth every penny!

The "proper" configuration for WHS doesn't have a sound card, so a media player's a bit wasted Smile

However, WHS does offer a whole lot more including remote access to your files, and with the addons (see http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/windows-home-server-add-ins/) there is a lot of extra functionality. For TV recording, there are addons for copying your recordings to WHS and managing them very efficiently (eg the Recorded TV Manager addin), and SageTV have a WHS offering (http://www.sagetv.com/whs.html)

Sunday, December 2, 2007 12:57 AM
  •  lger wrote:

2. Wouldn't it be great if you could install something like BeyondTv (needs to run 24/7 anyway for recording) on the server?

Leon

As far as beyondTV, I'm currently testing this out with Hauppauge HVR-950 USB stick and works very well.  My recording drive is non-pooled 200 gig drive.  Just ordered HVR-1800 from Newegg and will be testing this out with SageTV, both of which appear to have quite a bit more capabilities.

Sunday, December 2, 2007 12:59 AM
  • I probably jumped the gun here a little by airing my thoughts. I've been building and operating computers as a hobbiest for around 30 years but have never really ventured into the server side of things. I've dabbled in Linux over the past few years and I guess that I was kind of hoping that this home server OS would allow me to do some of the things that I COULD do in linux if I were to dedicate a lot of time to learning command lines and config files..... getting too old for that so I thought MS Home Server might be the easy route... I ordered a "Dummies" book - well qualified - from Amazon a couple of weeks ago so I'll wait until it gets here and read it before I ask any questions. I'll also check out the add-on site that you mentioned.

I didn't realize that other programs could be installed. I know that this defeats the purpose of a server for most of you but for me... I really don't need to be all that secure. Stability would be nice though. Thanks for mentioning that other programs can be installed. I HAVE to ask one question please? I know that I said that I wouldn't.... sorry! What do I look for as far as compatibility goes? Do I look for Server 2003 compatibility - don't think that I've ever seen one of those but never really looked, XP compatibility, Win 2000?

I am not planning on doing anything to my current install - love what it does even though I have this feeling that my TI-99-4a could have done this if I could have found hard drives large enough... lol - until I become more informed. I'll read and study for a while before I ask any  more questions. I really appreciate the time and effort that many of you put in these forums to help the lost. Thank you my friends...

Leon

Sunday, December 2, 2007 4:13 AM
  • all i have to say is lol
    Sunday, December 2, 2007 5:48 AM
  •  lger wrote:
    I probably jumped the gun here a little by airing my thoughts. I've been building and operating computers as a hobbiest for around 30 years but have never really ventured into the server side of things. I've dabbled in Linux over the past few years and I guess that I was kind of hoping that this home server OS would allow me to do some of the things that I COULD do in linux if I were to dedicate a lot of time to learning command lines and config files..... getting too old for that so I thought MS Home Server might be the easy route... I ordered a "Dummies" book - well qualified - from Amazon a couple of weeks ago so I'll wait until it gets here and read it before I ask any questions. I'll also check out the add-on site that you mentioned.

I didn't realize that other programs could be installed. I know that this defeats the purpose of a server for most of you but for me... I really don't need to be all that secure. Stability would be nice though. Thanks for mentioning that other programs can be installed. I HAVE to ask one question please? I know that I said that I wouldn't.... sorry! What do I look for as far as compatibility goes? Do I look for Server 2003 compatibility - don't think that I've ever seen one of those but never really looked, XP compatibility, Win 2000?

Hardware wise, WS2K3 is first.  If you can't find compatible hardware/drivers for 2003, XP might work too (my NIC driver is XP).  I seriously doubt you'll have much luck with 2000.

As for software, anything that runs on 2003/XP should run on WHS as well (but I make no promises Smile  ).

lger wrote:
    I am not planning on doing anything to my current install - love what it does even though I have this feeling that my TI-99-4a could have done this if I could have found hard drives large enough... lol - until I become more informed. I'll read and study for a while before I ask any  more questions. I really appreciate the time and effort that many of you put in these forums to help the lost. Thank you my friends...

Leon

No problem.  Feel free to ask as many questions as you like... Smile

Sunday, December 2, 2007 6:34 AM
  • I didn't realize that other programs could be installed. I know that this defeats the purpose of a server for most of you but for me... I really don't need to be all that secure. Stability would be nice though. Thanks for mentioning that other programs can be installed.

For maximum stability, install minimal extra software, of course Smile

Sunday, December 2, 2007 10:44 AM
  •  David The Lite wrote:
    all i have to say is lol

Are you laughing WITH me or AT me?  I am laughing AT myself for being so incredibly ignorant about this so in effect you would be laughing WITH me if you were laughing AT me. Have fun my friend.....   Leon

Sunday, December 2, 2007 12:03 PM
  • Iger,

You are not alone. There is room in this world for a product that provides all that you want, and more (e.g. home automation, centralization of all media, router and access point functionality, UMA/cellular support, whatever) right out of the box. WHS is not that product, and was not designed to be, at least not in this initial release.

The various add-ons and hacks that are available are useful and great fun for people like us who enjoy messing around with systems, but they are not a good idea for the intended user of WHS, who is presumed to lack both the skills and the interest to make them work.

WHS does everything it promises, but perhaps the name implies more than that. My guess is that lots of people who buy WHS will expect it to manage their media, and to serve them up to all the computers in the house. HP has has taken steps to do that in its WHS box, with its own add-on software. I wish that functionality and more were in the base system, though, because if each OEM manufacturer does their own version we are going to have a forking nightmare. (double-entendre intended, for you Linux folks!)

Sunday, December 2, 2007 2:42 PM