none
back up and shared folders? RRS feed

• Question

• I am sure that this question came up before, but I am struggling to find something anywhere to get this question answered. So if anybody could point me into the right direction that would be greatly appreciated!

I got my WHS up and running and it automatically backs up my Vista Laptop and my XP Office PC. Now the question is, can I somehow put all my photos and mp3s and movies into the shared folders and have WHS update it (back up from clients) automatically when I add pictures to my Vista laptop client or rip another CD or DVD on my XP PC client?

That was what I understood would happen when it backs up only files that have changed or have been added. With having so many different files it is difficult to overview which files have been added to the back up. I used to manually back files up to an external hard drive, but that is very tedious!!!

Basically, what the WHS backs up now and what I manually copy into the shared folders really is the same stuff and redundancy is great, but right now everything is on the same drive!!

any ideas?
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 4:02 PM

Answers

• No. The home computer backup database and the server shares are completely separate. There is no connection between the two. When the promotional literature talks about backing up only files that have changed, it's talking about home computer backup, not the shares.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 4:36 PM

All replies

• No. The home computer backup database and the server shares are completely separate. There is no connection between the two. When the promotional literature talks about backing up only files that have changed, it's talking about home computer backup, not the shares.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 4:36 PM
  • That's what I was afraid of. That would have been a nice feature. Is there such a program that would scan your Pictures/Music and Videos folders on your clients and checks for what has changed and adds that to the shared folders on the WHS?
    Or how do you guys usually do it? Just copy and paste?
    How do you do it, if you don't remember if that picture download from last August is backed up yet or not (just e.g.)?

Just wondering if somebody else has a convenient way of doing this?
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 6:28 PM
  • You can use something like Microsoft's SyncToy or robocopy (available for download from Microsoft or, for robocopy, as part of Vista) to sync folders from one location to another. Or, if you use some sort of workflow management tool like Adobe Lightroom (there are equivalents for other media types) you can integrate your server into your normal file processing workflow. I hesitate to recommend specifics, because my workflow is probably very different from yours.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 6:55 PM
  • I use and HIGHLY recommend Second Copy. http://www.secondcopy.com/
    Been using it for years, It wins the "People's Choice" best software award every year. It keeps all my personal data, photos, music, etc. in sync on my PCs and the WHS.
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 9:19 AM
  • Ken,

thanks for the recommendations. I will start my research and see what would work best for me.

Bobsie,
    I will try out second city as well and see if it works well for me. I guess due to your enthusiasms I will start with secondcopy!!

Thanks for you guys' help. I appreciate it.
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 1:02 PM