WHS Restore/Reinstall to New Hardware Options new Drives RRS feed

• Question

• Okay so I just got my WHS up and running and now I fear what happens when my hardware fails.

What are my options in the following 2 scenerios.

1.  My MB or CPU etc takes a dump.  MB is out of date, CPU is 939 old school and cant be replaced?
    How to I restore this installation to a new piece of hardware and is there any relevance to the mounting of the existing 4 (1 TB) drives?

2.  The disk that holds the WHS OS partition is the first one to go south.  What happens and how do i resolve it?

Thanks.

I have looked through all the MS official documentation but cant seem to find anything relevant.
    I did see note of reinstallation giving options of New Installation or Reinstallation, but how does WHS determine its looking at an existing WHS installation IF say the primary partions boot OS is the drive that went bad???
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 1:39 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    the potential solution for both scenarios is a server reinstall (although in the first scenario the system can boot, if the hardware is similar enough, i.e. same CPU family and chipset family could help).
    In each case the system disk must be the first volume on the controller and detected that way by the setup software.

If the primary disk fails and you replace it on the same port, the server reinstallation should still be offered.
    In this case non duplicated data, which was stored on the D: drive, can be lost or the client backups may have to be redone from the scratch.

If no server reinstallation gets offered, the data will still be on the disk, but you should perform a fresh install onto a new disk and later copy the data back - or if you have enough spare capacity to backup the shared folders before the replacement, you can do this via console or by other means.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 1:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    the potential solution for both scenarios is a server reinstall (although in the first scenario the system can boot, if the hardware is similar enough, i.e. same CPU family and chipset family could help).
    In each case the system disk must be the first volume on the controller and detected that way by the setup software.

If the primary disk fails and you replace it on the same port, the server reinstallation should still be offered.
    In this case non duplicated data, which was stored on the D: drive, can be lost or the client backups may have to be redone from the scratch.

If no server reinstallation gets offered, the data will still be on the disk, but you should perform a fresh install onto a new disk and later copy the data back - or if you have enough spare capacity to backup the shared folders before the replacement, you can do this via console or by other means.

Olaf
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 1:53 AM
  • I have a great way to get a backup of your WHS disk. It requires that obtain a copy of "Ghost" from Symantec. It is a disk cloning application and copies disk-to-disk or partition-to-partition. The version I used was V8.0. Anyway, I had WHS 120 day evaluation installed on a small (250 Gig) disk. I bought the licensed OEM version and wanted to install this to a newer higher capacity disk drive (700 Gig). What I did was disk clone the old disk to the new disk with Ghost, traded out the disk drives, rebooted and everything was intact! I mean everything! So, the moral of the story is that you can set up your WHS system the way you want it and then clone it to another hard drive and stor ethe old driive away somewhere for such an emergency.
    H-P Test Engineer
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 9:08 PM
  • In some situation cloning of the system drive may work, but in more situations it did not.
    The problem is, that WHS uses an identifier, which is originating from the physical disk.
    And this can cause, that the server boots up and looks OK, but if you look in the console, the DATA volume on the SYS drive is missing. Since this one cannot be removed from the storage pool, you can see the complications.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 10:24 PM