CRM 2011 Install 'Upgrade Existing Deployment' unable to connect to SQL DB RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am upgrading our CRM from 4.0 to 2011. The CRM 4 DB is sitting on our SQL 2008 box and reading fine. As per the documentation for installing CRM I am choosing to 'Connect to, and if necessary, upgrade an existing deployment'. I have turned the CRM 4 Server off to avoid any problems.

Once I select the SQL Server for it to use, I get the following error:

'The configuration database is unavailable. Verify that the instance of SQL Server MSSQLSERVER is available, the configuration database (MSCRM_CONFIG) exists on that instance, and then try again. A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to the SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that the SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)'

I've gone through various suggestions found on Google like making sure services are running, ports haven't been changed etc but haven't had any luck.

Has anyone come across this before?

David Robertson MCP, VCP4, AST
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 9:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Add the SQL server port both in firewall inbound and outbound ports.

Right click the SQL server select connections and enable the remote connections and set the timeout to 0 default it will be 600 seconds.

Thanks & Regards, MS CRM Consultant, V.Surya.
    Friday, December 16, 2011 5:24 AM
    Answerer
  • F/W is disabled. 'Connections' show's remote enabled and default timeout. I'll change this and see how I get on.

Thanks

Sunday, December 18, 2011 7:15 PM
  • No luck with that Timeout, I still get the same error. All services are running etc.

Any ideas?

Monday, December 19, 2011 7:25 PM
  • Hello friends!

I'm faced with the absolutly same case.

organisation has ms crm 4.0 with rollup 9.0

for migration objectives we prepared new infrastructure based on windows server 2008 r2 (1 server for application and 1 for sql and reporting)

we moved a db's copy to the new sql server and attached it (ORGNAME_MSCRM and MSCRM_CONFIG)

during upgrade process, when i try to connect to exist db I have faced an error - The configuration db is unavailable or database MSCRM_CONFIG doesnt exist.

I'm absolutly sure that sql server is ok (port 1433 is open and connection providers are available) and db state is available. securities props set correctly too.

So, what kind of reasons could be the case of described problem.

I will very thankfull for any help or advice.

Best regards,

Dmitry

Friday, January 20, 2012 2:34 PM
  • Hi,

Did you find a fix for this?

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 12:45 AM
  • Hi,

Check your SQLBrowser services is running or not.

To upgrade you took both ORGNAME_MSCRM and MSCRM_CONFIG from 4.0 server ???

FYI MSCRM_CONFIG contains default setting and licensing details which is related to CRM 4.0 is not needed for CRM 2011 upgrade.

instead of connecting existing data base, first install CRM 2011 in your new server by selecting new database, next restore your CRM 4.0 database in the same server now go for import organisation for best result..

Thanks.

Vinay Kumar.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 9:05 AM