Yet another Forum Bug : How to go directly to the last page of any thread ? RRS feed

• Question

• How to go to the last page of any thread, especially when a thread is spanning about 15-20 pages. Its rally becoming trouble for the members here to click manually and go the next page skipping only at most 5 pages at once :( they should provide an option to go directly to last page :P

what say you guys ?
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 4:16 AM

Answers

• Yes, you are right ShadowMan. It really create s a problem if anyone of us want to go to the last page of the forums.

I think they should give a link to last page of Forums of particular category.

Sunday, February 25, 2007 5:09 AM
  • It should not be like that..
    Microsoft needs us to get all thing about the thread.
    we r entering into.
    So that they need us to read all the posts in that thread
    Thats why they were not providing such facilities

Am i correct
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 6:14 AM
  • @mathavan,
    what if i have read the entire thread, and i just want to view the last post ? do MS expect me to read all the posts again  100 times ? so thats not a good idea.
    they shoudl provice links ilke First, previous, Next and Last. People are free to select where they want to jump :)
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 10:33 AM
  • Yes m8, thats what i am saying :) The admins needs to get aware of this probl.
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 10:34 AM
  • U are right ShadowMan.. I am with u... because i am also facing such problem
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 11:13 AM
  • Thx for the support :)
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 11:29 AM
  • Yes it is a big bug
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 1:52 PM
  • Lets give the Bug a name "MS KEEDA"
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 3:52 PM
  • U can't say this is a bug but u can say this is a non user friendly design.
    as bug is defines as "bug is an error, flaw, mistake, failure, or fault in a computer program that prevents it from working correctly or produces an incorrect result."

still i can give u a way to goto last page of the forum

http://forums.microsoft.com/samvaad/showpost.aspx?pageindex=4&siteid=43&postid=1315158&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=1

http://forums.microsoft.com/samvaad/showpost.aspx?pageindex=4&siteid=43&postid=1315158&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=3

if u goto forum and goto second page then u will see some thing like above ignore all and see at the end u can find page id there enter ur required page no ur problem solved ♪♫.

Or give me some time i will add it by an user script of grease monkey. may be i shall see it after 15 of this month as exams are going on.

Monday, May 7, 2007 9:19 AM
  • ya even i feel it to be difficult with out such features in the forum...
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 3:33 PM
  • exactly it is so inconvinient...u c....everytime one has to browse through the pages.....atleast two
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 11:25 PM
  • I dont think our words will reach the Global MSDN admins. Cause they are the one who can change it.

But we can complain the local admins , may be they can forward our message to a higher level Smile
    Friday, May 11, 2007 6:17 AM
  • well for the timebeing, we can only pray.....so lets pray....;-)
    Sunday, May 13, 2007 5:38 PM
  • gud post.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 9:34 AM
  • Yet another bug guys!!

Try pressing the UP arrow when the cursor is inside the code-snippet window... The cursor willl not move up!!!

Also, the Enter key does not work sometimes inside the code-snippet...

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 1:39 PM
  • yeah man the code snippet thing is really buggy in FF,. i dont know how it is in IE never tried it in there Stick out tongue
    Tuesday, June 5, 2007 2:22 PM
  • Its sad to know that even after complaining lot of times, the Last Page link of any thread has not been rectified. I think the admins will wait for more and more bugs to be found out , they might have also solved it, but they may be waiting for a major upgrade to take place Stick out tongue
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007 6:28 PM
  • I've been Sarath's method for quite some time now... This method too is clumsy, but better than having to browser through pages and pages. I'll try to make it clearer here..
    Open the thread whose last post you want to see
    Open the 2nd page of the thread by clicking the link at the bottom
    The total number of pages is displayed near that link (as in 'Page 2 of 7'). Note that down.
    Go to the address bar of your browser and change the last number to (number_of_pages - 1)
    Go... Smile
    Monday, June 11, 2007 7:48 PM
  • If the thread size goes above 1 page, the link to the thread in the forum, where all threads are displayed, shows hyperlinks to all the pages at the lower right hand side.

We can use that to navigate to the last page directly.

e.g

VocabularyPower part 3
     by Raghuram_Duraisamy_ed4912 Page: 1, 2, 3, 4
    by Raghuram_Duraisa... 
    Today, 6:04 AM UTC
    54 281

Here the thread spans 4 pages and we can randomly access any page that we want or go to the last (4th) page directly.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 7:16 AM
  • @Arijit - We all know that it shows the number of pages, and that is for directly jumping into that page. But try clicking on it and see whether it takes you to that page or not  Stick out tongue It will take you to the first page only. And thats why we are calling it a bug.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 12:36 PM

All replies

• Yes, you are right ShadowMan. It really create s a problem if anyone of us want to go to the last page of the forums.

I think they should give a link to last page of Forums of particular category.

Sunday, February 25, 2007 5:09 AM
  • It should not be like that..
    Microsoft needs us to get all thing about the thread.
    we r entering into.
    So that they need us to read all the posts in that thread
    Thats why they were not providing such facilities

Am i correct
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 6:14 AM
  • @mathavan,
    what if i have read the entire thread, and i just want to view the last post ? do MS expect me to read all the posts again  100 times ? so thats not a good idea.
    they shoudl provice links ilke First, previous, Next and Last. People are free to select where they want to jump :)
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 10:33 AM
  • Yes m8, thats what i am saying :) The admins needs to get aware of this probl.
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 10:34 AM
  • U are right ShadowMan.. I am with u... because i am also facing such problem
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 11:13 AM
  • Thx for the support :)
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 11:29 AM
  • Yes it is a big bug
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 1:52 PM
  • Lets give the Bug a name "MS KEEDA"
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 3:52 PM
  • U can't say this is a bug but u can say this is a non user friendly design.
    as bug is defines as "bug is an error, flaw, mistake, failure, or fault in a computer program that prevents it from working correctly or produces an incorrect result."

still i can give u a way to goto last page of the forum

http://forums.microsoft.com/samvaad/showpost.aspx?pageindex=4&siteid=43&postid=1315158&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=1

http://forums.microsoft.com/samvaad/showpost.aspx?pageindex=4&siteid=43&postid=1315158&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=3

if u goto forum and goto second page then u will see some thing like above ignore all and see at the end u can find page id there enter ur required page no ur problem solved ♪♫.

Or give me some time i will add it by an user script of grease monkey. may be i shall see it after 15 of this month as exams are going on.

Monday, May 7, 2007 9:19 AM
  • ya even i feel it to be difficult with out such features in the forum...
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 3:33 PM
  • exactly it is so inconvinient...u c....everytime one has to browse through the pages.....atleast two
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 11:25 PM
  • I dont think our words will reach the Global MSDN admins. Cause they are the one who can change it.

But we can complain the local admins , may be they can forward our message to a higher level Smile
    Friday, May 11, 2007 6:17 AM
  • well for the timebeing, we can only pray.....so lets pray....;-)
    Sunday, May 13, 2007 5:38 PM
  • gud post.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 9:34 AM
  • Yet another bug guys!!

Try pressing the UP arrow when the cursor is inside the code-snippet window... The cursor willl not move up!!!

Also, the Enter key does not work sometimes inside the code-snippet...

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 1:39 PM
  • yeah man the code snippet thing is really buggy in FF,. i dont know how it is in IE never tried it in there Stick out tongue
    Tuesday, June 5, 2007 2:22 PM
  • Its sad to know that even after complaining lot of times, the Last Page link of any thread has not been rectified. I think the admins will wait for more and more bugs to be found out , they might have also solved it, but they may be waiting for a major upgrade to take place Stick out tongue
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007 6:28 PM
  • I've been Sarath's method for quite some time now... This method too is clumsy, but better than having to browser through pages and pages. I'll try to make it clearer here..
    The total number of pages is displayed near that link (as in 'Page 2 of 7'). Note that down.
    Go to the address bar of your browser and change the last number to (number_of_pages - 1)
    Go... Smile
    Monday, June 11, 2007 7:48 PM
  • If the thread size goes above 1 page, the link to the thread in the forum, where all threads are displayed, shows hyperlinks to all the pages at the lower right hand side.

We can use that to navigate to the last page directly.

e.g

VocabularyPower part 3
     by Raghuram_Duraisamy_ed4912 Page: 1, 2, 3, 4
    by Raghuram_Duraisa... 
    Today, 6:04 AM UTC
    54 281

Here the thread spans 4 pages and we can randomly access any page that we want or go to the last (4th) page directly.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 7:16 AM
  • @Arijit - We all know that it shows the number of pages, and that is for directly jumping into that page. But try clicking on it and see whether it takes you to that page or not  Stick out tongue It will take you to the first page only. And thats why we are calling it a bug.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 12:36 PM
  •  Sundara_Raman_ce680b wrote:
    I've been Sarath's method for quite some time now... This method too is clumsy, but better than having to browser through pages and pages. I'll try to make it clearer here..
    Go...

Thats what we are doing right now, we just append &pageid=number_pages -1 to the URL.
    No need to open the 2nd page even.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 12:38 PM