locked
Error "System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array" when publishing project in Project server 2007 RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have a PM who is unable to publish a project.  When I check the ULS logs I see the following error.  I am unable to locate any hits on this specific error.  I can't image we are the only company experiencing this issue.

    PWA:http://SERVERNAME/PWA, SSP:SharedServices1, User:FHD\OPID, PSI:   [QUEUE] System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.     at Microsoft.Office.Project.SvrDataEdit.SvrDataEditSRA.UpdateSummaryResourceAssignments(Guid docGuid, Guid rscGuid, SRATimephasedData sraTimePhasedData, Boolean fProjBeingDeleted)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.SvrDataEdit.SvrDataEditSRA.UpdateSummaryResourceAssignments(Guid docGuid, Guid rscGuid, Boolean fProjBeingDeleted)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.SvrDataEdit.SvrDataEditSRA.ExecuteUpdateSRA(Guid projectUID, Boolean fDelete)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Queue.ProcessPublishMessage.ProcessUpdateSRAMessage(Message msg, Group messageGroup, JobTicket jobTicket, MessageContext mContext)


    Frank Miranda Florida Hospital MIS
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 6:41 PM

Answers

All replies

  • Check the queue - the error suggests that the project is being deleted. Perhaps it was being deleted, hung and then you are trying to publish?
    Jack Dahlgren blogs at:
    Project and Retrovention
    and rarely Twitter
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 8:57 PM
  • No, that is not the case.  This is an active project.  I was just doing some more testing with the PM.  I also attempted to publish the project directly from Project Pro on the server with the same results.  It gets to 93% complete then generates that error in the ULS logs.  The Server queue error is a bit different.  The last successul publish was October of 2010, so this issue has been going on for some time however the PM just notified me.  She actually has two different projects with the same behaviour.

    "Error summary/areas:

    ProjectPublishFailure
    Queue
    GeneralQueueJobFailed
    Error details:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
    <errinfo>
      <general>
        <class name="">
          <error id="23000" name="ProjectPublishFailure" uid="5e6fb4a1-47ee-425a-834a-75578a26115c" projectuid="847d9a83-78f1-4882-824a-72b9240c0387" messagetype="Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.QueueMsg.UpdateSRAMessage" messageID="177" stage="" blocking="Block" />
        </class>
        <class name="Queue">
          <error id="26000" name="GeneralQueueJobFailed" uid="9c585907-a7ca-4593-b86a-8b4960f7b99d" JobUID="63e93dbd-b9b3-49e1-a1af-3b41abb5a9cb" ComputerName="COMPUTERNAME" GroupType="ProjectPublish" MessageType="UpdateSRAMessage" MessageId="177" Stage="" />
        </class>
      </general>
    </errinfo>


    Frank Miranda Florida Hospital MIS
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 9:12 PM
  • Frank:

    If your system is current with patches, this sounds like file corruption. You can save the project to and XML file, delte the version on the server and reimport the schedule. This should fix it. If you are using timesheets, this breaks the association with the timehseet records.


    Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 3:20 PM
  • Would saving the file as an MPP locally and running through and import after deleting the orginal from the server help?  Is the only way to do it is using the xml file format?

    We do use timesheets, I will check with the the PM if any actualls have been posted.  If they do have resources with actualls is there a procedure to reassociate the timesheets?


    Frank Miranda Florida Hospital MIS
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Saving as mpp file will prserve the corruption if that's the cause. The problem is in the binary representation of the project.

    You could adapt the instructions here, which were written for 2003, so they need some updating. I haven't tried this with 2010, so try it in dev or test first:

    http://www.projectserverexperts.com/ProjectServerFAQKnowledgeBase/BinaryRebuild.aspx

    Theoretically, you can reassociate the timesheet records by updating the Project GUIDs in the database for the affected timesheets, but will require some SQL skills and a very good understanding of the published database.


    Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 4:27 PM
  • Thank you, I'll take a look at that process and see how it needs to be modified to apply to 2007.


    Frank Miranda Florida Hospital MIS
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 5:55 PM
  • Strangely enough exporting the project to XML didn't work.  I was able to export it but everytime I would try to import it i'd get the error: "an unexpected problem occuredwhile opening the file. the file may be damaged. try using a backup copy"

    After doing some research on that error and not finding a working solution i decided to export it as and excel workbook.  That worked, I was able to export the project then import the workbook, all of the actuals where there and I was able to successfully save and publish the project.

    I had the PM replicate the steps and it worked for her as well.


    Frank Miranda Florida Hospital MIS
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 7:27 PM