WHS backup and junctions RRS feed

• Question

• I use a junction point to point to one folder in a sequence of folders on the D-volume of one of my systems.
    My backup to WHS for this system is for the C- and D-volume.
    When opening the C-volume of the backup in a system, I get one volume (R) with the C-image.
    When I open the D-volume I get a lot of volumes (R, S, T and so on)  with the D-image;
    besides that I get lots of other messages (new software installed, request to restart...)

Why comes WHS in a loop? Does WHS follow the junction in stead of disregarding it?

greetings, Peter J. Veger (Best, Netherlands)
    (WHS PP2, Vista Ultimate SP2)
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 9:42 PM

Answers

• I use a junction point to point to one folder in a sequence of folders on the D-volume of one of my systems.
    My backup to WHS for this system is for the C- and D-volume.
    When opening the C-volume of the backup in a system, I get one volume (R) with the C-image.
    When I open the D-volume I get a lot of volumes (R, S, T and so on)  with the D-image;
    besides that I get lots of other messages (new software installed, request to restart...)

Why comes WHS in a loop? Does WHS follow the junction in stead of disregarding it?

greetings, Peter J. Veger (Best, Netherlands)
    (WHS PP2, Vista Ultimate SP2)
    The actual junction point should be backed up just like everything else.  Note however that WHS will not back up the data on the other volumes through the junction point (it sees the junction point as just another file), so you would also need to backup the other volumes that are linked to by the junction point.  As for what you mean by "WHS in a loop", I don't really understand.  Can you please clarify?
    • Marked as answer by Peter J. Veger Monday, November 16, 2009 8:54 AM
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 11:09 PM