Issue with Media Library within Remote Web Access RRS feed

• Question

• I have my WHS set up and running well.  I can access media through the network tab of Windows Explorer like I should.  However, when i use Remote Web Access, i'm running in to a problem.  It shows that my media library is there (3500+ pictutes show up, same for audio and video complete with a thumbnail on each of the three folders).  When i go to click on either pictures, audio, or video, i get an error that says An Error has Occured on the server, try again later.  I've tried everything I know...any help?

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:42 AM

All replies

• I've just come on to log the same issue, so apologies if you thought this was a solution.

The only difference is that I get the error message on the home page in the Media Library panel.

Also can no longer access any of my computers remotely, it comes up with a message saying "Your computer can't connect to the remote computer because the cookie was rejected by the Remote Desktop Gateway Server.  Contact your network administrator for assistance.

I factory reset my router the other day, as I was constantly getting alerts saying that it wasn't configured properly (although I had remote access just fine).  Now I no longer get the alerts, but I can't access the media library or remote desktop.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 8:19 AM
  • It sounds as though you're experiencing similar issues to those that I reported a few days ago:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whs2011/thread/5e54b610-9b39-4ad3-9a72-5166a56ed0f3

Thus far, no one has made any helpful suggestions, perhaps you will have better luck.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:48 PM
  • I am having similar problems as well though they don't always occur.  I can't play music full stop though in either IE9 or Chrome and just get a black pop up window that doesn't do much.  Any ideas?

Pictures sort of works sometimes but gets stuck on loading images and the doesn't seem to want to play ball anymore.

Overall remote access seems a bit sluggish.

I have a reasonable bandwidth 5Mbits up so its not that limits it.  The server is an HP Microserver which isn't necessarily the quickest box but should be capable of hosting a website reasonably well. 

I have noticed that WMPlayer and the WMP Network service do seem to take quite a lot of processing power up, when remote access is running.  I am not sharing media otherwise on the network at home.  Why does it insist on doing a refresh of the media library each time it seems, not sure what it is doing but initially it will say list 2000 music items then eventually get to the right amount.  If you refresh the page though it reloads the media library.

Thursday, June 9, 2011 12:28 PM
  • Not only that, there are permission issues. This media library has a flaw that need to be fixed by MS. When you click Browse Pictures link, it shows pictures from different folders as well as the Pictures folder? Should it be showing pictures within the Pictures folder only?

Why are users, with ACCESS DENIED to the pictures folder, able to browse the pictures from the Media Library? That does not make sense.

Thursday, July 7, 2011 11:45 PM
  • When you click Browse Pictures link, it shows pictures from different folders as well as the Pictures folder? Should it be showing pictures within the Pictures folder only?

I *think* that this is an MS quirk, since things like Media Center have the same flawed logic.  If I've got a JPG in a music folder, that puts in an appearance in my pictures.  Technically I think that's how the media indexing works.  Realistically, I don't think it should work like that.

For now I've pretty much given up on remote access to my media, or remote desktop to network machines - it just isn't working.  Hoping that an update or technique arises to clean this mess up.

Friday, July 8, 2011 8:22 AM
  • On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 23:45:54 +0000, Chlo? wrote:

Why are users, with ACCESS DENIED to the pictures folder, able to browse the pictures from the Media Library? That does not make sense.

As has been explained in other threads, this is not a Microsoft issue but
    rather an issue with the DLNA specifications. If Microsoft, or any other
    company for that matter, wants to produce and sell DLNA certified products,
    they need to meet the DLNA specifications and requirements. What you're
    seeing with regards to permissions, or the lack thereof, is a direct result
    of the DLNA certification.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    I bet the human brain is a kludge.  -- Marvin Minsky

Friday, July 8, 2011 9:39 AM
  • Hi there!

I am running a Home Server 2011 on my brand new Acer AC100. The WHS works fine, but there is a small problem. The Server does not show the music which i have put in a custom share. Videos are also in an own custom created share but there is no issue, the videos appear within remote web access. i tried to rebuild the index as described here (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/whsvailbeta/thread/acf30d3b-c3e3-4880-af0e-d2d6c6ab2f53) but no success. The only thing which was reindexed is the video share. the share is enabled for streaming (server settings ---> media library settings). When I try to access the music from my LAN via Windows Media Player its the same like over the web interface.

has anyone an idea how to solve this problem?

Thanks!

Sunday, January 1, 2012 9:40 PM