Error after upgrading to UR12: Attribute objecttypecode on Entity PrincipalObjectAccessReadSnapshot is of type picklist RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I upgraded my dev server to CRM 2011 UR12 this morning from the download files that were (finally) released.  Version number is showing as 5.0.9690.3236. I am sorry to report that I have some immediate issues.

I have 2 organizations on my dev server that were working fine on UR11.  The first one is effectively a default blank install, the other is a copy/replica of our live organization.

On UR12 the blank org seems to work fine, however on the copy of our live org clicking any View (standard or custom entity) results in the following unhandled exception. I've tried publishing all changes, no difference.

Exception information: 
        Exception type: CrmException 
        Exception message: Attribute objecttypecode on Entity PrincipalObjectAccessReadSnapshot is of type picklist but has Child Attributes Count 0
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Platform.ServiceCommands.PlatformCommand.XrmExecuteInternal()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Platform.ServiceCommands.RetrieveMultipleCommand.Execute()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Controls.DashboardSelector.RetrieveDashboard(String logicalName, String[] columns)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Controls.DashboardSelector.AddUserDashboard()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Components.UI.CrmUIControlBase.OnInit(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

This page http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg328086.aspx indicates that 'principalobjectaccessreadsnapshot' is for internal use so I'm a bit stuck on how to resolve this.  If the exception message is to be believed is it correct that 'objecttypecode' is a 'picklist' datatype, shouldn't it be an integer?

Thanks for any assistance,

Alex

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 10:31 AM

Answers

• Solved!

this was a crazy case:

It seems that sometime when we ran the SQL database tuning administrator - it created some views on 'Full Name' that were later not removed  (although the dta was supposed to) those viewes locked the column 'FullName' and therefore the UR12 failed to install!

I deleted those views and re-applied the UR - an everything works fine. One of those one-in-a-million cases i guess :|

Hope this will help you - check the log you get from trying to update the DB from the deployment administrator

Michael.

• Proposed as answer by Tzooki Thursday, January 31, 2013 1:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Alexander Marshall Monday, February 4, 2013 10:29 AM
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 1:25 PM

All replies

• I installed the rollup on our test server and everything was fine.

2 hours ago i installed it on our production environment and i'm having the same issue you mentioned - and it is the same database as the test server.

I really don't want to bring a backup - anyone has any idea wha't the problem here??

Thanks

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 9:17 PM
  • Glad to hear that someone else has the same issue, although disappointed that there is no Microsoft recommended fix.

I've had a look in the trace logs, however there are not any obvious clues to investigate further.  Strangely clicking 'Activity Feeds' in Chrome shows the message "While your organization is being updated, you can only view Activity Feeds in Internet Explorer. After the latest Activity Feeds solution is installed, it will work in all supported browsers.".  In IE I get a popup saying "Access is denied."

Are there any significant database changes/updates between UR11 and UR12? Perhaps something has failed to upgrade, leaving the organization in semi-upgraded state?

Thursday, January 31, 2013 11:12 AM
  • I am now with microsoft support on this

it seems in my case that the CRM server itself was updated but the database itself - in the deployment manager remained in UR11 - when trying to update it manually i get an SQL error.

It seems now that there are unsupported views in the system - but it seems weird to me as we didn't do any views... i'll update when i'll have some more news.

Check your deployment manager to see if the database is up to date.

Thursday, January 31, 2013 11:51 AM
  • Solved!

this was a crazy case:

It seems that sometime when we ran the SQL database tuning administrator - it created some views on 'Full Name' that were later not removed  (although the dta was supposed to) those viewes locked the column 'FullName' and therefore the UR12 failed to install!

I deleted those views and re-applied the UR - an everything works fine. One of those one-in-a-million cases i guess :|

Hope this will help you - check the log you get from trying to update the DB from the deployment administrator

Michael.

• Proposed as answer by Tzooki Thursday, January 31, 2013 1:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Alexander Marshall Monday, February 4, 2013 10:29 AM
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 1:25 PM
  • Ah, thanks for the advice.  I have checked Deployment Manager and it seems that my problematic organization is still stuck at UR11 (5.0.9690.2839) and it fails to update to UR12  (5.0.9690.3236) due to a duplicate key issue.  I haven't had much time to probe any further, but at least I now know where the issue is.

Strange that no errors were reported during the UR12 installation and that CRM doesn't report any errors with the org DB version being mismatched!

Thursday, January 31, 2013 2:12 PM
  • I thought so to - but it actually does say that - when you install the rollup it says that the installation was successful however some databases were not upgraded - i didn't notice that at the beginning because i'm used to how the confirmation screen looks like - i only noticed it after a few times trying to reinstall (:
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 3:41 PM
  • Hi,

I faced the same issue. Luckily, I got through with it by installing the UR 11 again i.e. on top of UR 12 updated CRM instance. It saved all the efforts.

Thanks,

Sidharth

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:39 AM
  • Dear, we areMigratingCRM4.0 toCRM 2011andwhen we dothe upgrade fromCRM4.0 toCRM 2011withrollupin a11, thedatabasewas updatednormally, butthen applythe rollup13 in thetestingenvironmentand onlystopped workingthis organizationpresentingthe following error:

Errorafter upgrading toUR13:AttributeonEntityPrincipalObjectAccessReadSnapshotObjectTypeCodeisof typepicklistbuthasChildAttributesCount0.

What iswhat you shoulddo in this case?.

Howhave solvedthis error?

Kind Regards,

Leonardo.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:02 PM