WHS 120 day eval copy - upgrade to OEM full version RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

My 120 eval period has ended (whilst away on holiday). I have bought the full OEM version with the view to upgrade. My question is, I had installed a number of 'add-ins' and visual studio 2005 and developed a couple of websites, which the only copies of are on the WHS, which I cant now get access to. When I upgrade will I loose those sites that I had developed?

Thanks

John

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 12:20 PM

Answers

•  accyjohn wrote:

Hi

Thanks for that, I did save the sites on directories in my 'shares'. Do I still need to remove the drives as you suggest, or will the shares still exist after upgrade?

Thanks

Yes, that is if you do "server reinstall". If you do clean install with all disk connected data will be lost.

If you saved data in shares, and your server still boots you will probably also have be able to access your shares (I don't know behaviour of trial version after expiration, sometimes system with expired license will still boot and stay up for a few hours, even though you can't logon to it):

Boot up WHS, on client in explorer window adress bar do \\yourservername. This should allow you to access the shares.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 12:53 PM

All replies

• Depends on where you stored them. If you stored them on C or D partition you will lose them if you upgrade If you stored (a copy) in WHS shares they should normally be preserved when you do server reinstall.

There is a simple way to access your data:

Take the disk(s) out of your WHS and mount as secondary disk in another PC. You should now be able to access your data. If you stored the websites in WHS shares look for a hidden directory "DE" on the D partition of the primary (sys) drive and / or in the root of the data disks.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 12:34 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for that, I did save the sites on directories in my 'shares'. Do I still need to remove the drives as you suggest, or will the shares still exist after upgrade?

Thanks

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 12:45 PM
  •  accyjohn wrote:

Hi

Thanks

Yes, that is if you do "server reinstall". If you do clean install with all disk connected data will be lost.

If you saved data in shares, and your server still boots you will probably also have be able to access your shares (I don't know behaviour of trial version after expiration, sometimes system with expired license will still boot and stay up for a few hours, even though you can't logon to it):

Boot up WHS, on client in explorer window adress bar do \\yourservername. This should allow you to access the shares.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 12:53 PM
  • Windows Home Server will reboot approximately every two hours. It's not a soft boot, either; the OS simply triggers a restart.

As long as everything that matters (software you can reinstall doesn't count Smile) is in a location other than C:\<something> on your server, or at least there's a copy somewhere else, you should be okay with a server reinstallation.
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 2:59 PM