none
Trouble using the WBF RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently developing a client application that uses the WBF to capture fingerprint data for authentication. I'm using a custom authentication scheme so I need to use a biometric unit assigned to a private sensor pool to accomplish this; the msdn documentation seems to indicate that a client application can create a private sensor pool and any biometric unit can be assigned to it. However there doesn't appear to be any information as to how a private sensor pool can be created. When I run WinBioEnumBiometricUnits a single biometric unit is returned with the pool type assigned to the system pool but I would like to change the pool type to private pool.

When I call the WinBioOpenSession function with pool type set to WINBIO_POOL_PRIVATE I get a WINBIO_E_CONFIGURATION_FAILURE error (described as "biometric unit could not be configured). Aside from that there is no documentation on the cause of this error. This error doesn't even appear as one of the possible errors in the msdn documentation for WinBioOpenSession (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd401634(v=VS.85).aspx). I assume I'm getting this error because my new session is trying to configure a biometric unit assigned to the system pool for a private pool call. 

If the WinBioOpenSession function is supposed to automatically assign the given biometric unit there appears to be an error in that function. Otherewise, if there is a way to assign a biometric unit to a private pool I'd really like to know how to do so. I've done a rigorous web search and come across nothing useful, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

• Moved by lucy-liu Monday, June 20, 2011 8:50 AM it is not related c++ (From:Visual C++ General)
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 1:30 AM

All replies

• Hi JEricM,

In Visual C++ General Forum, we discuss general questions about Visual C++ , including the development environment, libraries, setup, debugger, samples, and documentation. For your future concerns, I recommend you post your question to a more appropriate Forum.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Lucy

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 7:49 AM