no proper startup without vga RRS feed

• Question

•  hello everyone,

For me a problem,maybe for you  simple to declare..

I've running whs on a mini itx perfect.
    But now i want to hide the pc, without a vga screen, it fails..
    I can hear him startup, but i cannot connect it by rdp or ping it.
    After a few tries, it remains in this position..
    When i connect a vga screen it stays black even when hitting ctr/alt/del.
    It starts up fine with a vga connected, and  if the screen is disconnected afterwards is still works fine.
    Now ive noticed in the forum that it should workd/start up without vga, whta could be my prblem then.
    I use the via epia 18000 with on board vga.
    If i look into the vents, the only problem i see reguraly, is a "schannel error" But this one i see also when it strup with screen..
    Hope someone can help me.

reg. michael  
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 4:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Michael,
    did you install any 3rd party software on the server?
    Special drivers for that video card?
    Maybe one of those is blocking WHS from starting if used without attached monitor.

Schannel error messages usually point to errors with certificates. The more detailed error message would be welcome, since there are more than one possible errors with those.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, September 25, 2008 7:16 PM

All replies

• Hi Michael,
    did you install any 3rd party software on the server?
    Special drivers for that video card?
    Maybe one of those is blocking WHS from starting if used without attached monitor.

Schannel error messages usually point to errors with certificates. The more detailed error message would be welcome, since there are more than one possible errors with those.
    Olaf

Thursday, September 25, 2008 7:16 PM
  • I've had a couple boards that would freak out on not finding a display until I went in the BIOS and changed the "Halt On" section to Nothing/No Errors, not recently but I had a Shuttle system like that in the past that I wanted to run as a headless Linux server.
    Friday, September 26, 2008 12:25 AM
  • Since the OP did hear the system starting up, I would not think about an Bios issue at first time. But maybe, your setting and/or applying the latest Bios for the mainboard may help.
    (I have a similar issue with my Vista PC, if my display, which is connected via DVI port, is powered off, it will not be initialized later by the already running OS. But at least the system is still accessible via Remotedesktop.)
    Olaf
    Friday, September 26, 2008 8:00 AM
  • Hello olaf,

Thanks for replying..

third party software what is installed is; 3CX ip telephone software, and some software for dial in purposes.
    I need to make some modem connections to security systems. Also sonos software, it is for the sonos music system.
    there is no info from the schannel message, except : " the error returned from the cryptographic module is 0x80090016". I've also  aW32time warning, because none of the time server providers  couldt give a usable time stamp. this message is every now and then, so i dont look at it. 
    The system is starting up , but i can't see at wich point it stops..
    it is anyway before the server gets his ip adress.
    It far beyond the post messages from the bios, i wil try to find more info.about this.
    there are no special drivers for my video card just the one from VIA.
    thanks for your support.
    reg.
    michael
    Friday, September 26, 2008 4:27 PM
  •  
    mvd300 said:
    there are no special drivers for my video card just the one from VIA.

these are already "special".
    What about trying the built in Standard VGA instead?

Olaf
    Friday, September 26, 2008 6:58 PM
  • Hello olaf,

some misunderstanding, i use the on board. no need for a seperat one..
    i'll try to take off some software one by one and see what happens then
    thanks.
    reg.
    michael
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 6:31 AM
  • Hi Michael,
    misunderstanding indeed - I mean the built in Standard VGA drivers in Windows Server 2003.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 6:54 AM