CRM 4.0 Update Rollup Deployment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

The CRM system was implemented by another vendor back in 2009. Patched to UR6. The Customer is not comfortable applying UR19 or latest without testing.

I am treating the CRM system as "fresh installation" after migrating to new domain. (Background story for those interested: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/crmdeployment/thread/be6886c0-1e75-4494-87cc-d2c0646681a2) Direct patch UR6 to CRM RTM version.

With regards to UR6, I understand that I have to enable/configure the hotfixes/updates manually. How about those documented for previous UR? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970148

I find the instructions rather confusing.  

The following Knowledge Base articles contain hotfixes and updates that you must enable or configure manually and that are included in Update Rollup 5:

The following Knowledge Base articles contain hotfixes and updates that you must enable or configure manually and that are included in Update Rollup 4

The following Knowledge Base articles contain hotfixes and updates that you must enable or configure manually and that are included in Update Rollup 3.  

Note If you previously installed Update Rollup 2, and if you manually enabled these hotfixes and updates, you do not have to manually enable them after you apply Update Rollup 3. 

Note If you previously installed Update Rollup 1, and if you manually enabled these hotfixes and updates, you do not have to manually enable them after you apply Update Rollup 3. 

For future reference, once the Customer decides to apply UR19, do I have to manually enable the hotfixes/updates from UR7 to UR19? The CRM system is currently on UR6.

• Edited by Daniel.Tan Thursday, October 20, 2011 3:36 AM
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 3:35 AM

Answers

• Each Update Rollup contains the fixes from all earlier rollups. So on your RTM machine you can directly apply UR19 without going through the intermediate Update Rollups. (However, for the Outlook client UR7 is required as a new baseline for future rollups).

Each UR includes fixes that are applied automatically and some that have to be manually enabled. For the manually enabled ones, you should review what the fix is doing and decide if it is relevant to you. It is by no means a given, that you should enable all manaully enabled hotfixes.

My interpretation of the above instructions is that if you apply, for example, UR12 and enable the manually enabled hotfixes and then apply UR14 you do not need to re-enable the fixes in UR12. You will of course, need to enable, if appropriate, any new manual fixes that were deployed in UR 13 and UR14.

In your case, if your system is at UR6 and then you apply UR19 you will need to review and decide whether to enable any of the manually enabled fixes that are included in UR7 to UR19.

I hope this explanation made sense!

• Marked as answer by Daniel.Tan Thursday, October 20, 2011 10:17 AM
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:35 AM
  • My understanding is that you still need to create the registry settings and manually enable the fix. I believe that the reasoning by Microsoft for these fixes is that they cannot/do not want to assume that a customer wants to use the fix so it is optional.

Applying a later Update Rollup does not change this.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 9:44 AM

All replies

• Each Update Rollup contains the fixes from all earlier rollups. So on your RTM machine you can directly apply UR19 without going through the intermediate Update Rollups. (However, for the Outlook client UR7 is required as a new baseline for future rollups).

Each UR includes fixes that are applied automatically and some that have to be manually enabled. For the manually enabled ones, you should review what the fix is doing and decide if it is relevant to you. It is by no means a given, that you should enable all manaully enabled hotfixes.

My interpretation of the above instructions is that if you apply, for example, UR12 and enable the manually enabled hotfixes and then apply UR14 you do not need to re-enable the fixes in UR12. You will of course, need to enable, if appropriate, any new manual fixes that were deployed in UR 13 and UR14.

In your case, if your system is at UR6 and then you apply UR19 you will need to review and decide whether to enable any of the manually enabled fixes that are included in UR7 to UR19.

I hope this explanation made sense!

Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:35 AM
  • Thank you for your reply!

I understand that UR is a cumulative update which contains the fixes/updates from earlier rollups.

In your given example, the reason why we do not need to re-enable the fixes is because the registry setting is already in-placed/created previously. 

Let's say, we're looking at a direct patch from RTM to UR19 in a fresh installation. 

To fix the issue "The AsyncOperationBase and WorkflowLogBase tables grow very large and performance issues occur when you use many workflows in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0"  which was released in UR3, it's still required to created the "AsyncRemoveCompletedWorkflows" registry settings as per documented in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968755?

Is that correct? And it was wishful thinking on my part, these hotfixes/updates are "enabled" by default in UR19 or latest without creating new registry settings? The manually enabled ones still require to be enabled manually.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:02 AM
  • My understanding is that you still need to create the registry settings and manually enable the fix. I believe that the reasoning by Microsoft for these fixes is that they cannot/do not want to assume that a customer wants to use the fix so it is optional.

Applying a later Update Rollup does not change this.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 9:44 AM
  • You've been a great help. Thank you!
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 10:18 AM