none
Did anybody try to load a compiled kernel from WRK package? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Did anybody tried to load the kernel compiled from WRK package.

I compiled it and tried to load by adding a entry in the boot.ini.
    Unfortunately system is not coming up when i select boot option of compiled kernel from WRK.

NOTE --> I have not done any changes in WRK, sources are same as they are present in the package.

Can any one guide if there are some extra settings that need to be done to get it working?

Cheers
    Deepak
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 3:24 PM

All replies

• Please note I am using Windows XP SP2 as target.

And I am using the already present HAL present in system32 folder which is basically a multiprocessor HAL.

Although I have a suspicion becoz of which my boot is not working, please see below.

As my kernel name is wrkx86.exe and all other drivers are linked against ntoskrnl.exe, dynamic loader (Ntldr) might not be able to dynamically link other boot time drivers.

Or does ntldr uses the name present in EXPORT entry of wrkx86.exe which is basically ntoskrnl.exe.

Can anybody over here verify?

Cheers
    Deepak
    Friday, November 7, 2008 12:27 PM
  • WRK is that of Windows 2003 Server SP1. It is intended to run as a virtual machine under Virtual PC in conjunction with W2K3S SP1 image supplied with WRK. The procedure is, you start W2K3S VM in Virtual PC, copy your compiled wrkx86.exe to System32 directory, and restart the VM. It's all in the WRK documentation, actually.

Thanks,

Serge

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 3:20 AM
  • Ok that means it will run with the image that has been supplied and can't run if I create a fresh VM Image by installing fresh 2003 SP1 on Virtual PC?

Does it have something to do with dynamical linking of loading drivers against the kernel image?

Cheers
    Deepak
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 6:52 AM
  • The provided Virtual PC image makes life a lot easier when start working with the WRK. You may however

install a fresh W2K3 SP 1 on a Virtual PC image or even on a physical machine. But you have to provide the right HAL.dll and must properly configure boot.ini.

For testing and debugging purposes I recommend using a virtual machine, as this makes debugging a lot easier. BTW: You may use alternative VM vendors if you want to. 

Regarding your Windows XP question, the WRK is identical to Windows XP x64 SP1. So you may try building the amd64 version of the WRK and install a Windows XP x64 in a virtual machine. Please let me know if this works.

Friday, December 12, 2008 3:18 PM
  • Hey thanks Alex.

I tried it out with W2K3 SP1.
    It is working. THanks a lot for your inputs.
    I am using VMWare Workstation to run it not Virtual PC.

One more thing, I didn't try XP64bit.
    If any one have tried it out, let us all know.

This forum seems to be very slow.
    Is there any place where discussions happen on daily basis on ProjectOZ and WRK.

Regards
    Deepak
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 12:06 PM