Magic Jack RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone tried installing the Magic Jack usb phone on their WHS yet?  I just got one to test out for the 30day free trial and was wondering if it would work so I don't have to keep another computer running all the time.

Michael 
    Friday, September 19, 2008 7:09 PM

Answers

• I went ahead and tried it since, afterall, we are testing things,  It installed fine. The Security settings in IE needed to be changed to allow scripts or prompt.  But it has been up and running now for almost a week.  I have had no problems at all.

Michael
    Friday, September 26, 2008 12:51 AM

All replies

• HI,

nice idea, not sure if the software will automatically install itself but I will sure ask Magic Jack if they could do an add-in for WHS.

Daniel
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 1:01 AM
  • I went ahead and tried it since, afterall, we are testing things,  It installed fine. The Security settings in IE needed to be changed to allow scripts or prompt.  But it has been up and running now for almost a week.  I have had no problems at all.

Michael
    Friday, September 26, 2008 12:51 AM
  • Hi Guys,
    I do not have any Magic Jack (not yet at least) wondering if you would recommend it? Is there any lag when you pick up the phone and dial? What type of phone (cordless, base station) do you guys have and where is it located in relation to your WHS? How is the software, voicemail and caller id?

Saturday, September 27, 2008 3:00 AM
  • Well,  I have had it for 2 weeks now.  Here is my assessment so far.  I do have it on the WHS and is working fine.  I also have Vonage and am forwarding all calls from Vonage to my new Magic Jack phone number so I can test it thoroughly.   I have a VTECH phone system that has a base station and 4 wireless handsets.  I have the Base system connected to the MJ which is connected to my WHS in my computer room. 

The caller ID number only.  I am not sure if this is due to me forwarding calls from Vonage or not, but it does work.

Voicemail is your basic voicemail. It emails me when I have  voicemail which I like. 

Software was simple easy didn't require anything from me.  I don't use to dial or anything which is possible.

You do have to dial the area code with every call. 

The issues I have experienced with the service so far are:

1.  On some calls there seems to be a half second to a second delay in speaking and hearing a response from the other end.  I have to do some more testing but I am attributing this to the calls being forwarded through vonage. 

2.  Maybe 1 call during the week for some reason when I dialed the number it did not work so I just hung up and dialed it again and it worked fine.

3. There have been 3 or 4 calls over the last 2 weeks that we got the Chopping effect Digital calls make when the packets get lost in transit.  We had to hang up and then call again which cleared it up.  I got those issues with Vonage also.  We have not had any of those calls since I moved the MJ to the WHS.  I had it on my Main computer before and calls were working fine even when I was playing Everquest 2. 

At this point, I am almost ready to commit to it and get rid of Vonage, I don't like the fact that I can't keep my same phone number yet.  MJ states that that will be a possibility in the future though.  I have another week or so of free trial, baring any major issues, I will stick with MJ. You just can't beet $20 a year phone bill.

Hope this gives you more info and what you were looking for.

Michael
    Monday, September 29, 2008 4:19 PM
  • Thank you Michael that is some very good information; I appreciate it.
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 7:07 PM