How can I get driving directions in Streets and Trips to give me the REAL shortest route. RRS feed

• Question

• I entered a trip from Bandon, Oregon to Crater Lake National Park in Oregon.  The first time I did it, I was routed through Crescent City, CA, for a total trip time of more than seven hours.  The second time I did it (with a more specific address for the starting point), it routed me through Eugene, for a total distance of 279 miles (5 hours, 28 minutes).  That's contrary to what Mapquest, Google Maps, and common sense would suggest.  Using common sense I added Roseburg, OR as a 'via,' and it cut the distance to 177.5 miles, taking 100 miles and 90 minutes off of the trip.  How can I get Streets and Trips to give me the shortest trip WITHOUT my intervention?
    Monday, June 24, 2013 1:15 PM

All replies

• Have you checked your road speeds and road preferences? These can lead to some odd behavior. Also check if you are using "find shortest" or "find "quickest" or "use road preferences" - this is set on the road segment options dialog box (yes it can be changed on a segment by segment basis, although I'm not sure why you'd want to do that).

Richard Marsden
    MapPoint Add-ins at Mapping-Tools.com

Monday, June 24, 2013 1:46 PM
  • Thanks.  I tried the road speeds and preferences, but that didn't change anything.  I even set the road preferences to 'dislike' for interstates, because the Eugene (long) route took me to I-5 for about 25 miles.  It still sent me the long way.  I have MapPoint on another computer, and it seems to like Eugene too.
    Monday, June 24, 2013 3:13 PM