REVALIDATING VALIDATED SOFTWARE, WHY AND HOW AND HOW MANY TIMES? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I rang a well-known distributor of software in Sydney, Australia and had delivered by motor cycle a set of Microsoft Office software for which I paid by credit card the sum of $850.  I think that was in 2004 or thereabouts. My operating system was already licensed, and I installed the new Office software via Internet.  After discovering that it could be installed on a laptop, as instructed I rang Singapore and gave details and used the software on the laptop until the laptop was subsequently stolen.  I still have the original packet with the serial number, and although the number was in part not very clearly printed, I have been able to make it out whenever the need arose and I believe it is the number I originally successfully installed. 

Now Microsoft is telling me that I can't validate the software.  I have to say that no matter what a topic is, simple or complex, I have consistently found that Microsoft instructions and explanations are very poorly written, often lead to dead ends and not at all very helpful.  I spent hours on trying to satisfy Microsoft's demands, once staying up until past 4 am when I could no longer keep my eyes open, in a quest for a grail that I know does not exist.  I know the scale of software piracy in China, but to alienate good long-term customers because of it or something like it is lunacy, the lunacy of a dictator rather than a rational quasi-monopolist.  I have work to do and even though I have on my desk a purchased copy of Office 2007, I haven't got time at the moment to learn the ins and outs of the new Word software.  Yet Microsoft won't let me install an updating device for 2007 files that my students now send me.  How about some kind of 80-20 rule? After all I still have the original packet with the serial number, and as far as I know, it has never been in anyone else's hands.  TDhis should be covered by the Trades Act no doubt, but I have no time for that.  I'm too busy avoiding Windows Live intrusive this and Messenger that, things that once tried never go away.

Microsoft should have done something about Chinese piracy a long time ago, but the tactics in China will be sure to efffectively wipe out that market in favour of open source software.  I chose universal applicability, but if users are pushed too far, just as with the Google phenomenon then other word processing standards will emerge.  Really I don't have time for this bullying nonsense.  I wonder whether users will start to format their own documents on receipt using whatever. I feel sorry for Microsoft employers, but this kind of capitalism acts against its own interests.  Why doesn't Microsoft take user difficulties seriously?  Other large companies, the ones that continue to succeed, that is, do so.

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Saturday, August 22, 2009 1:55 PM Moved to Comments category (From:Windows XP Genuine Advantage Validation Issues (Windows XP))
    Friday, August 21, 2009 11:24 PM