Can Quote IDs and Order IDs be customized and calculated? RRS feed

• Question

• The Quote ID and Order ID is readonly and generated by the system.  We have established formats for Quote and Sales Order numbers for our business.  Before adopting CRM, we need to know if we can customize the system to generate Quote and Sales Order numbers to match our format.

Quote Number Format = CCCCCCYYMM where CCCCCC = customer id, YY = year, MM = month

Sales Order Format = SSYYMMXXXX where SS = Sales Rep ID, YY = year, MM = month, XXXX = increasing serial number reset to 0000 each month.

Can this be done "out-of-the-box" or by writing some code via the SDK?

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:21 AM

Answers

• Provided you take complete responsibility for the creation/formatting of the Quote Number (as you will be), then yes; it is possible to generate your own Quote Numbers.

You could do this with a pre-'Create'-event plugin.  At that stage, the Quote Number will not have been generated; if you supply your own, you can circumvent the built-in Quote Number generation.

Once a Quote Number has been assigned (and the Quote created), the Quote Number cannot be changed.  The attribute is valid for Create, but not for Update.

All above applies equally to Sales Orders.

--pogo (pat)
    • Proposed as answer by den_mark_98 Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by ActionTC Thursday, April 14, 2011 5:13 PM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:21 PM

All replies

• Provided you take complete responsibility for the creation/formatting of the Quote Number (as you will be), then yes; it is possible to generate your own Quote Numbers.

You could do this with a pre-'Create'-event plugin.  At that stage, the Quote Number will not have been generated; if you supply your own, you can circumvent the built-in Quote Number generation.

Once a Quote Number has been assigned (and the Quote created), the Quote Number cannot be changed.  The attribute is valid for Create, but not for Update.

All above applies equally to Sales Orders.

--pogo (pat)
    • Proposed as answer by den_mark_98 Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by ActionTC Thursday, April 14, 2011 5:13 PM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:21 PM
  • One quick caveat on uniqueness.

The Quote Number (and Order equivalent) must be unique.  If you attempt to assign a Quote Number that has already been used, the CRM will revert to its built-in Quote Number generation mechanism and a Quote Number will be automatically generated and assigned.

So, the responsibility to ensure uniqueness will also be yours.

--pogo (pat)
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:24 PM
  • Thanks for the response Pogo.  I am just learning about Dynamics CRM and the parts and pieces of it.  I assume the plugin you are referring to will be some chuck of code written that will generate the custom numbers as I have spec'ed.  So, I'll have to learn how plugins work in CRM and how to create this plugin.  The question that follows is how will such a plugin be incorporated into the Online version of CRM?  Is this something I will have to workout with a provider (MS or Partner), or is there a facility to install my own plugins into a hosted environment?

Thursday, April 14, 2011 12:39 AM
  • You're in luck with CRM 2011 Online.  You can now upload plugins into a CRM Online organisation as they run in a "sandboxed" environment.  This provides a layer of insulation around the plugin such that it cannot interfere with other organisations installed in the same deployment.  Prior to CRM 2011 this was not possible.

With partnered hosting, it is up to the provider.  We have negotiated with a host on behalf of a client to have plugins installed in a CRM 4.0 deployment, but they are often reluctant to do so due to the above mentioned issues.  With the introduction of CRM 2011 and the sandboxing mechanism this should be less of an issue - that is, hosted providers should be more open to the idea of plugins.

With respect to the development, all you need to know (specific to the CRM) is in the SDK:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg334724.aspx

--pogo (pat)
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 1:03 AM
  • One quick caveat on uniqueness.

The Quote Number (and Order equivalent) must be unique.  If you attempt to assign a Quote Number that has already been used, the CRM will revert to its built-in Quote Number generation mechanism and a Quote Number will be automatically generated and assigned.

So, the responsibility to ensure uniqueness will also be yours.

--pogo (pat)

Sorry to drag up such an old thread but this is the only reference that I have found for the behaviour that you have described. Do you know or recall where I might find the "official" confirmation of this (i.e. that auto-numbering will take over if you/your custom code fails to generate a unique quote reference number)? I have a scenario where this isn't occurring and duplicate IDs are being permitted. I'd like to refer to official expected behaviour when I log my support case with Microsoft...
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 1:22 PM
  • Hi Greg,

Sorry, I don't recall.  In fact, I don't even recall posting that particular response!!

I haven't written a custom Quote identifier generation solution for a long time, but I assume that my caveat regarding uniqueness was inspired by the results of testing previously developed code.  That your experiences during testing differ, I can neither explain nor, back with official documentation.

--pogo (pat) @ pogo69.wordpress.com

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 10:14 PM