Should I be worried about the recent corruption issues?... RRS feed

• Question

• Is the recent corruption issue the same Alternate Data Streams. issue from months ago? I thought it was fixed with the update at the end of November, but some of the stuff I've been reading implies that this is the same ADS issue.

The reason I ask is because I'm pretty sure I don't have any files with ADS, so hopefully I don't have anything to worry about.

Thanks.
    Sunday, January 6, 2008 4:57 AM

All replies

• Safe thing to do with any program right now is not to edit anything that is stored on the shared drives of WHS...  Copy it to your local pc first, edit, save, then copy back.
    Sunday, January 6, 2008 5:02 AM
  • What is considered "editing"?

I'm assuming that users can still use the music share to listen to music/use iTunes to sync iPods. And also, view photos in the photography share. I also install programs from the software share. I'm assuming all of those things are fine.

I know that with XP, if you rotate a picture in picture viewer, it's re-saved. Is that considered "editing" (most users would think that's just "reading", not knowing it alters the picture).

Is the corruption issue widespread? And is it the old ADS issue?

Thanks.
    Sunday, January 6, 2008 5:09 AM
  • The issue is documented in a knowledgebase article. It's not common, in that it requires stressing your server and then using particular programs while the server is under stress, but it can potentially occur on all Windows Home Server PCs with more than one disk installed. It's not the same as the alternate data stream issue.
    Sunday, January 6, 2008 5:47 AM
  • Thanks Ken, that's what I thought.

I read the KB article. I don't use any of the listed programs, but the line about other applications causing the issues is what worries me. I'm pretty sure I experianced this issue at the beginning of December.

So in order for the issue to occur, you have to modify a file on the server, and then save that file to the server (using one of the particular programs).

Viewing pictures won't cause it? Listening to music files won't cause it? Watching streaming video won't cause it?

Thanks again for the help.

EDIT: This post concerns me, since it mentioned iTunes.

EDIT #2: Oops, forgot to link to the post: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2617511&SiteID=50
    Sunday, January 6, 2008 2:23 PM
  • As far as I know, only editing a file has a chance of triggering this particular issue, and there are other triggers that are required as well. But you have to be a little careful, as "editing" can include some activity that you wouldn't expect. iTunes, for example, stores some metadata in tags in the individual files. For iTunes, I relly think you're better off maintaining your music library locally, then copying it to your server occasionally and using Firefly to distribute it throughout your house.
    Sunday, January 6, 2008 8:31 PM
  • Thanks Ken.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, that sometimes you "edit" a file without realizing you are editing a file.

That being said, what if I mark directories as "read only' for users? For instance, I have iTunes on my wife's desktop pointed to the music share on WHS. There isn't any reason for her to add or modify files, she just needs to sync music to her iPod. Read-only access is fine for that, and now she can't technically edit files.

I'm the only one that needs to add music, or change metadata in the files. I can do that on my local machine, and then copy the files over. Again, not technically editing the files on the server.

Am I correct that if I did that, I would not encounter the data corruption issue?

Same thing for photos: my wife just needs read-only, since she just looks at them. That's always been the case, so I don't have to worry about files being accidentally altered or deleted. I'm the only one that adds photos, and that's just uploading them to the server. If I want to edit them, I download them locally. So again, I assume that's safe.

As for the suggestion of keeping the iTunes library local, one of the reasons I wanted a WHS is because my library is too large for any of my local machines.

Thanks again.

Sunday, January 6, 2008 8:53 PM
  • As to what constitutes "editing", consider my example. I put my Thunderbird mail store on WHS. Thunderbird adding or deleting new mail from a folder (e.g. the inbox) will cause this issue since in order to do that, it must alter ("edit") the contents of the relevant msf file.
    Monday, January 7, 2008 3:46 PM
  • Thanks Bob.

So then I assume I can avoid this issue if I mark shares as read-only, at least in terms of other users accidentally causing this error.

Is there any timeframe for MS to fix this? And have they said what they think the underlying cause is? Or are there any theories?

Thanks again.
    Monday, January 7, 2008 5:14 PM
  • I haven't gotten any more feedback to my incident report on Connect since before Christmas. The only theory I have seen is that it may have something to do with the editing activity going on at the same time as storage balancing. I have of course relocated my mail to my local hard drive, but its getting old not being able to see the same mail on all my PC's. Before I had the WHS I ran with my mail on a Buffalo NAS box for several years without incident (and on a Snap Server before that) so it is not as if Thunderbird is somehow unable to deal with the mail store being on a network drive (I guess, as long as I don't try accessing it simultaneously from more than one PC, which I never do).
    Monday, January 7, 2008 5:19 PM
  • edgewoodroad,

If you mark the files as 'read only' that might well prevent the 'editing' problems.

There is no timeframe - how could there be? - all M/s have said, is that they are doing all they can to get a fix out.

I would doubt they will give a detailed reason for the corruption issues, but I would assume it is connected to the migratation of data, as Server 2003, (the underlaying O/S,) doesn't suffer from these problems.

Colin

Monday, January 7, 2008 6:56 PM
  • I also read a suggestion that turning off folder duplication may avoid the issue, but that's unsubstantiated (and I don't really want to lose anymore of my email in an attempt to do so, sorry ;-).

bc
    Monday, January 7, 2008 7:33 PM
  • Turning off duplication will not avoid the issue. Every WHS PC with more than one drive is potentially subject to the file corruption issue, whether there is a single share with duplication turned on or not.
    Monday, January 7, 2008 10:49 PM