How do i disable usb mass storage RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I wanted to block only usb mass storage device, i have tried it from registry by following path,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR

it worked but my usb  printing support was also disabled. the other way i tried is from decivce manager, from there i have disabled usb mass storage, it worked for usb mass storage.

is there any other way to disable usb mass storage??

waiting for your precious suggestions.

SHOAIB.

Thursday, May 19, 2011 4:24 AM

Answers

• Setting "Start" under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR to 4 should prevent Windows for opening USB storage devices, but not affect other USB devices such as printers, keyboards, mice, scanners, etcetera.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

My Blog: http://unlockpowershell.wordpress.com
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ("6B61726C6D69747363686B65406D742E6E6574"-split"(?<=\G.{2})",19|%{[char][int]"0x$_"})

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 7:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft forum. This forum focuses on Perfmon and diagnostic tools. I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

Thanks.

Bruce Adamczak

Bruce Adamczak Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you
    Friday, May 27, 2011 1:14 PM
  • Setting "Start" under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR to 4 should prevent Windows for opening USB storage devices, but not affect other USB devices such as printers, keyboards, mice, scanners, etcetera.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

My Blog: http://unlockpowershell.wordpress.com
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ("6B61726C6D69747363686B65406D742E6E6574"-split"(?<=\G.{2})",19|%{[char][int]"0x$_"})

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 7:26 PM