none
Refresh Start Menu Tile Cache Per User RRS feed

• Question

• First off - I already tried posting in the Win 10 deployment forum and it was suggested that I post here instead - hopefully that's correct advice.

We mange our Windows 10 systems with SCCM and we currently have Office 2016 MSI loaded on our systems.  We want to transition over to Office 365 ProPlus.  We have an entire script written for doing that changeover.  The biggest thing giving us problems is we have World / Excel / PowerPoint pinned to the Start Menu and when you switch to ProPlus, you lose those pinned items.

The new version puts Start Menu shortcuts as Excel.lnk, PowerPoint.lnk, etc...  We have previously put all of the icons with these names:
    %programdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Excel.lnk
    %programdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft PowerPoint.lnk
    %programdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Publisher.lnk
    %programdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Word.lnk

They are all pinned to the Start Menu using an XML that we deploy at imaging time.  We don't enforce a persistent layout, but we want it to at least start out the way that we define.  Users are free to change it after deployment.

The Office 365 ProPlus gets installed while no users are logged in because we're deploying it along with our Win 10 1803 updates.

Everything goes fine with the install, but the items end up getting unpinned from the Start Menu because Windows apparently caches the Program Files location for each Start Menu icon and if that changes, it will remove the pin (even though the item still exists with the same name on the Start Menu).
    For example, we had Word - %programdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Word.lnk

When Office 365 installs, it changes to  %programdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Word.lnk

I set the name back to Microsoft Word to hopefully relink the pinned Start Menu item.  Windows must be caching the program files location for the pinned item.  The new location is %programfiles(x86)%\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\winword.exe".

I did manage to find a registry key that seems to fix this, but it only works after you sign in once as a user and then delete the key - then sign in again.

The key is located here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CloudStore\Store\Cache\DefaultAccount\$de${randomstring}$start.tilegrid$windows.data.curatedtilecollection.tilecollection

I have a script to do this in bulk (but, it isn't working due to the requirement that you must first sign in once and then delete the key):

set "errors=0"

if exist d:\users goto redirected

; REM Fix Pinned Start Menu icons
    for /f "delims=" %%I in ('dir /b /a:d c:\Users') do (
     if exist "c:\users\%%I\ntuser.dat" reg load hklm\default "c:\users\%%I\ntuser.dat"
     if exist "c:\users\%%I\ntuser.dat" powershell -command " Get-ChildItem -Path HKLM:\default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CloudStore\Store\Cache\DefaultAccount -Recurse -Include *data.curatedtilecollection.tilecollection* -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue | Remove-Item -recurse "
     if exist "c:\users\%%I\ntuser.dat" reg unload hklm\default
        )

exit /b %errors%

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to do this?  Is there something built in to do this?  Why does it have to cache the program files location?  I would think that as long as the Start Menu icon name is the same, it should automatically update the link.  I've thought about just deploying a persistent layout, but that is bound to make some people mad. I know you can do just certain parts persistent, but that would still probably make at least one or two users mad.  I've thought about symlinking the Program Files EXEs, but that's bound to cause problems too.

Any help would be appreciated.  And, sorry for the long post - but I'm not sure how to condense this any further - it's a fairly complicated issue.

• Moved by Bill_Stewart Wednesday, December 12, 2018 8:20 PM Off-topic
    Wednesday, August 29, 2018 2:20 AM

All replies

• The correct forum is the Windows and Office deployment forums.  This cannot be managed via a script. 

You can try to use the following CmdLets which allow you to manipulate the Start Menu items and icons.

help Export-StartLayout -online
    help Import-StartLayout -online

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, August 29, 2018 2:49 AM