Bluescreen when booting Restore CD! RRS feed

• Question

• At the moment I'm trying to boot my laptop from an USB stick with the Home PC Restore CD but it bluescreens. I have successfully taken a backup of the machine and I want to do a test-restore of Windows XP before I install a fresh copy of Windows Vista (using another USB memory stick).
    Friday, April 20, 2007 3:04 PM

Answers

•  Sondre - MSFT Regional Director wrote:
    At the moment I'm trying to boot my laptop from an USB stick with the Home PC Restore CD but it bluescreens. I have successfully taken a backup of the machine and I want to do a test-restore of Windows XP before I install a fresh copy of Windows Vista (using another USB memory stick).

I tried to burn the Home PC Restore CD and boot from en USB DVD-ROM, but the same bluescreen appears. Problem is: STOP: 0x0000007B. I'm gonna try and flash the BIOS to see if there are any fixes for it. The machine is a HP TC 4200 Tablet PC.

Friday, April 20, 2007 3:30 PM
  • David, a very usable workaround is to purchase something like this USB/SATA/IDE adapter to connect the bare drive to another PC, then try a restore from that other PC. You can order one online, or pick one up at a Microcenter/Fry's/etc.
    Saturday, March 22, 2008 3:35 PM

All replies

At the moment I'm trying to boot my laptop from an USB stick with the Home PC Restore CD but it bluescreens. I have successfully taken a backup of the machine and I want to do a test-restore of Windows XP before I install a fresh copy of Windows Vista (using another USB memory stick).

I tried to burn the Home PC Restore CD and boot from en USB DVD-ROM, but the same bluescreen appears. Problem is: STOP: 0x0000007B. I'm gonna try and flash the BIOS to see if there are any fixes for it. The machine is a HP TC 4200 Tablet PC.

Friday, April 20, 2007 3:30 PM
  • Upgraded the BIOS (the original one was from 2005, the new one from 2007) but that did not change anything. My HP Tablet PC keeps bluescreening when I'm booting the Home PC Restore files. This is pretty bad and I would appreciate some help.
    Friday, April 20, 2007 3:59 PM
  • I have the same problem with my Acer Travel Mate C300 tablet laptop, the backup works ok just the blue screen when booting from the home pc restore CD

Monday, April 23, 2007 3:53 PM

Sondre - MSFT Regional Director wrote:

Please see the FAQs on the forums. the 0x7B stop error has been addressed.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 12:57 AM
  • That was not very helpful to say the least. The first KB says there is a problem with Pqv2i.sys driver. I'm booting off the Microsoft Restore CD, I have not installed any Symantec tools.

The second KB is about pressing F6 during installation of Windows to select OEM drivers for storage. But this is 2-3 year old HP machine that does not use the latest technologies of any kind, and I can easily install Windows XP and Windows Vista on the hardware without custom hardware installation.

The forum post doesn't tell me if this will be correct in the future. It does not explain any way I can fix this issue. What I am stuck with is a backup solution that doesn't work, and the outlook for v1.0 of Windows Home Server is not good if I can't use it to backup and restore my machines.

I'm willing to run some debugging/tracing on my end to figure out this problem, but then someone at Microsoft needs to contact me/explain me how and what I should do.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 8:39 AM
  • I am going to stick my inexperianced neck out, please don't chop it off if I am wrong.    I don't answer to many questions here, I mostly read and try to learn. With that said, everything I have read so far about drivers during installation or restore, the error you are receiving points directly to the need to manually provide additional drivers. If I understand correctly, as WHS is built SBS 2003, this causes the need for drivers which an installation of XP or Vista would not. Have you tried providing the drivers to see if it would get you past the blue screen? Also, it appears, from my reading here, that older hardware seems to require these additional drivers more than the newer hardware. I am using brand new hardware used to build the machine housing WHS, 2x SATA HDD, and I was not required to manually provide drivers, not for beta 2, nor the installation of CTP. As I already said, it appears, from the threads I have read, that older hardware is more likely to require these additional drivers. Good luck,

Seree

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 4:17 PM
  •  Seree1 wrote:

I am going to stick my inexperianced neck out, please don't chop it off if I am wrong.    I don't answer to many questions here, I mostly read and try to learn. With that said, everything I have read so far about drivers during installation or restore, the error you are receiving points directly to the need to manually provide additional drivers. If I understand correctly, as WHS is built SBS 2003, this causes the need for drivers which an installation of XP or Vista would not. Have you tried providing the drivers to see if it would get you past the blue screen? Also, it appears, from my reading here, that older hardware seems to require these additional drivers more than the newer hardware. I am using brand new hardware used to build the machine housing WHS, 2x SATA HDD, and I was not required to manually provide drivers, not for beta 2, nor the installation of CTP. As I already said, it appears, from the threads I have read, that older hardware is more likely to require these additional drivers. Good luck,

Seree

My WHS is an mini-itx motherboard and on beta 2, there was not embedded drivers for the SATA controller. With the CTP, the drivers for the SATA controller was included and my server installed without any problems. I made a clean install of the server.

As you understand, my problem is with the tablet pc when I try to boot from the Windows Home Restore CD. I have tried to boot from both USB memory stick and external USB DVD-drive, both of them will blue screen my device. The blue screen appears 1-2 seconds after the Windows Server 2003 logo and progress bar appears. Before this, there is a black and white progressbar that completes successfully. There is to my know, no way I can choose to "install" any custom drivers during this process. Am I wrong? Can I hit F6 during the progress bar that appears?

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 4:37 PM
  • Hi, i am having the same problem with one of my pc. I was trying to restore using the restore cd and same as you i got the blue screen. I was reading the FAQ but like you said did not help much.

I had no other choice but re-install xp from scrach because i intencionally erased the pc to see if the restore works.

Did you find a workaround or fix to this issue?

I was wondering myself what is the point to have a server that do not do what is supouse to do, like restore a pc.

Thanks.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 7:56 PM
  • I can confirm that the RC Restore CD image that is currently available through the Connect website will not boot off of a USB DVD drive.  I have a new machine (using an MSI motherboard) that I needed to restore to after a hard drive failure.

This new MSI motherboard takes the IDE drive and converts it to a USB drive on the motherboard.  (Yep, it was the first time I've heard of it too! ).  When I booted from the CD, it would behave just like others reported in this thread.  It would get to the loading windows screen and then blue screen with a stop of 0x0000007b. 

Then I decided to try a real USB to IDE adapter that I had to see if it was something funny on the motherboard.  I got the same result.

When I went a purchased a SATA DVD drive, I was able to boot and restore the machine.  So, it definately looks like RC doesn't have the drivers for USB CD/DVD drives in it.

Monday, August 6, 2007 12:57 PM
  •  

I'm having the same problem. I receive the blue screen 7B error when using the Recovery Disc ( RC version) on a Lenovo X61 Tablet. (Brand new machine). Another post mentioned that this was related to using the Recovery Disc through an external USB DVD player (the tablet has no internal DVD drive). I can confirm that this is indeed the case. I've tested my recovery DVD on another Lenovo laptop with an internal drive and it worked fine. (So its not a faulty burn issue)

I have also tried doing the restore from a USB thumbdrive having a bootable image of the Recovery CD with the additional drivers found in the "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" folder from my last backup. Exact same thing happens.

My 7B error happens a few seconds after the "Microsoft Corporation" scrolling bar appears. I have tried F6 but nothing happens.

Does anyone know if this bug got fixed in the RTM version? I am testing the RC1 version. I can't imagine a product being released where all laptop users with no internal DVD drive can't restore their computers.

Has anyone else been able to successfully use a Recovery Disc from an external DVD drive? If so which one? I was using the Xbox 360 external HD-DVD player, which I have successfuly used to install Windows Vista and Windows XP.

As much as I love this product, I will not be able to buy this if I can't recover my tablet in case of a crash.

Thanks in advance.

Saturday, September 8, 2007 5:33 PM
  • I think I narrowed it down to the fact that the SATA controller drivers included in WHS Restore Cd are out of date for my laptop controller. I have tried switching the BIOS setting from SATA Controller Mode=AHCI to =Compatability mode but that didn't help.

How do I update the drivers on the Restore CD (or bootable USB)? Do I simply copy the files to the appropriate windows/system32/* directories?

Note that the bsod happens way before I can load drivers from an additional usb thumbdrive. I need to put these drivers in the original \Windows\system32\ structure.

Sunday, September 9, 2007 11:31 PM
  • Has anyone tried placing their SATA controller drivers on a thumb drive?

1. Take a thumb drive
    2. Create a folder called Drivers
    3. Place the controller drivers there

WinPE pulls drivers from a folder called Drivers on USB thumb drives.  See if that helps. 

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 5:17 PM
  • Joel, if I'm correctly understanding the issue that users are seeing, then they are experiencing the 7B stop error during the WinPE boot sequence. It's my understanding that WinPE will only load additional drivers from USB (or other media) after it finishes booting, not during the boot process. Or did I miss something in the documentation on WinPE?
    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 6:38 PM
  • Could this an issue related to not enough Ram, there was a second restore iso on connect for systems with 512m Ram.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 6:52 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Joel, if I'm correctly understanding the issue that users are seeing, then they are experiencing the 7B stop error during the WinPE boot sequence. It's my understanding that WinPE will only load additional drivers from USB (or other media) after it finishes booting, not during the boot process. Or did I miss something in the documentation on WinPE?

I'm not sure the exact place where WinPE loads the drivers.  I just want to make sure all possible steps are covered so I can escalate this issue to the team.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 7:37 PM
  •  Joel Burt wrote:

Has anyone tried placing their SATA controller drivers on a thumb drive?

1. Take a thumb drive
    2. Create a folder called Drivers
    3. Place the controller drivers there

WinPE pulls drivers from a folder called Drivers on USB thumb drives.  See if that helps. 

I have tried this and it does not work. Just to make sure I covered all basis, I attempted it three different ways.

i. I copied over the "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" folder to the root of the thumbdrive.

ii. Also, I created a folders called DRIVERS in the root of the thumbdrive and then put the contents of the "WHS Drivers for Restore" folder in there.

iii. Also tried just putting the actual .inf, .sys, etc files straight into a DRIVERS folder in the root of the thumbdrive.

Neither method works. What I notice is the computer reading the DVD drive, then the "Microsoft Corporation" with scolling bar appears, then hard disc gets accessed for around 1 sec, then bsod.

I have ALSO tried doing this whole procedure but booting from a thumb drive which I made of the original Restore CD iso. Same error occurs.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 7:40 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Joel, if I'm correctly understanding the issue that users are seeing, then they are experiencing the 7B stop error during the WinPE boot sequence. It's my understanding that WinPE will only load additional drivers from USB (or other media) after it finishes booting, not during the boot process. Or did I miss something in the documentation on WinPE?

This seems to be correct. In the other machines that I have restored I can use the thumbdrive method to load drivers but that's way later in the process. The bsod happens a few seconds into the booting sequence, very shortly after I see the hard disc light turn on.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 7:42 PM
  •  dfw wrote:
    Could this an issue related to not enough Ram, there was a second restore iso on connect for systems with 512m Ram.

My machine has 4gb of ram. So I don't think it's that.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 7:43 PM
  • DepthsOfOne, something that I think should work (because I've done it in the past for debugging hardware issues), but which you may not want to attempt (because it's frustrating if you have trouble identifying the correct driver), is to add the required drivers to the WinPE image that you're booting from.

If you decide to go this route, there are tutorials on the net here and there, some of higher quality, some lesser. Windows Home Server (and the Restore CD) uses WinPE 2.0, so make sure you get an appropriate tutorial. You may have to try several times before you get the right combination of drivers, and I believe you will have to start from the WinPE files that are on the Restore CD, because they are pre-customized for the restore environment.

This isn't an answer for the average end user of WHS, however.
    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 8:38 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    DepthsOfOne, something that I think should work (because I've done it in the past for debugging hardware issues), but which you may not want to attempt (because it's frustrating if you have trouble identifying the correct driver), is to add the required drivers to the WinPE image that you're booting from.

If you decide to go this route, there are tutorials on the net here and there, some of higher quality, some lesser. Windows Home Server (and the Restore CD) uses WinPE 2.0, so make sure you get an appropriate tutorial. You may have to try several times before you get the right combination of drivers, and I believe you will have to start from the WinPE files that are on the Restore CD, because they are pre-customized for the restore environment.

Ken, Thanks for pointing me down the right path. I will attempt this and report back. One last question, and I don't know if you (or anyone) can answer this. Do you know if there were any changes to the set of drivers included on the Restore CD between the RC1 version and the RTM version? If I can modify WinPE to work then I'll probably buy WHS when it comes out, otherwise I don't think I will. Just wondering if the problem might have already been solved in the RTM version.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 8:49 PM
  • I can't answer for the drivers on RTM, as I'm in the US. Our friends from Down Under have had WHS for weeks while we've been twiddling our thumbs. I'll say that I doubt they will have changed much (maybe not at all) but that's really just a guess.

Edit: Oh, and don't thank me for the assistance until you've actually succeeded. Smile
    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 9:08 PM
  • I have created an issue with the team to investigate this problem.  Here is the internal look up code number: 30220

As for now, if possible, try putting the hard drive in another computer and see if you can restore the image to that drive.  Before booting from that hard drive, put it back in the original computer and see if it loads.

I'm going to mark this as answered.  In a week or so, unmark my post as answered and reply here asking me about the status of this issue.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 9:45 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    DepthsOfOne, something that I think should work (because I've done it in the past for debugging hardware issues), but which you may not want to attempt (because it's frustrating if you have trouble identifying the correct driver), is to add the required drivers to the WinPE image that you're booting from.

Well, it was worth a shot but this didn't work for me. Here is what I did:

1. Created a base directory structure with WAIK by typing: copype x86 C:\winpe

2. Created a .wim file from the original WHS Restore CD by typing: imagex /capture d: c:\winpe\winpe.wim "My WHS Restore" /boot /verify

3. Mounted the new winpe.wim file: imagex /mountrw winpe.wim 1 mount

4. Added the missing driver: peimg /inf=c:\driver\iaAHCI.inf c:\winpe\mount\windows

At this point I get BSOD. I think the wim file that I create off the WHS Restore CD is somehow protected from such tampering. Not really sure, I need to do some more digging. Do you know if the WHS team has provided a wim image for this sort of debugging? I have a feeling they might not want people tampering with their Restore CD.

Thanks for the info though, learned a lot about how these WinPE CD's are made/used. (Obviously not enough hehe)

Thursday, September 13, 2007 2:00 AM
  •  Joel Burt wrote:

I have created an issue with the team to investigate this problem.  Here is the internal look up code number: 30220

As for now, if possible, try putting the hard drive in another computer and see if you can restore the image to that drive.  Before booting from that hard drive, put it back in the original computer and see if it loads.

I'm going to mark this as answered.  In a week or so, unmark my post as answered and reply here asking me about the status of this issue.

Thanks Joel for creating the issue. I'm sure I'm not the only one having this problem. I wish other Lenovo laptop users with SATA Controllers could give some feedback.

As for your suggestion about taking the hard drive out, I can't really attempt this at the moment cause the other laptops that I have access to don't have SATA Drives so my current drive doesn't really fit.

For reference, I have a Lenovo X61 Tablet Product number: 7764-CTO

I'll check back in a week.

Thursday, September 13, 2007 2:10 AM
  • Please vote on this issue if you are also having this problem.

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=298008

Thursday, September 13, 2007 9:49 PM
  • I get a page loading error when I click on the link above, but for the record I have a lenovo x60 tablet pc and I'm having this same exact problem (i.e., bluescreening) when trying to boot from usb connected cd.

Thursday, September 13, 2007 10:10 PM
  • Everybody should have one of these lil gizmos.  conncects/converts any hard drive to USB 2.0 Smile

http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=SATA-IDE-U2&cats=497&catid=739%2C497%2C170%2C161%2C2345%2C140%2C177%2C141%2C142

Still....

Thursday, September 13, 2007 10:12 PM
  •  Joel Burt wrote:

I have created an issue with the team to investigate this problem.  Here is the internal look up code number: 30220

Joel, I'm not sure how to unmark your post, but anyways... Any word on this issue?

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 2:13 PM
  •  DepthsOfOne wrote:
     Joel Burt wrote:

Joel, I'm not sure how to unmark your post, but anyways... Any word on this issue?

I have just received my RTM OEM copy from buy.com and I can confirm that this is still an issue. The Restore CD causes BSOD on my Lenovo X61 Tablet.

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 7:51 PM
  • I'm getting the same thing (with RTM). I'm using a USB DVD drive (as the PC won't boot from the SATA DVD drive).

975XB2 Board

Drives in Raid 0 config (i.e. IASTOR)

Thursday, October 11, 2007 3:12 PM
  • PaultheBuilder,

The first thing to do is get rid of the Raid 0, not only is it not a supported scenario, but it's the fastest way of loosing data known to man.

Also, how does your board recognise the hard disks in the BIOS setting, you could try changing the type of disk there.

Colin

Thursday, October 11, 2007 6:13 PM
  • Hey Colin,

The raid 0 is on my PC that I'm trying to run the restore CD on (not the server). If I choose to run Raid 0, then it should make any difference to booting from the restore CD. The issue is that we get the bluescreen when booting from a USB optical drive, not how to change my target PC disk configuration...

Monday, October 15, 2007 2:21 PM
  •  DepthsOfOne wrote:

I have just received my RTM OEM copy from buy.com and I can confirm that this is still an issue. The Restore CD causes BSOD on my Lenovo X61 Tablet.

Bump on this topic - same problem with my Lenovo X60 Laptop - it BSOD on boot with the restore CD (OEM RTM).

Any word on a fix?

Thanks, Chris.

Thursday, November 1, 2007 1:25 AM
  •  

Thanks for following up with this.  This issue is still in progresss.  We are working on it.

You can do what Still Grey suggested which is, connect the hard drive to an already working computer, run the restore wizard in the operating system, and restore the backup to the hard drive.  That should work for now.

Thursday, November 1, 2007 5:20 PM
  •  Still Grey wrote:

Everybody should have one of these lil gizmos.  conncects/converts any hard drive to USB 2.0

http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=SATA-IDE-U2&cats=497&catid=739%2C497%2C170%2C161%2C2345%2C140%2C177%2C141%2C142

Still....

I purchased one of these and can confirm that this works. I took my SATA drive out (make sure you remove HD password if you have any before removing drive) and plugged it into another laptop using the USB-to-SATA adapter. On the other laptop I booted from the Restore CD (this other laptop had an internal DVD drive) and selected to only restore my latest backup to the external USB Drive. In this particular scenario I had to make sure I selected NONE for this other laptop's internal HDD as I was just interested in restoring my SATA drive which was on the USB adapter.

When restore was done, I unplugged USB adapter and put my SATA drive back in my laptop and it booted up fine. Best $26 I've spent.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 2:47 AM
  • I voted on the issue.  I have an X61 laptop with a 360 HD-DVD drive.  Hopefully we'll have a solution to this.  I'm not sure how comfortable I am removing the hard drive from my really expensive tablet.  I'd have no problem if it were a desktop.

Friday, December 28, 2007 3:13 AM
  •  DepthsOfOne wrote:

I'm having the same problem. I receive the blue screen 7B error when using the Recovery Disc ( RC version) on a Lenovo X61 Tablet. (Brand new machine). Another post mentioned that this was related to using the Recovery Disc through an external USB DVD player (the tablet has no internal DVD drive). I can confirm that this is indeed the case. I've tested my recovery DVD on another Lenovo laptop with an internal drive and it worked fine. (So its not a faulty burn issue)

I have also tried doing the restore from a USB thumbdrive having a bootable image of the Recovery CD with the additional drivers found in the "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" folder from my last backup. Exact same thing happens.

My 7B error happens a few seconds after the "Microsoft Corporation" scrolling bar appears. I have tried F6 but nothing happens.

Does anyone know if this bug got fixed in the RTM version? I am testing the RC1 version. I can't imagine a product being released where all laptop users with no internal DVD drive can't restore their computers.

Has anyone else been able to successfully use a Recovery Disc from an external DVD drive? If so which one? I was using the Xbox 360 external HD-DVD player, which I have successfuly used to install Windows Vista and Windows XP.

As much as I love this product, I will not be able to buy this if I can't recover my tablet in case of a crash.

Thanks in advance.

I'm trying to restore to a spare hard drive as well on a HP TC4200.  I'm using an external DVD/CD drive and am getting the same BSOD error as you.  My home server OS came preinstalled on an HP NAS.  I've tried copying the driver files to a USB flash drive while booting to the restore CD as well, no go.

Saturday, January 5, 2008 12:05 AM
  • Same problem sata optical on Nvidia 680i.  I'm still trying to figure out what WHS does do.  First file corruption, then no reinstall option problem now no restore. Maybe I've just been really unlucky, but my confidence is shot. Hope Microsoft can fix these issues.

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 12:29 AM
  • I just encountered the same problem on a Fujitsu U810 ultra-portable. I'm using the production version of WHS, and an external USB DVD drive on the U810.

This gets even more fun, as the 1.8" hard drive in the U810 has a ZIF ribbon cable interface, not SATA or PATA, so yet another type of adapter is needed to connect the drive to different system.

Backups are nice, but being able to restore from them is even better.   :-|

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 1:19 AM
  • Now (no changes) I am getting different results on reboots with the RCD.  One time I made it through keyboard language, browse for HS then password and network error occurred.  Very frustrating.  I can't remember ever owning a more unreliable software from anyone, and it's backup software to boot.

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 1:53 AM
  • More out of curiosity than anything else (all of my hardware has an internal CD drive) I'm going to try to create a bootable USB version of the restore CD...
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008 3:17 AM
  • Any luck Ken?  I was looking around and it may be DNS resolver issues on my previous post. Doesn't explain the inconsistencies.  I hope I don't have to build a DNS server as well.
    Wednesday, January 9, 2008 1:52 AM
  • Well, I have several USB flash drives I can try for the purpose, and several systems to test them on, and several different methods of creating bootable flash drives. So no, nothing yet, unless you count STOP 0x7b errrors during the boot phase progress. Smile
    Wednesday, January 9, 2008 3:24 AM
  • Joel,

What is the status? This issue is exactly what I am experiencing.

I now need to restore my harddrive and am frustrated to see all the money I spent to have a restore solution wasted.  Laptop is a small Dell420. Drive is to small to fit in my USB hard drive box, so I can't connect it to another computer.

HELP.

Saturday, March 22, 2008 4:03 AM
  • David, a very usable workaround is to purchase something like this USB/SATA/IDE adapter to connect the bare drive to another PC, then try a restore from that other PC. You can order one online, or pick one up at a Microcenter/Fry's/etc.
    Saturday, March 22, 2008 3:35 PM
  • I have a Thinkpad X61T too, and can confirm that when trying to boot from the RTM (I'm running the HP MediaSmart 470 with it's provided media) WHS Restore disk, using an external USB CD/DVD drive, I get the blue screen stop error.  I do have the docking station, and the CD/DVD drive for that, and when I boot from that Dock/DVD I am able to succesfully get to the recovery environment.

It's disapointing that the overall end-user experience hasn't been more stable with the WMS.  When a typical end user needs to boot the restore disk, is NOT when you want them seeing windows stop errors.  And particulary from one of the more common ways a storage device is likely to be attached (USB).
    Sunday, April 13, 2008 8:28 PM
  • Yeah, this is my first big disappointment with the WHS. I love it for its backup, but I just decided to test the restore functionality on a spare laptop I had. I got the ox7B stop error and am not happy at all. This puts a huge damper in my trust on this things recovery abilities. Im not going to test it on one of my other systems for fear of it not working for some reason or another, and until I know for sure I may have purchased a rather expensive, pointless nas and Ill use a usb drive for backup purposes with Ghost which I know works well.

I have 2 desktop systems on my network, both with SATA raids, and 2 laptops both with external USB drives. So basically, what this thing is saying, is that it cant do a restore for my 2 laptops and whether or not it can do it for my desktops is highly questoinable.

Darn. I really was happy with the WHS until now. Looking forward to a new restore CD with this resolved.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 4:16 PM
  • Mark,

Have you tried the latest restore CD? It might help.

You really need to figure out what is happening, also, why not try it on the others - it might be OK. I have trialled it now on all my Clients, 8 of them and have it working satisfactorily for all of them. The only thing I found, was that I needed to copy all the appropriate drivers for each machine to a USB thumb drive, after that, I've had no further problems.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 6:37 PM
  •  

Thanks for the reply! I tried following your link, and was not a member of microsoft connect. i did sign up, and still do not see the beta CD you are speaking of. Would love to try. I brought home from a work a docking station to remove the USB Cd drive aspect of the problem, and I am still getting the error in the same spot, prior to PE actually loading. Since it is here, I cant not put any drivers on a USB drive.

I think it is more of an issue, since the laptop has a SATA drive, that it is an issue surrounding that at this point.

I would love to try this CD but cant seem to get access to it. Unfortunately my other systems are all SATA drives as well, the 2 desktops have raid on them.

I was doing this to test it. If I boot one of my good machines with it, it wont overwrite anything if I want to cancel it, will it? I just want to see if I can at least get into the PE environment with the desktops.

I still do hate to say Im disappointed with the WHS. I love it. I love its concept, its looks, and everything about it. This problem however is unacceptable whether it be because the drive is SATA or it doesnt like the USB cd connection. A large portion of current laptops come with this configuration, from Dell, Lenovo, and HP themselves. It shouldnt have been an oversight, but I am hopefully confident that perhaps this new boot CD will work! ?

Any pointers on getting this CD?

Update - I signed up properly and found the CD. Trying it now, Ill post the results here.

UPDATE!!! Thanks for pointing me to the new CD, that was what I was hoping for. Looks like all the issues I was having are fixed on this new CD. My faith, and my computer, are both properly restored where they should be.

It booted and restored properly from the docking station cd drive, I then tested it on the USB attached CD drive and both were successful Smile

Thanks for the info!

Monday, April 28, 2008 9:37 PM
  • Same here!

Had a computer with SATA Raid, External USB DVD, 4Gbs of RAM. Previously were running into blue screens while trying to restore, but now with the new CD, they have disappeared!

Thks a lot to you all!!

Diego.

Monday, May 12, 2008 2:12 AM
  • I have the same problem with windows vista ultimate.  i figured it was because i had 4 gb of ram so i removed one bank, so now i have 2 gb and it still didnt work even though it posted.  i got the same blue screen and cant figure out why.  i even tried removing all diffferent devices so that it was a stripped down system.  nothing seems to work.  i dont use any symantec stuff.  never did.  this is a significant issue....basically renders windows home server useless for security and backups.  tell me my investment wasnt wasted on another microsoft product please.  Ive enjoyed it thus far...but now it seems like folly to continue trusting it. 
    Sunday, June 29, 2008 6:35 PM
  • Well - I also have the same problem... Multiple SATA drives, External USB-DVD and I get the same error. I have tried burning the new Restore CD software located in the WHS software directory (after PP1 is installed) but it still doesn't work.

I can see that this issue was reported way back, so I am wondering why so little (my guess) effort have been put into fixing it. Doesn't this problem remove the entire idea of the WHS? I mean the moment I need to restore my computer, it is impossible!

Monday, August 25, 2008 6:08 PM
  • I just installed the RTM of WHS PP1 (was previously using the trial version), and I'm trying to restore my main desktop to a new 7200.11 1TB Seagate drive. My current setup is a 7200.10 500GB drive. I get a bluescreen almost every time I try to restore. Very frustrating. I have the latest software. I'm not sure what to do. I'm surprised this bug is still in PP1.

Any suggestions other than restoring to the drive by connecting it to a different machine?
    Monday, September 1, 2008 8:15 PM
  • What is the error being reported on the blue screen?
    Monday, September 1, 2008 8:52 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

What is the error being reported on the blue screen?

Same one as everyone else, I think. It happened a dozen times or more. Then the last time I tried to reproduce it to report it here, it worked for the first time. So I was able to restore to my new drive, and everything is running just fine.
    Friday, September 12, 2008 2:49 AM
  • A problem has been detected... [snip]

Check for viruses on your computer. [snip]
    Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0X0000007B (0x86E03BA0, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Jared Tomlinson - Information Technologist, SeaWorld Family of Parks
    Friday, September 26, 2008 12:04 AM
  • Jared Tomlinson said:

A problem has been detected... [snip]

Check for viruses on your computer. [snip]
    Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0X0000007B (0x86E03BA0, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Jared Tomlinson - Information Technologist, SeaWorld Family of Parks

I have just had this happen to me too.  I have the Lenovo X61 with a USB CD/DVD drive.  The client restore fails with the 7B message and the above information.  I've been able to restore all my other computers at one time or another, but not the Lenovo, after spending all weekend working on it.  Not why I bought WHS.  All those 8 months of daily/monthly backups are useless to me!  Is there any solution to this?
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 3:13 AM
  • There is!
    Download the latest version of the Restore CD:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=26881305-91cc-4f37-b1fc-3813c423df2c&displaylang=en
    Important notes on installing it to your WHS:
    Download the file to your desktop.  Right-click the downloaded file > properties > click 'unblock' in the General tab > OK.
    Copy the file to a public share on your WHS.
    Remote Desktop into your WHS.  Browse to the share that you copied the file to (using the 'shared folders on server' shortcut that should be on your WHS's desktop), and install it.
    After it's installed (the files will be written to \Software\Windows Home Server Restore CD), read the file called readme.txt for instructions on how to burn the new Restore CD.

HTH,
    Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 4:03 AM
  •  While my BSOD issue isn't directly related to the same products here (Windows Home Server) - i wouldn't be suprised if the solution is the same.

In short, i was trying to Boot a Lenovo SL500 Notebook with a BartPE disc to run an antivirus scan on the HD.
    The Notebook would begin loading off the BartPE CD, until it received a STOP ERROR: 0x0000007B (the BSOD screen error)

i then tried booting the Notebook with a BitDefender Linux LiveCD - this booted no problem, and was able to scan the NTFS partition.
    ref: http://download.bitdefender.com/rescue_cd/

i then tried booting the Notebook with a Lenovo Hard Drive firmware update utility (this is also a Bootable ISO CD)
    ref: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-63685

Well anyway, it was Lenovo who pointed out my issue on their support page...
    In short; You need to change the SATA controller within the BIOS from 'ACHI Mode' to 'Compatability Mode'.

Well anyway, once i changed the SATA from ACHI to Compatibility ~ everything now boots fine...
    BartPE now boots with no issue, and allows me to access the Windows NTFS partition.

--------
    So my 5c advice... check whether you need to change the SATA Controller (within the BIOS) from 'ACHI' to 'Compatability Mode'.

i do also note though ~ when u want to boot the system off its own Hard Drive once again (and not one of these Boot CD's), then you will need to once again change the SATA Controller within the BIOS from 'Compatability Mode' and back to 'ACHI' mode.
    • Proposed as answer by BlissSolutions Saturday, March 14, 2009 6:20 AM
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 6:18 AM
  • I came to the same conclusion as BlissSolutions: my SATA DVD drive is running through an unsupported RAID controller, and isn't running in "Compatibility" mode.  It's connected to the secondary RAID controller (Si3114r5) on an Intel D955XBK motherboard.  I use all 4 SATA ports on the primary controller (ICH7R) for a RAID 5 / RAID 0 matrix array.  I haven't found a way to make the primary controller run in RAID mode while the secondary runs in EIDE mode, so it's either all (RAID 5/0, and the DVD drive running through a RAID controller) or nothing (JBOD*4 + DVD).  I can't do what some MVPs recommend of connecting a drive to another PC, because that won't restore the RAID array and I don't have any spare drives.  My only option appears to be to connect the DVD drive through a USB to SATA connector, assuming that the latest recovery CD now works for USB CD drives, and try that.  Unfortunately, that means taking the HTPC computer out of a cabinet, cracking it open, and disassembling enough of it to get to the SATA connector on the DVD drive.

I realized that the problem was the secondary controller when I had the exact same BSOD during an attempt to reinstall Win MCE 2005 on the machine.  If I F6'ed the Si3114r5 driver, then no BSOD (but I had a different problem because the install stopped recognizing my USB key as a floppy).  If I did not F6 the Silicon Image driver, then BSOD with the same STOP ERROR number as observed with the WHS recovery CD.

But the WHS Restore CD doesn't give a chance to F6, so I can't provide the necessary driver at all.

I'm using the Restore CD downloaded ~ 7/12/2008.  DVD drive is a LG BluRay / HDDVD read-only.

I would install Vista or Win 7, but those don't like my hard drive configuration and refuse to install.  In fact, they - and the lack of their ability to install on my RAID array - are why I'm in this situation to begin with.

My last resort is to crack the HTPC open, connect a floppy drive, reinstall Win MCE, then reinstall Vista as an upgrade, and then reinstall Win 7 as an upgrade to get back to where I was.  Other ideas are welcome!
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 9:00 PM
  • I don't know why this worked for me (I, too, failed [repeatedly] just after loading files and having the Microsoft scroll bar) I have 8 gigs of ram. I then tried the "less than 512mb of ram" option. The entire restore proceeded from the disk (rather than loading into memory). It was slower, but it has worked twice.
    • Edited by Jonah Kirk Thursday, October 27, 2011 4:44 PM
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 4:43 PM