using set-aduser for logon script RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am new to Powershell and have the following issue

I need to take the logon script from one user and put it to another user but I am having troubles.

Thanks in advance for any help 

$UserName = Read-Host "Enter the users name" 
    $NewUser = Read-Host "Enter the new users name"
    $Nuser = Get-ADuser -Filter {displayName -eq $NewUser} | Select-Object SamAccountName
    Get-ADUser -Filter {displayName -eq $UserName} -Properties ScriptPath | Set-Aduser $Nuser

• Edited by MrSmity101 Thursday, July 19, 2018 2:30 PM
    • Changed type Bill_Stewart Tuesday, December 11, 2018 9:03 PM
    • Moved by Bill_Stewart Tuesday, December 11, 2018 9:03 PM Unanswerable drive-by question
    Thursday, July 19, 2018 2:30 PM

All replies

• Do you mean set the script path. Logon scripts are set by Group Policy. Talk to your AD Administrator for assistance setting a users logon script.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, July 19, 2018 2:34 PM
  • Do you mean you want to copy the scriptPath attribute from one AD user account to another?

Here's an example (not tested, but you get the idea):

$user1 = Get-ADUser "user1" -Properties scriptPath
    Get-ADuser "user2" | Set-ADUser -ScriptPath $user1.scriptPath

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Thursday, July 19, 2018 2:34 PM
  • $scriptfromuser = get-aduser -identity $username -properties scriptpath | select -expandproperty scriptpath

set-aduser -identity $newuser -scriptpath $scriptfromuser

Thursday, July 19, 2018 2:36 PM
  • You don't say how the script fails, but your Set-ADUser cmdlet doesn't assign anything. As noted, use the -ScriptPath parameter. Also, the displayName attribute may not be assigned a value, or more than one user can have the same value. Are you sure the displayName uniquely identifies the users? Maybe you want Name, or better yet, sAMAccountName (pre-Windows 2000 logon name).

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Thursday, July 19, 2018 4:38 PM