Hosting a website in WHS11 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I believe it is possible to host a website in WHS11, and that this is done through IIS? At the moment all I know i also need to change the DNS settings against my domain to point to the external IP address of my server (HP N40L). Any help / support on the steps involved would be appreciated.

Thanks

Demetri

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 7:11 PM

Answers

• Don't start with WHS, it's not designed for that!! You would be better with W7 and Apache. If you really want to try by configuring IIS on WHS, try the Technet site.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Friday, July 6, 2012 4:41 AM
    Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:51 PM

All replies

• Don't start with WHS, it's not designed for that!! You would be better with W7 and Apache. If you really want to try by configuring IIS on WHS, try the Technet site.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Friday, July 6, 2012 4:41 AM
    Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:51 PM
  • Hello Demetri,

I have had a lot of success setting up a website on my WHS2011. I found some great information at: http://www.wegotserved.com/. They have an ebook available; "25 Essential Projects for WHS" that will walk you thru setting up IIS7.5, PHP, MySQL, Wordpress and other web choices that IMHO is a most excellent way to get your feet wet on building your own website. Now, this is definitely on a small scale verses building a website that you are expecting to generate thousands or millions of hits a day, but for an intro to building your own website for friends and family, you can't beat it. Windows 7 will work great too but where is the fun in that (its suppose to be a ClientPC).

Most importantly; I haven't spent a dime to setup my website (except I bought the ebook for about $20). You also need a pretty healthy Server...QuadCore processing/large Cache, lots of RAM & a good connection/provider to internet access.

Good Luck

Thursday, July 5, 2012 6:50 PM