Partner portal: How to populate content in a Web Page RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have installed the partner portal and have setup the required classes for portal development(no errors). In CRM's content management, I see websites, web pages etc., I created a web site and a web page under it. How can I add logo, controls and content onto the web page  ? If I have to create them using VS, what is the use of having a web page control here? How do I interpret the usage of the website, web page, page templates controls in CRM? 

Finally, how can I view a web page created in CRM in VS 2012?

This is all in CRM 2011 on-premise.

• Edited by IamaNovice Sunday, August 11, 2013 5:47 AM
    Sunday, August 11, 2013 5:39 AM

All replies

• Did you populate the CRM entities using the WebsiteCopy utility?  This utility will set up all of the required data for a portal.  I would not recommend setting up the data by hand as there is a lot of data requirements for the portal to render.

The portal design is implemented in master pages in the project, and you can modify the page templates using Visual Studio.  Think of developing-by-templates, but having the 'content' being loaded from CRM at runtime.  This is a typical CMS pattern.  If you need to add new pages, you can simply use the front-side editing tool to create the new content, but if you want to change the design of the site, or add modules that do not exist yet, you will have to modify the website code.  The full source code for the website is included in the partner portal.

If you want a more modern experience with less requirements to use Visual Studio, you will have to consider using the commercial version from Adxstudio.  It has much more point-and-click interfaces that allow you to configure what shows up on your portal without touching the Visual Studio code or requiring a developer.  The latest version of Adxstudio (6) also is based on Bootstrap so you can theme your website with any standard bootstrap theme builder.

Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com

• Proposed as answer by B sreenivasulu Friday, August 16, 2013 3:49 AM
    Friday, August 16, 2013 2:09 AM