Error : Filter Manager failed to attach to volume '\Device\DriveExtenderVolume RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have Vail installed, and connected 4 hdd's to it.Locally on the server everything seems to be ok. As soon as I try to read data from a remote machine, the complete server locks up. I have to reboot the servers by a power-cycle to get it running again.

Te following errors appear in the system eventlog right after a normal boot:

Filter Manager failed to attach to volume '\Device\DriveExtenderVolume1'.  This volume will be unavailable for filtering until a reboot.  The final status was 0xc000014f.

Does anyone have any clue what's goign on??

Regards,

Paul

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 9:38 PM

Answers

• Could you submit a bug report on Connect, please?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:42 PM

All replies

• Could you submit a bug report on Connect, please?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:42 PM
  • Yes , ofcourse. No problem
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 1:31 PM
  • I am having this exact problem all of a sudden starting the same time as you. It is leading me to think that recent Windows Updates caused it. I cannot access any of my shared folders but dashboard reports the drive usage correctly. The folder "drives" simply say that they need a format.
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 4:19 PM
  • FYI,

This is a know issue bugged on connect as feedback ID#559947 ("Filtermanager ID#3 errors in system event log")

This feedback was closed as "external". Personal I would read this as "the cause of the problem lies outside VAIL" (maybe the origine of this error beeing rooted in the underlying Windows OS?). I am sure MS will somehow resolve this for the RTM version.

By submitting this as a bug on connect as Ken Warren requested and/or validating the feedback item mentioned above will help MS in solving this.
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 7:37 PM
  • No, it seems Microsoft does nothing at all with this information. As asked by Ken Warren I submitted a bug report, but it has been closed without any input at all! Is this the way Microsoft handles bugs???

I don't know what to do with my server now. I also tried to reinstall it, preserving all data on it, but then I get an error this can't be done. The message says Solve thee problem and try again.

I guess the only option now is a complete new installation. But I'm afraid my problem will come back!

Monday, October 25, 2010 8:32 AM
  • Is your problem solved?
    Monday, October 25, 2010 8:34 AM
  • No, it seems Microsoft does nothing at all with this information. As asked by Ken Warren I submitted a bug report, but it has been closed without any input at all! Is this the way Microsoft handles bugs???

In my experience Microsoft uses any information that gets reported on connect. Don't expect problems reported on Connect to be solved with a work arround or a fix. By installing VAIL beta you accepted that it is a beta product the has problems.

Reporting a problem however will notify to MS that a user experienced a problem. Independant Acknowledgement/validation of the problem by other user in most cases will "rase its priority". Accompanied with Server/Client logfiles and or screenshots MS can investigate the cause of the problem reported or even solve it for the final version. "Closed without any input at all" most likely means that (based on your description of the problem) the problem is known or can not be reproduced and no further action/input from your side will be requested. Feel free to re-open the report if you think this is needed. Please also see the additional information on the "Closed" status?

I don't know what to do with my server now. I also tried to reinstall it, preserving all data on it, but then I get an error this can't be done. The message says Solve thee problem and try again.I guess the only option now is a complete new installation. But I'm afraid my problem will come back!

I think you can safely ignore the "Filter Manager failed to attach to volume '\Device\DriveExtenderVolume1'" error events in the eventlist. As far as I can see these error are related to server backup.  They do not seem to have any negative effect the server functionality, at least not on my VAIL refresh servers.

Server lock-ups initialted by data transfer in most cases can be traced to hardware or driver problems. In you case I would suspect the drivers used for you Network Interface Card.

To see if you can solve this the first thing to do is to determine if the lock-ups can be reproduced by stressing the network load. Alternatively check if the server locks up when doing (multiple) data transfers directly on the system disk or by stressing CPU load. This is to rule out problems with disk drive, disk drivers or other system drivers. Check you are using the latest drivers for your NIC (supporting Windows Server 2008 64-bits). Alternatively you could consider replacing you Network Card to see if this solves your problems.

I do not think it is likely that a new installation will solve the problem. If all else fails it is woth a try.
    - Theo.

PS - For VAIL in general I can recommend to use the drivers that came with the installation DVD. Only install custom drivers if absolutely necessairy. Best to disable any additional hardware not needed for server functionality. Like audio (a server does not need sound) or graphic chipsets (VAIL is ment to run headless - standard VGA will do for an occasional admin login with monitor and keyboard)

No home server like Home Server
    Monday, October 25, 2010 6:24 PM