How do you manage a big pool of ressource and project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have around 50 projects and 170 resources in project server.

I just want to know how you manage the resource availability. Did you use some add-on feature?

Sometime it's hard to start a project because there is a lot of resource involves and they are already overloaded.

Thanks!

PWAdmin

Thursday, March 22, 2012 12:52 PM

Answers

• Hello PWAdmin,

I would suggest to following scenario's

1. Create a resourcepool. Fill in the RBS value for each resource. Additionally add a Role custom field for resources. Give every resource the correct Role. Set the Role custom field to be used in Resource Matching.

2. Create a generic resource per Role.

3. Create Project Templates with standard activities and assign generic resources to specific tasks

4. When creating a new project, use the template, schedule activities in the correct period, add and remove tasks as required.

5. Use resource capacity views in PWA or resource usage views in MS Project to determine the required Work per generic resource. Alternativily you could Portfolio Analysis with Resource constraints to view the available capacity per role and compare this with the requirements per role for new projects. This will allow you to do what-if analysis.

6. Use Resource Matching in MS Project or PWA to replace generic resources by specific resources.

7. Use Resource Usage or Team Planner view in MS Project to fine tune any resource overallocation for specific resources

8. Use Business Intelligence center / Performance Point or Excel for creating graphs that will show required capacity and work per period/ per RBS/ per Role.  

Project Server will not automatically reschedule projects or resources, but you will obtain a better insight if you use the method above.

Greetings,

Marcel Visscher - EPM consultant QS solutions

Marcel Visscher QS solutions

• Marked as answer by PWAdmin Wednesday, March 28, 2012 11:23 AM
    Friday, March 23, 2012 10:07 AM
  • I think you're looking for the tool to provide all the answers:well it can't!! Your solution will come from People, Process and Tools. You need senior management involvement to prioritise projects and then queue them up as much as possible. Run more than the minimum needed to provide a full workload and the productivity of all projects falls.

You need resource managers to manage resource availability and share resources across the projects based on priority and skills (you need to assign skills to every resource in PS).

You need your project managers to schedule resource needs accurately as possible. If PMs just assign resources at full time when they only need say 20h per week then nothing is going to work!

Finally, what information do management need to help them prioritise projects and what info do resource managers need to help balance resource workloads. Build reports in PS to provide this info.

That's your starting position!

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:34 PM

All replies

• Hello PWAdmin,

It's not a simple question to answer. What is your problem exactly? Is it to have up to date availability data in Project Server? Or to have visibility on that data in order to find the resource with enough availability?

Livia

Thursday, March 22, 2012 1:26 PM
  • PWAdmin --

I would recommend that your PMs use the View Availability page, accessed by selecting resources in the Resource Center page and then clicking the View Availability button.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Friday, March 23, 2012 3:14 AM
  • Hello PWAdmin,

I would suggest to following scenario's

1. Create a resourcepool. Fill in the RBS value for each resource. Additionally add a Role custom field for resources. Give every resource the correct Role. Set the Role custom field to be used in Resource Matching.

2. Create a generic resource per Role.

3. Create Project Templates with standard activities and assign generic resources to specific tasks

4. When creating a new project, use the template, schedule activities in the correct period, add and remove tasks as required.

5. Use resource capacity views in PWA or resource usage views in MS Project to determine the required Work per generic resource. Alternativily you could Portfolio Analysis with Resource constraints to view the available capacity per role and compare this with the requirements per role for new projects. This will allow you to do what-if analysis.

6. Use Resource Matching in MS Project or PWA to replace generic resources by specific resources.

7. Use Resource Usage or Team Planner view in MS Project to fine tune any resource overallocation for specific resources

8. Use Business Intelligence center / Performance Point or Excel for creating graphs that will show required capacity and work per period/ per RBS/ per Role.  

Project Server will not automatically reschedule projects or resources, but you will obtain a better insight if you use the method above.

Greetings,

Marcel Visscher - EPM consultant QS solutions

Marcel Visscher QS solutions

• Marked as answer by PWAdmin Wednesday, March 28, 2012 11:23 AM
    Friday, March 23, 2012 10:07 AM
  • Thanks to Dale for his suggestion. We already use the view in the past. Now I like to use the Resource Usage in MSP Pro.

But it’s not easy to put new projects that contain a lot of resource on the server. Maybe I have to try out the Team Planner. Special thanks to Marcel Visscher. If you have any hint feel free to post them here!

Thanks a lot!

PWAdmin

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:43 PM
  • Maybe Dale or Marcel could answer this one,

I try to use the Resource Substitution Wizard. The problem is that the resource doesn’t have Skills. How could I have skills to resources?

@Dale, I have the Orange and Blue Book and I don't find the information, maybe I miss something?

Thanks

PWAdmin

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:22 PM
  • I think you're looking for the tool to provide all the answers:well it can't!! Your solution will come from People, Process and Tools. You need senior management involvement to prioritise projects and then queue them up as much as possible. Run more than the minimum needed to provide a full workload and the productivity of all projects falls.

You need resource managers to manage resource availability and share resources across the projects based on priority and skills (you need to assign skills to every resource in PS).

You need your project managers to schedule resource needs accurately as possible. If PMs just assign resources at full time when they only need say 20h per week then nothing is going to work!

Finally, what information do management need to help them prioritise projects and what info do resource managers need to help balance resource workloads. Build reports in PS to provide this info.

That's your starting position!

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:34 PM