Cannot syncronize address book, phone numbers,... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm getting this message when I click on button below Call forwarding button: "Cannot synchronize with corporate address book because the file could not be find....". Also, occasionally I'm getting some kind of Outlook integration error, displayed on the same place.
    Could that be connected?

I'm having configured phone number normalization, location profiles, phone usage, policy and routes, but I'm only able to call local domain users. When I'm trying to type some external number in internation phone format (or any other) I get message "No results found".

Also, cannot put any additional  phone number in my Communicator (Tools > Options > Phones). It always says "This phone is not a valid phone number....". Of course, I'm using international phone number format as it is specified here:
    http://office.microsoft.com/client/helppreview.aspx?AssetID=HA102120291033&ns=COMM2007&lcid=1033

I'm using standard server, mediation server and Dialogic PIMG gateway. I guess that's enough to make outbound and inbound calls over my PBX.

Regards,
    Boris
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 3:32 PM

Answers

• Hi rispekt,

What you list should be enough to make inbound/outbound phone calls.

There is an FAQ regarding the Outlook Integration errors. Can you give some of these a try to fix this known issue:

• Start Outlook, wait a few minutes and then start Communicator.
    • Check that Outlook is using the default profile.
    • Verify you are using Office Communicator 2007 build 2.6090.0.
    • Verify your Internet Explorer proxy settings are correct for your environment.
    • Try to connect to your Adress Book Server URL's manually. If they are not accessible, then troubleshoot your web services:
      • For example:
        • Try to connect to the URLs from the server.
        • Check for any DNS issues.
        • Check any routing issues.
        • Try resetting IIS.
        • Try restarting the web pages.
    • Verify you are using the same credentials in Outlook as you are in Communicator.
    • Verify your are not using an untrusted certificate in Exchange Server 2007.
    • Delete galcontacts.db located in %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Communicator On the OCS server open a command prompt. Navigate to <install path>\Server\Core\ and then run ABServer.exe -syncNow
    • In Office Communicator, under Tools>Options,on the bottom part of the Personal tab is the Personal information manager. Verify that the 'Automatically retrieve Out of Office settings from Outlook' and 'Update my status based on calendar data' options have been selected.

Regarding making outbound calls. Can you turn on some logging on the gateway and can you verify your mediation serve is sending the phone call to your gateway? If not, can you verify the phone call is being routed to the mediation server from the OCS server?  If it is isgetting there, there must be a configuration error on your mediation server. If it is not even getting to the mediation server, you need to check the configuration of your OCS server.

Have you run the validation wizards?
    Do you get any errors/events on either server?

Are you able to make inbound phone calls?

Please let us know.

Thursday, May 24, 2007 6:15 PM
  • Hi Thom Foreman,

Thank you for you're help. There was a problem with IIS and address book sync. Default web site on port 80 was already started, so I've  changed it and now everything looks to be OK.
    Now I can dial numbers and OCS  mediation server is communication with gateway. Inbound and outbound calls are still not working OK, but It's gateway configuration issue now.

Regards
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 9:04 AM

All replies

• Hi rispekt,

What you list should be enough to make inbound/outbound phone calls.

There is an FAQ regarding the Outlook Integration errors. Can you give some of these a try to fix this known issue:

• Start Outlook, wait a few minutes and then start Communicator.
    • Check that Outlook is using the default profile.
    • Verify you are using Office Communicator 2007 build 2.6090.0.
    • Verify your Internet Explorer proxy settings are correct for your environment.
    • Try to connect to your Adress Book Server URL's manually. If they are not accessible, then troubleshoot your web services:
      • For example:
        • Try to connect to the URLs from the server.
        • Check for any DNS issues.
        • Check any routing issues.
        • Try resetting IIS.
        • Try restarting the web pages.
    • Verify you are using the same credentials in Outlook as you are in Communicator.
    • Verify your are not using an untrusted certificate in Exchange Server 2007.
    • Delete galcontacts.db located in %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Communicator On the OCS server open a command prompt. Navigate to <install path>\Server\Core\ and then run ABServer.exe -syncNow
    • In Office Communicator, under Tools>Options,on the bottom part of the Personal tab is the Personal information manager. Verify that the 'Automatically retrieve Out of Office settings from Outlook' and 'Update my status based on calendar data' options have been selected.

Regarding making outbound calls. Can you turn on some logging on the gateway and can you verify your mediation serve is sending the phone call to your gateway? If not, can you verify the phone call is being routed to the mediation server from the OCS server?  If it is isgetting there, there must be a configuration error on your mediation server. If it is not even getting to the mediation server, you need to check the configuration of your OCS server.

Have you run the validation wizards?
    Do you get any errors/events on either server?

Are you able to make inbound phone calls?

Please let us know.

Thursday, May 24, 2007 6:15 PM
  • Also, to verify your voice settings, you can install the resource kit, called lcreskit.msi found in setup\i386\setup of the public beta download. A part of the reskit is the RouteHelper tool found on your start menu once you install the kit.

It is very handy in verifying your routes, policies, normalization rules, etc.

Try this out.

Thursday, May 24, 2007 6:19 PM
  • I have this same situation.  Cannot place outbound phone calls (can call point to point with other OCS users).  Have verified video and audio setup.  Have verified with administrator that all settings on the server/user side are correct. Can log in to a different Communicator client on a different machine and have no problems being able to dial out so seems machine (my Windows XP) specific rather than server side.

Somehow this seems specific to how my machine deals with phone numbers.  Have even looked in the Windows Phone and Modems settings in Control Panel and nothing seems out of the ordinary there.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 7:21 PM
  • Hi Thom Foreman,

Thank you for you're help. There was a problem with IIS and address book sync. Default web site on port 80 was already started, so I've  changed it and now everything looks to be OK.
    Now I can dial numbers and OCS  mediation server is communication with gateway. Inbound and outbound calls are still not working OK, but It's gateway configuration issue now.

Regards
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 9:04 AM
  •  

Whenever you have any issue with Address book service just spare some minutes to check the settings mentioned in following link.

http://www.ocspedia.com/ABS/Steps.htm

Ram K Ojha
    MCSE 2003 - Messaging, MCTS- (LCS 2005 & OCS 2007)
    http://www.OCSPedia.com
    http://www.ITCentrics.com
    Monday, February 4, 2008 12:21 AM