Dual Boot on Server? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to have 2 different OS on a WHS machine?   I have one machine currently dedicated to WHS, but I also want to have this machine available to run Windows Vista if my main machine craps out sometime in the near future.  

So, my question stands, will a dedicated WHS machine support a dual OS boot environment?
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:00 PM

All replies

• Yes it could.

A better solution might be to setup a machine that's a "virtual server" then you can have any number of operating systems running at the same time. One being WHS and the other Vista, or Win7, or Linux, or ... .
    http://www.wwiivehicles.com
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:01 PM
  • I just looked at the cost of virtual server software, and that really puts it in a budget that I can't afford.  It seems that you can't run a 64 bit OS on a WHS machine.   I still wonder, though...can I do a dual boot with WHS (32 bit) with Vista Ultimate (64 bit)?   I know my motherboard and cpu supports 64 bit OS's.   I can have the Vista OS on an entirely different drive from all of the server's drives.   It would just be out of the 'pool'. 
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:01 PM
  • Dual booting Windows Home Server with another operating system can, in theory, be done. It is an unsupported configuration, though, and is definitely not recommended.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:48 PM