Career Advice RRS feed

• Question

• Hello! Guys.
    Actually i need a career advice from you.
    i am thinking about "developer Evangelist" because it satisfies following job criteria which are suitable for me

1. New ,non routine and challenging tasks during job hours.
    2. It will keep me a student forever.
    3. Will give me something extra over all time developer(which i am not excited about).

4. Will give me some time to live my personal life too.

So ,please guide me to prepare for it. How should i plan for it ? 
     Right now ,i am in 3rd year of B.Tech.

Also ,if you have some other options fulfilling  these criteria ,please mention them too.
     I shall be thankful to you for your kind advice.

Thanks 
    Amit
    Monday, November 22, 2010 11:36 AM

Answers

• HI Amit,

I do not understand, what you mean as "developer evangelist". And I have no idea, what you mean with "Will give me something extra over all time developer".

Describe more in detail, what you are looking for and maybe we can help you.

The first step should always be: Get experience! So you should start in a development company and get experience in software development. That way you hopefully see all the different available jobs lile Business Analyst, Architect, ....

If you want to get a lot of non routine, challenging tasks, I would suggest to work as consultant. That way you get into a lot of project in different companies and you always learn something new. But that way, your 3rd point could be hard because you will travel a lot so there is no chance to be at home at your family each evening.

But a lot of companies doing different development tasks and it can be very challenging, too. You always have to learn a lot - In .Net Development, Microsoft always releases new technologies, that you should spend time on. And maybe the company also wants to have some mobile applications so Android (Java?), Apples iPhone (Objective-C) and the Windows Mobile (Silverlight/XNA) must be known.

I hope that helped a little.

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Thursday, December 9, 2010 8:12 PM
    Monday, November 22, 2010 12:10 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Amit,

1) Routine

most IT jobs  are not usually routine, especially if you move to a support role or working on many small projects.

2) A student for ever

you will make that decision, if you become a passionate technologist you will always seek to learn what's new, when work is dull you will likely self study to compensate.

3) If it's "developer evangelist", yes this differs from "developer" but working in any good team on a good project should be exciting.  If you set this role as your target you should consider getting involved in the local IT community as it's part of that role you will be able to see some of the commitments required.

4) I think that's something you should try to find and ask someone who has this role?  Have a look here - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/alowe/archive/2004/02/07/69495.aspx

Many of the activates mentioned in this person's evangelism role will be done outside of normal hours.

Conclusion

I heard someone say recently there are not enough evangelists to go around so it's a good thing to want.  As far as other roles, I agree with Konrad, if it's programming you want to do, and you want variation then you a probably best aiming for a consultancy role which should keep you in client engagement.

kind regards

Ronnie “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” Leonardo DaVinci
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 12:04 PM

All replies

• HI Amit,

I do not understand, what you mean as "developer evangelist". And I have no idea, what you mean with "Will give me something extra over all time developer".

Describe more in detail, what you are looking for and maybe we can help you.

The first step should always be: Get experience! So you should start in a development company and get experience in software development. That way you hopefully see all the different available jobs lile Business Analyst, Architect, ....

If you want to get a lot of non routine, challenging tasks, I would suggest to work as consultant. That way you get into a lot of project in different companies and you always learn something new. But that way, your 3rd point could be hard because you will travel a lot so there is no chance to be at home at your family each evening.

But a lot of companies doing different development tasks and it can be very challenging, too. You always have to learn a lot - In .Net Development, Microsoft always releases new technologies, that you should spend time on. And maybe the company also wants to have some mobile applications so Android (Java?), Apples iPhone (Objective-C) and the Windows Mobile (Silverlight/XNA) must be known.

I hope that helped a little.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Monday, November 22, 2010 12:10 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Amit,

1) Routine

most IT jobs  are not usually routine, especially if you move to a support role or working on many small projects.

2) A student for ever

you will make that decision, if you become a passionate technologist you will always seek to learn what's new, when work is dull you will likely self study to compensate.

3) If it's "developer evangelist", yes this differs from "developer" but working in any good team on a good project should be exciting.  If you set this role as your target you should consider getting involved in the local IT community as it's part of that role you will be able to see some of the commitments required.

4) I think that's something you should try to find and ask someone who has this role?  Have a look here - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/alowe/archive/2004/02/07/69495.aspx

Many of the activates mentioned in this person's evangelism role will be done outside of normal hours.

Conclusion

I heard someone say recently there are not enough evangelists to go around so it's a good thing to want.  As far as other roles, I agree with Konrad, if it's programming you want to do, and you want variation then you a probably best aiming for a consultancy role which should keep you in client engagement.

kind regards

Ronnie “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” Leonardo DaVinci
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 12:04 PM