How would one replace one hard drive with a larger one in WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• Since I basically just started my WHS, this may be a question I will repost down the road, but if for some reason I fill up my WHS more quickly than anticipated, I figured I'd ask.

How would one replace an existing hard drive with a different one, most likely much larger one (i.e. from 1TB to 2TB)?

My WHS is currently running four 1TB drives. Once 2TB drives become a little more reasonable cost, I will most likely start replacing them one by one in place of my 1TB's. How is this accomplished?

Thanks.
    Friday, July 24, 2009 4:43 AM

All replies

• Replacing the first drive is some elusive magical process that from what I can see is full of risks,  see my thread from a couple of days ago.

Replacing the other ones is easy, but you need one empty slot, put the new drive into the that slot  and get WHS to initialize it, then tell it to unmount one of the other full drives.  Server Storage-  > select a drive -- right click remove. It will migrate the data to the other remaining drives in the way it feels  like. It might take some time. Repeat as required.

For the new drive, you could use a sparesdrive that was previosly used - but do not reuse a drive  that was ever used on a WHS system without totally erasing the drive first in a non WHS computer. Otherwise you will likley lose everything.

Friday, July 24, 2009 5:16 AM
  • If you've no spare drive slots, depending on how full your drives are currently, you can use the remove disk wizard, which will move the files off the drive you want to remove onto the other drives. Then you remove the empty drive and put in your new drive.
    Add the new drive to the storage pool, and repeat the above process for each drive you want to upgrade.

The only drive that you shouldn't really touch at all is the drive containing the system partition.
    Friday, July 24, 2009 1:35 PM
  • Generically, in the console you add the new drive to the storage pool, then remove the old drive. If you've got space in your server, you can do exactly that. If all your drive bays are full, get yourself a USB to SATA (or IDE if that's your storage bus) bridge, and connect the bare new drive via USB. Then go through the same evolution: add in console, remove in console. Finally, shut down, physically remove the drive you removed in the console, install the new drive in it's place, and restart.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, July 24, 2009 3:26 PM
  • Ok, great. I have a SATA to eSATA connector in a rear PCI/PCI-e slot that I would plan on using, migrate the data (add in / remove), and then just put the new drive in place of the old. So the system won't get funky on me after shutdown, and changing SATA ports?
    Monday, July 27, 2009 5:24 PM