Using Reports builder 3.0 to build crm 2011 fetchxml reports RRS feed

• Question

• Hello ,

I want to know if it is possible to use report builder to build fetchxml reports for crm 2011 online and on-promise ??

because I think there is a specific type of fetchxml connection that is not existed in the list of connectoin types ??

Thank you.

Zarour

Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:42 AM

Answers

• Hi Zarour,

I used Report Builder before but it doesn't create reports in FetchXML. What I did is to create the report with the Report Builder, then I opened it with Business Intelligence Development Studio (with the CRM extension installed) and changed the queries from SQL to FetchXML. I had to do all of this manually, though.

Hope this helps.

P.

• Proposed as answer by pmdci Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by zarour Thursday, June 28, 2012 9:40 AM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Zarour,

I used Report Builder before but it doesn't create reports in FetchXML. What I did is to create the report with the Report Builder, then I opened it with Business Intelligence Development Studio (with the CRM extension installed) and changed the queries from SQL to FetchXML. I had to do all of this manually, though.

Hope this helps.

P.

• Proposed as answer by pmdci Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by zarour Thursday, June 28, 2012 9:40 AM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:46 AM
  • Thank you,

is there a BID for vs2010 ??

Because I couldn't find it , there is only for vs2008 !!

Zarour

Thursday, June 28, 2012 9:14 AM
  • BIDS is not available for VS2010, you'll need to use VS2008. Nobody ever said building reports for Dynamics CRM would be a simple process ;)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms173767(v=sql.105).aspx

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 does not support Business Intelligence Development Studio Integration Services, Report Services and Analysis Services projects for SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 R2. To work around this issue, you can install Visual Studio 2008 alongside Visual Studio 2010 on the same machine and then open the Business Intelligence Development Studio projects in Visual Studio 2008.

Jukka Niiranen - My blog: Surviving CRM - Follow @jukkan on Twitter

Thursday, June 28, 2012 12:07 PM
  • Hi zarour,

You can install the BIDs from SQL Server 2008 (I recommend R2) installation disk/files by running the SQL Server setup.

It doesn't install the fully fledged VS2008, but only the IDE and components for developing reports. I wouldn't worry too much about it because Visual Studio has been designed to work concurrently with multiple versions installed in the system.

Friday, June 29, 2012 8:49 AM