Backup issue on fresh build RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I just setup my WHS this week and tried to backup my main computer (HP Pavillion m9000t) several times by going to “Computers & Backup,” then “Configure Backup” (used defaults except that I chose to only back up my C: drive) and then selected “Backup Now.”  Every attempt has resulted in the same error which follows: (I am assuming the text on the last line as unfortunately the bottom line is cut off and I cannot read.)

Failure Details for Volume (Local Disk):

An unexpected exception occurred on the computer.

COMException

Incorrect function. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070001)

at

System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRIntern

al(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)

at Microsoft HomeServer Common Client32 Throwl astError()

I’ve reinstalled Windows Home Server Connector but continue to have the same problem.  FYI, last night after loading the connector software on my laptop (Lenovo Y530) I backed it up without issue.

WHS Version Info:
    Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2030.0 

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Kevin

Saturday, April 25, 2009 6:22 AM

Answers

• Thank you Olaf!!!

I deleted Norton Ghost v14 earlier though was unable to restart my computer as instructed by Norton after uninstalling (I was recording "How the Earth was Made" for my son!).  None-the-less, the little window appeared several minutes ago saying that WHS was starting a back-up on the HP client I have been having a problem with... just checked the WHS console and sure enough back-up progress has reached 20%.

Thank you for your help! It appears that Norton Ghost was the issue and as I am now able to back-up my computer with WHS I won't be needing that blasted program anymore anyways!

All the best, Kevin 
    • Marked as answer by pkh540 Monday, April 27, 2009 7:40 AM
    Monday, April 27, 2009 7:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Kevin,
    please check the event log of the client for more errors and warnings - especially COM+ and VSS errors would matter.
    Did you tray already run chkdsk c: /f /r on your client?
    From your message it could be, that the problem is a faulty COM+ installation on your client, but this is always crystal ball reading without more information.
    In this thread you find informations, how to reinstall COM+ on Windows XP (you didn't name your client OS).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 9:15 AM
  • Hello Olaf, thanks for your help.

I am running Vista Ultimate on the client on which I am having trouble backing up. FYI - Had no problems backing up my laptop (Vista Premium 64) and my wife's Dell (XP).  Here's what I found in the event log (sorry, I am a newbie and not sure what I should be looking for):

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        HomeServer
    Date:          4/26/2009 10:41:47 AM
    Event ID:      770
    Task Category: HomeBackup
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      HP-PC
    Description:
    Backup set 3 on SERVER failed: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070001): Incorrect function. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070001)
       at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.Win32.ThrowLastError()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.VolumeBuffer.EndRead()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.Volume.ReadCluster(Int64 cluster)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.Volume..ctor(VolumeInfo volumeInfo, String name, Boolean writable, Int32 bytesPerCluster)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.Volume..ctor(VolumeInfo volumeInfo, String name)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.Run()
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="HomeServer" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="53247">770</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>3</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-04-26T17:41:47.000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>6939</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>Kevin-PC</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>3</Data>
        <Data>SERVER</Data>
        <Data>System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070001): Incorrect function. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070001)
       at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.Win32.ThrowLastError()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.VolumeBuffer.EndRead()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.Volume.ReadCluster(Int64 cluster)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.Volume..ctor(VolumeInfo volumeInfo, String name, Boolean writable, Int32 bytesPerCluster)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.Volume..ctor(VolumeInfo volumeInfo, String name)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.Run()</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Many thanks in advance for your help.  (BTW, where in Germany?  I've spent a few vacations there mostly in Bavaria - beautiful country!)

Best regards, Kevin

Sunday, April 26, 2009 6:38 PM
  • Do you have Norton 360v3 installed on that system?
    I found a thread in the Symantec forums, that enabled tamper protection may leave to this effect in some systems.
    Olaf
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 7:17 PM
  • Not using Norton 360 though I am using Norton Internet Security 2009 on the HP (Vista Ultimate and the client I am having a problem with) and on my laptop (Vista Premium 64).

Sunday, April 26, 2009 7:45 PM
  • Hi,
    according to this thread NIS 2009 can also cause such problems. If possible, try to uninstall the software on the client on which you have trouble and see, if that fixes the issue.
    Olaf
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:54 PM
  • Thank you Olaf!!!

I deleted Norton Ghost v14 earlier though was unable to restart my computer as instructed by Norton after uninstalling (I was recording "How the Earth was Made" for my son!).  None-the-less, the little window appeared several minutes ago saying that WHS was starting a back-up on the HP client I have been having a problem with... just checked the WHS console and sure enough back-up progress has reached 20%.

Thank you for your help! It appears that Norton Ghost was the issue and as I am now able to back-up my computer with WHS I won't be needing that blasted program anymore anyways!

All the best, Kevin 
    • Marked as answer by pkh540 Monday, April 27, 2009 7:40 AM
    Monday, April 27, 2009 7:40 AM