Error when configuring Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Recently Microsoft Dynmaics CRM was installed in our organization by an external consultancy. Currently I am in the process of configuring this for Outlook 2003 and 2007. The SetupClient.exe installs successfully on my standard corporate build test machine along with all the software dependencies. However when I run the configuration wizard after installation it seems to get stuck at the same screen - "Connect to Microsoft Dynamics CRM". Currently the error message is saying "Server was unable to process request" however precedently I had another server related error message.

Does anyone have a clue as to why this happening?

I am logged on as an administrator and have no problem accessing CRM via the company intranet so that would indicate I have connectivity and correct login rights.

Any help would be appreciated

Regards,

Ian Ellis

Thursday, December 11, 2008 5:07 PM

Answers

• Thanks Donna for your help. The engineer used a script which was in a link which you sent. For anyone else who has a similar problem I have pasted it in below:

USE MSCRM_CONFIG
    Update DeploymentProperties SET NVarCharColumn = 'my.crmserver.inet:80' WHERE ColumnName = 'AsyncSdkRootDomain'
    Update DeploymentProperties SET NvarCharColumn = 'my.crmserver.inet:80' WHERE ColumnName = 'ADSdkRootDomain'
    Update DeploymentProperties SET NvarCharColumn = 'my.crmserver.inet:80' WHERE ColumnName = 'ADWebApplicationRootDomain'

Monday, December 15, 2008 10:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Ian,

Try this and see if it corrects the issue:

Rename the "outcmd.dat" file found in the following path after installing the Outlook Client and before Opening Outlook to Configure it:

C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

If that doesn't work, have a read through this post and see if anything here helps. 

http://forums.microsoft.com/Dynamics/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3983460&SiteID=27

You can also run diagnostics on the client by selecting Start, All Programs, Microsoft Dynamics 4.0, Diagnostics.  Also, check your event viewer on the machine to see if there are any more detailed error messages.

I assume you have Outlook configured for your use on the machine where you are testing the install and are logged in as the Outlook user.

Thursday, December 11, 2008 7:38 PM
  • Donna,

First of all thanks for taking the time to assist me with this problem. A few points in response to your suggestions which may also help others:

>> "You can also run diagnostics on the client"

You will only be able to do this once you have successfully configured CRM for Outlook i.e. the configuration wizard must be run successfully first . 

>> "check your event viewer on the machine"

Nothing appears in the application log

>> "I assume you have Outlook configured for your use on the machine where you are testing the install and are logged in as the Outlook user"

I was actually logged in with my admin account during configuration but after logging back in with my standard account (i.e. the same for mail account) I found that the wizard still ran with the same error.

Regarding the forum post and suggestion this applies to those who have installed AND successfully configured the client. I still have yet to reach the point where it gets configured.

Friday, December 12, 2008 10:35 AM
  • Hi, thank you for the clarification on the diag tool, I appreciate it.  It appears that you have a valid Outlook profile on the machine where you are running the configuration.  

Since you say that you are able to connect to the CRM application with the Web client from the same machine, are you sure you entered the correct URL when you ran the Configuration wizard? 

Is there something special about your environment that might impact the Outlook client that would be helpful to know?  You may want to ensure that your Intranet settings under security in IE are set to automatic login with user name and password and also enter the CRM server URL that you are using in the Configuration Wizard as a Trusted Site in IE.  You will also want to ensure that the Outlook process is not active in Task Manager as that will impact the install.

Here is another post that might help but I am not sure if it is applicable to your environment.

http://forums.microsoft.com/Dynamics/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2915997&SiteID=27

Friday, December 12, 2008 2:32 PM
  • Hi Donna,

The URL is correct. You can verify it easily by copying it from the wizard into IE to check that you can connect to the intranet page which also means you get to check any issues with trusted sites.

We can rule out Outlook as an active process aswell.

I have passed on the posting that you reccommended to the consultant who is doing server side configuration for Dynamics CRM. Hopefully he'll come back soon on whether it was helpful or not. Interestingly the error message in the post is exactly the same as the one that we are now getting!

Thanks again for your help 

Friday, December 12, 2008 4:54 PM
  • Thanks Donna for your help. The engineer used a script which was in a link which you sent. For anyone else who has a similar problem I have pasted it in below:

USE MSCRM_CONFIG
    Update DeploymentProperties SET NVarCharColumn = 'my.crmserver.inet:80' WHERE ColumnName = 'AsyncSdkRootDomain'
    Update DeploymentProperties SET NvarCharColumn = 'my.crmserver.inet:80' WHERE ColumnName = 'ADSdkRootDomain'
    Update DeploymentProperties SET NvarCharColumn = 'my.crmserver.inet:80' WHERE ColumnName = 'ADWebApplicationRootDomain'

Monday, December 15, 2008 10:57 AM