WHS 2011 Remote Desktop and Share issues RRS feed

• Question

• Greeting all from Misawa, Japan!!!

Any help is appreciated!!!

I recently purchased the Supermicro H8SGL-F MOBO with 8 Core Processor I have disabled IPMI on the motherboard.

I can install WHS 2011 just fine...my problem comes when its time to connect the clients to the server...its a bit complicated so i will explain to the best of my ability. I am still a newbee... and no im not trying to use the IPMI LAN connection network...LOL

The first thing i notice is that once the server is up and running all my clients can see the server and connect via remote desktop connection... But after about 5 min or so even if i am connected to the server Via RDC or copying files to my server shares from a client computer (no matter which client WinXP or Win7) i eventually get the message that "XXServer is not available or not connected/ or cannot communicate with XXserver"...and i have the option to try again, cancel the attempt to copy to shares to the server folders...its almost as if the server closed the connection. Even after that happens the Launchpad lets me know with the circle flag symbol that the server is offline. Every attempt to connect afterwards...i get the message that this computer cannoct connect to the remote computer....check to make sure its connected to the network..... and all that good stuff. I have even tried with the intel NICs disabled and installed a PCI NIC and i got the same issues.

Two even though i have assigned my server a Static IP my router (Dlink DGL-4500) does'nt show the server as a DHCP client with an IP address. After a google search i was led to look at my router (DLINK-DGL-4500) and found that i needed to make sure that DNS Relay was enabled, supposedly the forum says that that may have caused the issue (If DNS relay was not enabled). On my end DNS relay was already enabled when i had this issue initially. When i turned it off Voila there is my router with its IP address showing in the DHCP list of issued addresses. Mind you i have updated to the latest drivers for the Intel 82745L, it seemed to resolve the issue but...its a no go folks even with the PCI NIC.

Three keep in mind that i did discover some issues with the NIC software for the motherboard. The files for these fixes wont allow me to install them...i get the message "The software your trying to install  requires either a 32-bit or 64 bit system this software is not compatible with this OS"  I have emailed Supermicro...all in all i may end up installing a different OS just to flash the NIC BIOS (at least this is what the readme file leads me to believe) and then Reinstalling WHS 2011.

Im not sure if anyone has the similar setup

Supermicro H8SGL-F, Sil3124  based RAID 5 4 port controller card (300Mbps) 3 WD 1.5TB green drives, AMD Opteron 6124 8 core server processor, 4GB Kingston Server RAM, Dynatron CPU cooler. If you have this similar setup and it works for you please help...I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Clint

CLT
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 12:12 PM

Answers

• For those of you who have a similar motherboard ( Supermicro H8SGL-F) you need to ensure that the MAC address of the LAN 1 adaptor is not showing as the MAC address of the No 2 LAN adapter. Look on the motherboard and there is a sticker on the LAN adapters that will show you what the addresses are suppose to be...(usually the only difference is at the end of the address XXXXXXXX182C or XXXXXXXX182D ...for the last 4) Just pull a start menu...put your cursor in the search block and type "cmd" no quotes. once in type "ipconfig /all" and Windows will give you all the details of the connections. than the LAN 1 adapter then i.e 2233445C for example for LAN 2 and 2233445D is for LAN 1 then you need to run the program from Supermicro that allows you to Reassign the MAC addresses to your LAN adapters. Here is the link from customer support which containg the file you need to complete the procedure. You will have to run the H8GSL.bat file in DOS...from there it will allow you to reassign the MAC adresses to the appropriate LAN adapter.

http://www.supermicro.com.tw/support/faqs/faq.cfm?faq=11618

CLT
    • Marked as answer by oneuneekman Saturday, October 15, 2011 7:50 AM
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 7:50 AM

All replies

• Forgive me the second paragraph second sentence from the bottom change router=server. and  1st paragraph second sentence from the bottom "cannoct=cannot"
    CLT
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:10 PM
  • At a distance of some thousands of miles (Philadelphia/Masawa is around 6k NM by great circle, I think), this has the feel of a network configuration issue, rather than a driver or hardware problem. A test that would be useful to confirm or deny this hypothesis is to connect your server and a client using a "known good" network cable, with no switches, routers, etc. at all in between. Then configure both server and client for DHCP, and reboot. In this configuration they will both use automatic private IP addressing (APIPA) and they'll be on the same subnet, so they should be able to communicate. Test data transfers, connections, etc. in this configuration. If your connection drops, it's a configuration or hardware issue on your server or on your client. If your connection is solid, look to other network components.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:30 PM
  • Thanks Mr Warren...I appreciate your help, i will try it once i finish this 12 hour shift!!!! I'll post what the results yield.

So to make sure i understand correctly...Both the server and client get a connection to each other only with a good ethernet cable (NIC to NIC) ...the WHServer2011 does not get a static IP?

CLT
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:52 PM
  • That is correct. Windows uses APIPA as a fallback if no DHCP server is found (most operating systems do this), and all APIPA addresses are by definition in the same subnet. This allows your client and server to communicate normally, since Windows Home Server is designed for use in home networks where presumably there is only one subnet.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by oneuneekman Saturday, October 15, 2011 7:35 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by oneuneekman Saturday, October 15, 2011 7:35 AM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:17 PM
  • Mr Warren...
         I did as you instructed with two different client computers (Win XP and Win 7) and low and behold it didn't matter if I used a crossover LAN cable or a regular LAN cable I still got the same results...."there is a problem accessing \\server\documents... Make sure you are connected to the network and try again"

Supermicro did reply back and told me to check some issues with the Intel 82745L NICs they didnt have a lot of debugging info for WHServer 2011 so it looks like im the lone warrior on this one. I didnt need to apply the flash for the NIC cards but there was an additional driver attached to the email that i had to install...i proceeded with the connection. The updated driver i recieved from Supermicro didnt change much. The NICs are good as far as the data i gathered from Supermicro...

I had to remind myself that before I built WHServer 2011 with this server hardware, I built it with desktop hardware and I didn't have any of these issues even after connecting to the network. The only thing that has changed is the server hardware that i have used to built WHServer 2011 so im wondering if this may have something to do with the way the motherboard BIOS is set.
         Mr Warren how or what can i do to troubleshoot these computers and find out which computer/setup is causing the hiccup? I normally setup?install OEM systems and do minor network setup...i would say that i have an average skill set when it comes to computers and troubleshooting. Im focused on the server build cause my network has never really given me issues...but since i have added this new build with server hardware i feel as if there is an issue with the configuration of the build.

Mr Warren... Thank again for your help!!!

CLT
    • Marked as answer by oneuneekman Saturday, October 15, 2011 7:35 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by oneuneekman Saturday, October 15, 2011 7:35 AM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 11:34 AM
  • For those of you who have a similar motherboard ( Supermicro H8SGL-F) you need to ensure that the MAC address of the LAN 1 adaptor is not showing as the MAC address of the No 2 LAN adapter. Look on the motherboard and there is a sticker on the LAN adapters that will show you what the addresses are suppose to be...(usually the only difference is at the end of the address XXXXXXXX182C or XXXXXXXX182D ...for the last 4) Just pull a start menu...put your cursor in the search block and type "cmd" no quotes. once in type "ipconfig /all" and Windows will give you all the details of the connections. than the LAN 1 adapter then i.e 2233445C for example for LAN 2 and 2233445D is for LAN 1 then you need to run the program from Supermicro that allows you to Reassign the MAC addresses to your LAN adapters. Here is the link from customer support which containg the file you need to complete the procedure. You will have to run the H8GSL.bat file in DOS...from there it will allow you to reassign the MAC adresses to the appropriate LAN adapter.

http://www.supermicro.com.tw/support/faqs/faq.cfm?faq=11618

CLT
    • Marked as answer by oneuneekman Saturday, October 15, 2011 7:50 AM
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 7:50 AM