Degraded Voice communication RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

I'm having a bit of a problem with my OCS and Video conferencing calls. When a video call is made, the audio and video is nice and clear through the first 2 minutes of the call, but after that we hear a static sound from one side. The noise is not heard on the other end. Anyone else experienced this? Any ideas on how I could get rid of it?

The network backbone is gigabit.

Friday, April 4, 2008 8:36 PM

All replies

•  

Ok, I think I may have found the problem. Still testing tho'

The web cameras we are using has a mic built into it, as well, the laptops also has mics. I've reconfigured the communicator to use the one on the computer (custom configuration) and the static seemed to have not appeared. Like I said, I'm still testing this. I'll post again with my findings.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 1:49 PM
  •  bbbngowc wrote:

Ok, I think I may have found the problem. Still testing tho'

The web cameras we are using has a mic built into it, as well, the laptops also has mics. I've reconfigured the communicator to use the one on the computer (custom configuration) and the static seemed to have not appeared. Like I said, I'm still testing this. I'll post again with my findings.

Nah. I'm still having the same problem. I've seen that if the conversation is paused, then started again, the static goes away. It returns after a few minutes. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this? Logging is enable for the server, but no errors are recorded for this.

Monday, May 19, 2008 6:57 PM
  • Are these calls all internal network calls with high bandwidth or are we talking about internal to internet based clients? 

Monday, July 28, 2008 7:32 PM
  • All internal network calls.

Monday, July 28, 2008 7:34 PM
  • Do many of these conversations happen on a local switch or across routed connections.  Do you have QoS configured in your environment or the QoE Monitoring server installed?

Monday, July 28, 2008 7:42 PM
  • The problem occurs on local switches.

QoS or QoE is not installed on the network.

Monday, July 28, 2008 8:03 PM
  • ok so obviously the problem isnt with the connectivity...  Does this happen on multiple systems??  The only time we experience issues with audio/video quality is when we do not use a headset or earphones when talking over our computers native mic. 

Do you also have problems with Tanjay/Catalina phones or are those not in the environment yet?

Monday, July 28, 2008 11:30 PM
  • The camera we have installed have a built in mic. So I've configured the Communicator to use the Camera mic over the built in laptop mic.

We don't have Tanja/Catalina phones.

So you have pretty much flawless video conferencing when you use a headset (earphones and mic)?

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 2:08 AM
  • We have flawless audio and video with our setup.  Just a note, we have Lifecam NX4000 cameras and we have to use the laptop mic, the mic on the camera is not as good as the camera on our laptops and we get significant voice degredation when we use the mic on the lifecam.

you should try to use your builtin mic vs the camera mic, let me know how that works out.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 12:11 PM